Sponsored

Another motor tick thread (2019)

howlins550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT PP1, 401A, 10R80, Magneride, Active exhaust, Oxford White
Whats up guys, so i know plenty of people have had the "bbq" "typewriter" tick with their cars. I have seen quite a few people having their engines replaced, as well as a national back order on the shortblock. I have a 2019, thinking that i would have missed having this issue. Well, my car has the tick, it comes and goes and is there on cold starts or at full operating temps. Called my dealer to explain everything, setup an appointment only to have the service department call me minutes later explaining how they spoke with Ford and that it is completely normal. Told me that you can walk the lot and start any of their 18+s and they will all do it. Calmly tried explaining the number of people having scoring on the cylinder walls, and the metal on metal noise. "O thats just the fuel hitting the piston"......I also told her that i spoke with another service advisor at the same dealership who said they have a car in that is being replaced for piston slap.

I dont even know where to start with the frustration on this, seems like every day i'm finding someone new having the same issues. What is it going to take for Ford to get shit done on this? Trying to have the dealer borescope the engine to see if there is any damage. Not going to spend 50k+ just to have piston slap or a faulty motor.
Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
have them take the car back and buy a different car. we have many people with ticks running 9s and 10s. no one knows where the noise is coming from or how to stop it or if its a major issue or just the nature of the engine. if it bothers you get a different car

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear they're not taking you seriously and thanks for another thread on this...we agree you're special!

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Just drive it, and if it breaks down on you or eats an engine, then take it in and have them fix it under warranty. Hard to argue with them when there really isn't a problem that can be verified.

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I tried to look for ways to at least quiet mine down. My only advice, is if you want to do anything to try and quiet it down, is try not to do anything that may affect your warranty. That's about it.

Good Luck!

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Not sure if the Mustang is much different but when I had my Direct Injected VW GTI, it ticked like crazy due to the injectors. This tick sound would be much different than the coyote bbq tick

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
Just SEND IT

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I personally wouldn’t put anything in the oil. If by chance they do look at it and do an oil analysis or something they’ll blame it on additives even though it won’t be the cause. Try finding another dealer that will look at it or call corporate.

Sponsored

T.Man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 GT
I switched from Ford MC 5w-20 to 5w-30 and my ticking seems to have greatly diminished if not gone completely.

OP
OP
howlins550

howlins550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to hear they're not taking you seriously and thanks for another thread on this...we agree you're special!
Not sure what the whole me being special thing is? As for another thread on this, if you buy a $50k car and have a noise that others have had and ended up having their motor replaced, im sure you would feel the same. There have been 10+ cars that i can find now that have had short blocks replaced because of scoring in the cylinders. Maybe its just me, but that shouldnt be happening. On one due to a faulty part or install i can see it, but now that more and more owners are finding the same issues, id say its a big problem. Ford needs to address it and not give the pitiful excuse of "fuel hitting the piston". I sent the video to a buddy who owns a shop, and he said he wouldnt drive the car sounding like that.

OP
OP
howlins550

howlins550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I personally wouldn’t put anything in the oil. If by chance they do look at it and do an oil analysis or something they’ll blame it on additives even though it won’t be the cause. Try finding another dealer that will look at it or call corporate.
Ya, i dont plan putting any additives in the oil. I run the same weight that they recommend so they dont have a stupid issue over that as well.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Honestly I feel if you do end up getting this fixed and they put in a short block you should at least get a reduction in payments. You paid for a car with no issue and personally feel that the car depreciates when it’s had the engine replaced especially being so new. When you go to sell it, if you do, the people who look at it will think it’s a lemon.
Sponsored