Sponsored

Motor tick....

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
My '17 Mustang has a build date of July 2017 and has made this sound from day 1. The symptoms can always be found under part throttle, up to 2000rpm, while rolling in gear (MT82) at light loads or when under no load out of gear. I have always used the OE filter and run Penzoil Platinum 5W20. I have also done Blackstone oil analyses on every drain and they come back pristine. The motor is silent at idle and at higher rpms. It will also never tick/click when above third gear or when there is a good load on the drive line. At full operating temperature in the summer heat, the car makes 20psi of oil pressure at idle and over 80psi when being run-out. Those pressure figures have never changed since I got the car. My Coyote doesn't consume a noteworthy amount of oil and my catch can always has a consistent amount of oil in it relative to how far I've driven.

I know I am the odd-one out here, but it doesn't really concern me because the noise hasn't accompanied a single ill side-effect that I can find. I've beat on the car and it runs excellent. The sound hasn't gotten any worse or better throughout my course of driving, and it's always there to be found regardless of engine or outside temperature.

That being said, I've still got a year of warranty left and if I do blow it up while being a hoon, I'll let you know. :like:

This is exactly the same as my car. Sounds like a damn old hooptie when I cruise past a wall but 20k miles and no problems other than a cracked valve cover leaking oil.
Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
As far as I’m aware all RHD mustangs conform to the same export spec. No difference between cars sold in UK, Australia, India, Africa etc. In the U.K. we run MC 5w-20. In Aus they use MC 5w-30.
RHD cars all have a different oil filter arrangement and a different oil cooler mounted down the side of the block on an oil manifold so our oil capacity is slightly greater than on LHD cars where the cooler and oil filter assembly are close. Having the cooler physically distanced from the oil filter may also potentially reduce the risk of oil starvation after an oil change if the new filter is attached un primed as the location of the cooler and oil manifold may mean some old oil is retained in this assembly. Personally I always prime my oil filter during a change regardless. Messy job but I’m old fashioned.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
My '17 Mustang has a build date of July 2017 and has made this sound from day 1. The symptoms can always be found under part throttle, up to 2000rpm, while rolling in gear (MT82) at light loads or when under no load out of gear. I have always used the OE filter and run Penzoil Platinum 5W20. I have also done Blackstone oil analyses on every drain and they come back pristine. The motor is silent at idle and at higher rpms. It will also never tick/click when above third gear or when there is a good load on the drive line. At full operating temperature in the summer heat, the car makes 20psi of oil pressure at idle and over 80psi when being run-out. Those pressure figures have never changed since I got the car. My Coyote doesn't consume a noteworthy amount of oil and my catch can always has a consistent amount of oil in it relative to how far I've driven.

I know I am the odd-one out here, but it doesn't really concern me because the noise hasn't accompanied a single ill side-effect that I can find. I've beat on the car and it runs excellent. The sound hasn't gotten any worse or better throughout my course of driving, and it's always there to be found regardless of engine or outside temperature.

That being said, I've still got a year of warranty left and if I do blow it up while being a hoon, I'll let you know. :like:
EXACT same problem. only engine mod i have is the oil catch can from Ford Performance.

Notice is mostly in parking lots. at first i thought it was the tires kicking little pebbles or rocks but it is definitely engine ticking. Mine was noticable after 10,000kms.

BurnsS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT PP Premium
I'll add mine to the list. My will tick from right behind the fender on a cold start. Sounds near the from of the driver's side head. Mine also ticks in rhythm with the motor.
All of the info here has been generous and useful.
I'm dropping off Saturday morning, hoping for the best.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Oh man, that's a lot louder than I'd like, and no way normal IMO... but I'm new to Coyotes. But I can tell you my new Bullitt is silent by comparison. But would you mind giving us details, like miles on your car, if you bought it new or used (and with how many miles), when was your last oil change (and miles on the oil now), and oil you're using, when it started doing it, etc. Thanks.

The other thing is you need to determine WHERE is the ticking coming from. Truck 5.0 motors can tick from defective cam phasers, but Coyotes only have the bad Borg Warner phasers on one side (forgot if intake or exhaust), whereas the 3.5EBs have both, so much more prone to failures. Hopefully it's that, rather than something more serious, but replacing them would still be a mega job, although not as bad as the trucks, which require cab removal, or the entire front of the truck (including suspension) dismantled. Open the hood, and you should be able to tell if it's from the top front, or from the block. Thank you for that too :).

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV

Have I fallen victim?
That's doesn't even sound like the so called "normal" BBQ tick. What does it sound like as you slowly increase RPM from idle to say 2500 RPM?

If a Ford dealership looks at it and tells you that noise is "normal", thsn they don't know much and are trying to say every crazy noise in these engines is "normal" just because of the BBQ tick SSM language.

DSW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT PP
So I originally thought the noise was coming from the fuel injectors since they're known to be loud. But last night as I was on the way home I noticed a slight drone at light throttle around 2k rpm and my check engine light suddenly came on. Dropped it off to Ford this morning and they're telling me they have to replace the vct solenoid.... for reference, my GT is a 2017 with only 36k miles.

Fortunately, it's being covered under powertain so I'm currently driving a loaner till they get the part in. Not sure if the rough idle/ticking noise is independent of that issue but we will see...

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yeah, there's a TSB for that too, with build dates up to Apr 2019. Glad mine is Aug 2019; hope to dodge the bullet with mechanical crap like that :D. We'll see. Good luck.

DSW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT PP
Yeah, there's a TSB for that too, with build dates up to Apr 2019. Glad mine is Aug 2019; hope to dodge the bullet with mechanical crap like that :D. We'll see. Good luck.
Well I went to pick it up Friday and not even 15 minutes later, the check engine light comes back on... so I turned around and took it right back to the dealer. They're now telling me it could be a potential issue with cam phasers.
Sponsored