Motor tick....

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
first oil change was 1,500...so about 6k. I get it changed ever 3.5k and always seem to notice it more after it's changed.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
first oil change was 1,500...so about 6k. I get it changed ever 3.5k and always seem to notice it more after it's changed.
Looks like our oil changes are the same then. Mine just started after I changed it to amsoil. Went from factory oil to royal purple to redline and now amsoil. I will check and see the zinc content of these different oils. What oil do you use?

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Just the MC crap. Free is free. I was afraid to do my own oil change BECAUSE of the BBQ tick...let Ford do it and get it anyways.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
My two cents...unless the car is heavily modded, the next time it ticks GET IT TO A DEALER!!!! Nothing you have done which you described voids warranty. I would have it checked out.
With the above being said, after my first 1000 miles i dropped the factory fill and went with RP 5w-20. I boosted the car at 5500 miles and switched to Amsoil 5w-30 and now sitting at 10k ready for next oil change. Staying with Amsoil. No ticks of any kind.

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
My two cents...unless the car is heavily modded, the next time it ticks GET IT TO A DEALER!!!! Nothing you have done which you described voids warranty. I would have it checked out.
With the above being said, after my first 1000 miles i dropped the factory fill and went with RP 5w-20. I boosted the car at 5500 miles and switched to Amsoil 5w-30 and now sitting at 10k ready for next oil change. Staying with Amsoil. No ticks of any kind.
I will see if it ticks today after work. Im also getting ready to install a whipple soon so i want to make sure i don't have any issues with the motor first.

Sponsored

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
With respect to the bbq tick, I've heard both extremes. I remember one guy got a block replaced and the majority are told "it's normal"

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
With respect to the bbq tick, I've heard both extremes. I remember one guy got a block replaced and the majority are told "it's normal"
Thats the same thing I heard. Im just worried if I continue with my mods and finally put a supercharger on and then couple thousand miles down the road i blow something.

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
You're reaching pretty far assuming it could be the worst. But I understand why you would. The tick could be anything from an overly noisey valvetrain to fuel injectors. People have different ears and different conditions in which they hear it. Get the car checked out. It's under warranty. My only suggestion is always use a Motorcraft oil filter that way when its at the dealer they can't tell you its not factory oil. Even if you use Amsoil or whatever it looks stock. Helps your case/story/benefit of the doubt. Plus if the motor fails due to particulates, they can't blame you for an aftermarket oil filter. The MC ones have always been pretty good to me and I've never seen one fail at our Ford dealership.

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
You're reaching pretty far assuming it could be the worst. But I understand why you would. The tick could be anything from an overly noisey valvetrain to fuel injectors. People have different ears and different conditions in which they hear it. Get the car checked out. It's under warranty. My only suggestion is always use a Motorcraft oil filter that way when its at the dealer they can't tell you its not factory oil. Even if you use Amsoil or whatever it looks stock. Helps your case/story/benefit of the doubt. Plus if the motor fails due to particulates, they can't blame you for an aftermarket oil filter. The MC ones have always been pretty good to me and I've never seen one fail at our Ford dealership.
Agreed I will take it to the dealer this weekend if the noise surfaces again. Would you recommend Ford racing and will it still be considered non factory or just continue go with mc?

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Agreed I will take it to the dealer this weekend if the noise surfaces again. Would you recommend Ford racing and will it still be considered non factory or just continue go with mc?
I would run either or. The Ford Racing is just a Motorcraft reboxed with a higher standard of production. MC has always been my go to, even on my old 4x4 Daily Driver Ranger. I use whatever oil is on sale but always stick to MC. The mustang receives the same treatment, just Castrol Full Synthetic. No one at Ford is the wiser that I don't use MC oil.

Sponsored

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
whats this bbq tick i keep hearing about
.. i changed mine at 1450 miles to amsoil.. im at 3600 mines now and i dont hear a thing .. i always change my own oil. i did use a ford filter

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
So the noise was still there. I drained a little out and refilled with lucas oil treatment. Still there. I checked with some other folks and they said the noise comes during a new oil change and goes away after couple hundred miles.

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
So the noise was still there. I drained a little out and refilled with lucas oil treatment. Still there. I checked with some other folks and they said the noise comes during a new oil change and goes away after couple hundred miles.
Has to be valve lash you're hearing then. I doubt it's a timing chain issue or rattle from the timing cover. Essentially a lifter isn't pumped up all the way. Improper oiling is the biggest contributor.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Well I have changed mine three times and never heard it...so I don't if that is accurate info or not.

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Here's another video of the sound.
Sponsored