Sponsored

0w-20?

Sub-Moa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Magnetic
Ford currently recommends 5w-20 that meets their specifications. Why are they not recommending 0w-20? Less wear at start up and the time it takes for the oil to get to temp compared to 5W-20. I get why some of you guys are running 5W-30 for high performance/racing applications but why is no one talking about 0w-20? Your spirited drives on canyon/mountain roads and punching it on the interstate do not need 30 over 20. Just my opinion based off my father (ASE Master tech) and Bob the oil guy's write ups. Please give me a better reason than just, "My cars have run X thousand miles on Y oil with no issues." I know there are some really smart people on this forum so lets get some constructive criticism/praise for 0W-20 in the Coyote.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Just use 0w40. 20 is too thin. 20 weight is better suited in economy based applications. Not a 435hp performance v8.

RitzGT

Serial Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6sp
I'm going to use what's recommended. I'm assuming that Ford knows what oil film thickness is ideal for this engine. I'd sooner opt for 0W-20 than a 40wt oil.

Then again, the GT500 specified 5W-50, but that was also a different engine...the 5.8L Trinity.

Best,

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I'm going to use what's recommended. I'm assuming that Ford knows what oil film thickness is ideal for this engine. I'd sooner opt for 0W-20 than a 40wt oil.

Then again, the GT500 specified 5W-50, but that was also a different engine...the 5.8L Trinity.

Best,
Even 5w50 was too thick in street driving for the gt500. I owned a 14 gt500. It got 10w30 or 10w40. 5w50 is a track weight. I swear people here need to do more research.

The only 5w20 weight oil that holds up well in our application is pennzoil ultra or amsoil. Otherwise 5w20 is typically too thin. It also depends what someone is doing with the car on what weight is better. 0w40 is a well rounded choice for below freeezing and beating on the car. Bitog has a lot know nothing twits. Very few are great sources to listen too.

Last edited:

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
Just use 0w40. 20 is too thin. 20 weight is better suited in economy based applications. Not a 435hp performance v8.
Then why does Ford call for 5W-20? Do you claim to know better than they do?

Sponsored

RitzGT

Serial Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6sp
Even 5w50 was too thick in that for street driving for the gt500. I owned a 14 gt500. It got 10w30 or 10w40. 5w50 is a track weight. I swear people here are oil stupid.
Old habits die hard. Higher viscosity doesn't mean higher quality or more protection. It's all about maintaining the proper film thickness and making sure the oil doesn't break down during the expected conditions and duty cycle.

My other vehicles use 0W-30 and 0W-40 full synthetic so it would be great if one of those ends up being a suitable alternative. For now, I'm sticking with 5W-20 Motorcraft semi-syn and doing 7k change intervals. My driving is almost exclusively 75 miles a day on the highway commuting back and forth to work @70-ish mph. That's a pretty easy workload for this engine so I'm not stressing over it.

Best,

RitzGT

Serial Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6sp
I know their motorcraft grade is not a suitable 5w20. You missed my edit.
How do you know that? It seems to be reasonably well regarded on BITOG.

If I was going to track the car or do extended intervals, sure, I'd go with a full synthetic. For a daily driver without any performance mods, I think it's just fine.

If you have some evidence to the contrary, I'd love to see it. Always looking to be educated.

Best,

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Old habits die hard. Higher viscosity doesn't mean higher quality or more protection. It's all about maintaining the proper film thickness and making sure the oil doesn't break down during the expected conditions and duty cycle.

My other vehicles use 0W-30 and 0W-40 full synthetic so it would be great if one of those ends up being a suitable alternative. For now, I'm sticking with 5W-20 Motorcraft semi-syn and doing 7k change intervals. My driving is almost exclusively 75 miles a day on the highway commuting back and forth to work @70-ish mph. That's a pretty easy workload for this engine so I'm not stressing over it.

Best,
You missed my edit as well. I cringe for your engine with that long of an interval on motorcraft. If you drive your car pretty normal and not race it around 5w20 would be fine. But definitely not on motorcrafts oil. Most of us that buy the gt beat on it pretty often, so some of us opt for the appropriate weight for that style.

RitzGT

Serial Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6sp
You missed my edit as well. I cringe for your engine with that long of an interval on motorcraft. If you drive your car pretty normal and not race it around 5w20 would be fine. But definitely not on motorcrafts oil. Most of us that buy the gt beat on it pretty often, so some of us opt for the appropriate weight for that style.
I'm sure you have some facts to back up that cringing. If you do, I'd love to see them. Always up for re-evaluating how I do things.

Best,

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
How do you know that? It seems to be reasonably well regarded on BITOG.

If I was going to track the car or do extended intervals, sure, I'd go with a full synthetic. For a daily driver without any performance mods, I think it's just fine.

If you have some evidence to the contrary, I'd love to see it. Always looking to be educated.

Best,
svt performance has coyote/runner oil threads. They dont have impressive results. Only people i see sticking with are people that believe its the only oil that meets fords spec. Which isnt true. Which ive covered here in other oil threads.

RitzGT

Serial Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6sp
Bitog has a lot know nothing twits. Very few are great sources to listen too.
Again, what do you back any of this up with other than an insult? If you've got relevant data, please share it. If you don't have any data, then I promise to give your posting all the attention that it deserves. :)

Not trying to start a flame fest here...just wanting to get knowledge based on actual data rather than tribal lore.

Best,

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
Well I'm running Amsoil 5W-20. I don't care for Motorcraft.

And for the record I ran Amsoil 10W-30 on my 2011 so I'm not exactly saying 5W-20 is a must.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Well I'm running Amsoil 5W-20. I don't care for Motorcraft.

And for the record I ran Amsoil 10W-30 on my 2011 so I'm not exactly saying 5W-20 is a must.
You and i have had oil discussions before. Which i came to find out the amsoil 5w20 did well. I did some research after you brought that to my attention. Pennzoil was the only other 5w20 that did well in our application, especially when beat on on a moderate basis. I still dont recommend 5w20 because it seems people think the Motorcraft is okay to stick with. :lol:

RitzGT

Serial Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6sp
I have the ability to get the Pennzoil full synthetic at a ~10% discount below Walmart's price so I certainly have no problems going that route if it makes sense based on the data.

At the end of the day, it's a small price difference when you're only buying 2 x 5qt jugs.

Best,
Sponsored