Sponsored

0w-20?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yep, Ford calls for 5/30 in many other markets, which have similar climate than TX, so that's why I'm going with 0/30. And that makes me believe all of the durability tests talked about might havea been done with 5/30, and not 5/20 :D. Who knows. Without being there, you can't know what they used. At any rate, I'll use M1 0/30 and see what happens, while other better 0/30 oils come out. M1 0/30 is considered a 'light' 30 weight, so very close to being a 20 weight. Hope that's enough to avoid the dreaded 'tick'. My engine makes normal Coyote noises now, and want it to stay that way. The 0 should also help lubricating the problematic cam phasers quicker, to hopefully avoid issues with them. And finally, my car cleared the TSB for bad cam chain tensioners, since it was built after April of 2019.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Yep, Ford calls for 5/30 in many other markets, which have similar climate than TX, so that's why I'm going with 0/30. And that makes me believe all of the durability tests talked about might havea been done with 5/30, and not 5/20 :D. Who knows.
What would be the point of Ford doing durability testing with an oil specification that is different from what their customers will use? What worthwhile information would it give Ford that the Coyote using oil A can run for X million miles, if they are telling the customer to use oil B?

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
Yikes, The Tick
Direct injection and PTWA cylinders will cause an untrained ear to gravitate to the “Tick”.

Honestly there was a thread a few weeks ago where the forum member switched to Castrol Edge EP 0W-20 and he stated the Tick is gone and the motor runs smoother.

Your Car, your oil choice. I respect that.
Ok man... you sold salesman! Went with Castrol Edge EP 0W-20 with Motorcraft FL-500S all at Walmart. 5 quart jugs were 24 somthin and the filter was under 6 bucks. If they would have had this in 0W-30 would I have gone that route? 50/50. But hard to beat that price for what it is. I'm thinking that with the strength of this oil, I'm not worried as I won't track or road course the car. It will be a DD with most of the time at cruising speed with some revs around the bends. Probably most days I'll drive it, I will put my foot in it over 6K rpms a few times. But I'll be right back at low rpms as I run out of room to play. The brakes will be what's suffering!
Sponsored