Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have the insider scoop on Mobil 1 0W-40? Is it being phased out??

I used to get this at Walmart cause it was $25 for a 5 quart. The past 6 months, the Walmarts near me seemed to never have their shelves stocked.
I check Amazon periodically and they have it but it's some ridiculous price for some reason.
Now I go to Autozone which is about $10 more per 5 quart but the last few visits, they have zero stock of 0W40. The last visit, their oil shelves looked recently stocked; every brand and every oil type had 10+ cases except Mobil 1 0W40.
Now my wife tells me Costco has oil on sale for cyber Monday....Mobil 1 0W40 is out of stock.
.....Summit Racing shows Mobil 1 0W40 out of stock
.....Napa shows Mobil 1 0W40 out of stock

What is happening?? Is Mobil 1 not going to sell 0W40 anymore?
Sponsored

PSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 17 F150, 00 MB C230 Kompressor
At Bi Mart here in the NW they have it. $27/5 quarts.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
is there any reason you desperately want Mobil? 😄
Comparable 5w-40 Castrol and Pennzoil sells for about the same price, and both seem to be very solid oils.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
is there any reason you desperately want Mobil? 😄
Comparable 5w-40 Castrol and Pennzoil sells for about the same price, and both seem to be very solid oils.
No, not particularly. Just what I've been using the longest.
I've heard some not so nice things about Castrol but then again, some people say Mobil 1 is trash. I guess as long as you change it frequently, the brand doesn't matter.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
No, not particularly. Just what I've been using the longest.
I've heard some not so nice things about Castrol but then again, some people say Mobil 1 is trash. I guess as long as you change it frequently, the brand doesn't matter.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well - if you change it after every couple days on track, then whatever...

https://www.roushperformance.com/bl...ormance-chooses-castrol-oil-for-our-vehicles/

Castrol can't be that terrible if they are the go-to choice for Ford GT 🤪

Castrol EDGE SUPERCAR 5W-50 is the only oil recommended for the FORD GT supercar.
Castrol EDGE SUPERCAR 5W-50 is approved for use in vehicles where the manufacturer requires a product that Meets Ford WSS-M2C931-C. It has been exclusively developed for the FORD GT supercar and is also suitable for use in other performance cars.

Sponsored

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
I also used this in a diff. vehicle, (2007 Infiniti G-35x) I liked the cold pumpability 0w, and the 40, for the auto crossing I did with this car in its younger days. But yes there were times I could not find it, so I went with 0w-30 which seems to be always around.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Out of the several Walmarts that I frequent, I've noticed they are often sold out of many different oils. Their shelves are never stocked full, like in the past. In fact, the more expensive full synthetic seems to be the most available variety they have on hand. The auto parts stores around here have plenty of everything if you want to pay $10 more for a 5 qt. container. They don't even try to compete with Wallyworld.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
@Ewheels , to your point, Mobil1 5w-50, which I am very interested in, is completely gone provice-wide here in Ontario for at least past 6 months, unless you are willing to buy from some shady online marketplace sellers. I think they've been hit with some sort of supply chain nonsense, like lots of other businesses.

TEAsGrabber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Mach1
1 out of the 3 local WalMarts have it on the shelf. I used to run it in all my Mercedes and found some there a month ago when I changed my oil prior to trading my Benz in for my MACh1. Don't let the brand guys fool ya....I have had 2 Benz's with a combined 600,000 miles on them using strictly Mobil 1 0W-40 in them and my 2013 E550 had 50,000 on it when I traded it in! Mercedes puts a Mobil 1 decal on the car for a reason! No oil related failures!

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
1 out of the 3 local WalMarts have it on the shelf. I used to run it in all my Mercedes and found some there a month ago when I changed my oil prior to trading my Benz in for my MACh1. Don't let the brand guys fool ya....I have had 2 Benz's with a combined 600,000 miles on them using strictly Mobil 1 0W-40 in them and my 2013 E550 had 50,000 on it when I traded it in! Mercedes puts a Mobil 1 decal on the car for a reason! No oil related failures!
Yeah, all that name brand loyalty is all well and good but my previous Ridgeline made it to 225k and my Edge is sitting at 203k and all I put in either was either Walmart brand or Amazon brand oil. And neither have had an oil related issue or failure either...

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Likely they are phasing it out. The "supercar" branded 0w40 is the new king of the hill from them. Audi/porsche/vette etc all spec it. Its their esp line. Twice the price but not sure if twice as good. On paper it's stought though.

Most any euro 0w40 will handle a coyote just fine. There's a half dozen specs from mercedes/porsche and a few others that are worth having imho. Ability to stay in grade through the OCI is something most euro specs require. Non euro not so much. High tbn is a plus for our mid sulfur fuels too.

Ive been using valvoline 5w40 euro. Weird but the valvetrain has always been quieter at hot idle vs several different weights of castrol edge and mobil from past oci.

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Mobil one is probably a fine oil. I don't like it because when I used it in my FXD Harley the engine got noisier by about 50%

Gear driven solid cam twin cams are inherently noisey but I couldn't take the extra, so back to liqui-moly.

I put mobile one 5w-40 in my 2002 F150 and the next day when I started it up it hammered like a rod was coming out. I shut it off and waited a few min and on the next start all was fine. When I got home I dumped the M1 and refilled with Valvoline like I usually ran. I got another 65K miles before I traded it on a 2012 F150. Never used M1 since.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Mobil1 5w-50, which I am very interested in, is completely gone
I bought a sizeable stash from NAPA back when it was on discount. Given the price and available of Pennzoil I don't bother looking afield. Plus I prefer 10w40.