Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium

james cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon S550 Owner
I bought one, just haven't installed it. I've been running the H5. Although I've been using the charger/tender when I park it, when I drive, the voltage seems to want to stay down around 12.7 or 12.8, which concerns me. Leads me to believe at some point it'll leave me stranded.

I think I'm going to install the 30 this weekend (and run the reset) and then see how the voltage varies when driving.
Which H5 are you running?

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Although I've been using the charger/tender when I park it, when I drive, the voltage seems to want to stay down around 12.7 or 12.8, which concerns me. Leads me to believe at some point it'll leave me stranded.
You guys have got to stop staring at the voltmeter on this car. It's probably (no...no, it IS) my least viewed gauge on my car. You're gonna drive yourself bonkers. There is absolutely nothing wrong. Know why the voltage is normal (notice I said normal and not low)? Because your battery is completely charged from living on a tender...as it should be! It's not going to pump 14V into a fully charged battery. I'm five years in, on the original battery, and couldn't even begin to tell you when I've ever seen 13V. Why? Mine also lives on a tender. I know a couple guys on here that have changed perfectly good alternators cause they thought they had a problem from constant running in the high 12's. I blame the dealership for changing the alternator, but that's another story.

I think I'm going to install the 30 this weekend (and run the reset) and then see how the voltage varies when driving.
What are you doing for a mounting solution on that 30? Would love to see it.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I bought one, just haven't installed it. I've been running the H5. Although I've been using the charger/tender when I park it, when I drive, the voltage seems to want to stay down around 12.7 or 12.8, which concerns me. Leads me to believe at some point it'll leave me stranded.

Make sure the OEM battery is fully charged before you remove it and the lithium one is fully topped off with a lithium charger before you install.

If you install a partially charged lithium battery, your electrical.system won't like it.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Make sure the OEM battery is fully charged before you remove it and the lithium one is fully topped off with a lithium charger before you install.

If you install a partially charged lithium battery, your electrical.system won't like it.
@Tomster is right. Though the onboard indicators will say it has a full charge, throw it on the proper lithium charger to ensure a full charge before installing. As for the old one, either charge it as well or plan to do the battery reset. Otherwise… the electrical system won’t like it (well said).

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
@Tomster is right. Though the onboard indicators will say it has a full charge, throw it on the proper lithium charger to ensure a full charge before installing. As for the old one, either charge it as well or plan to do the battery reset. Otherwise… the electrical system won’t like it (well said).
Yes, the car has to think it has a full battery and the best course of action is to replace it with another full battery. Or as said, you have to do the battery reset.

The electrical system of your car does not constantly charge the battery like older systems. It will only charge the battery when it thinks it needs a top off. This is probably to save energy by not having to turn an alternator constantly putting out charging amps.

People who do not follow this practice are the ones who report problems. I have done many, many battery swaps between OEM and lithium and have never had a problem by following this practice.

james cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon S550 Owner
Guys is there another antigravity battery with more AH that fits stock location with cover?

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Guys is there another antigravity battery with more AH that fits stock location with cover?
Not without "restart" issues. The highest you're going to get that doesn't have the restart reserve (which plays hell with Ford's elaborate charging strategy) is the ATX30.

The capacity isn't spectacular, but as shown previously in the thread, it's acceptable for all but the most obscure uses. If you're wanting to park the car with a massive stereo system blasting for an hour and the headlights on, it's probably not really appropriate but for daily driving and typical use, it seems to be adequate. This of course assumes you'll use the tender in between long parks as much as possible.

james cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon S550 Owner
Sounds great... you guys have been able to fit the ATX30 without issues?

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Sounds great... you guys have been able to fit the ATX30 without issues?
I haven't tried it, but I've been monitoring the topic. Short ansnwer is "no". The battery is too tall to fit under the battery box lid without some modificaitons to the floor of the battery box. To the best of my knowledge, no one makes a cool, super easy mounting solution like available for the 20. That's why I hope the two guys currently trying to install a 30 post up their mounting solutions. I'd also probably go 30 with a simple mounting solution that retains the lid, but there's also no reason for me to shy away from a 20.

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I haven't tried it, but I've been monitoring the topic. Short ansnwer is "no". The battery is too tall to fit under the battery box lid without some modificaitons to the floor of the battery box. To the best of my knowledge, no one makes a cool, super easy mounting solution like available for the 20. That's why I hope the two guys currently trying to install a 30 post up their mounting solutions. I'd also probably go 30 with a simple mounting solution that retains the lid, but there's also no reason for me to shy away from a 20.
Antigravity has two mounting brackets. The MeLe looks pretty cool (In my opinion).

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Antigravity has two mounting brackets. The MeLe looks pretty cool (In my opinion).

Eehhh...yes/no. Do they have a (generic) bracket for the 30? Yes. Does it do anyting for the application in our car? No, not really. You're still left coming up with a solution to make it fit in our battery box. That mount will even make the battery taller, and work against your effort for the lid issue.

So yes, i'll correct my statement as far as mounts being avaialbe for the 30, but it doesn't alleviate the original problem.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I’m surprised I haven’t seen this thread till today. I had a AG H5/47 and it was hell. My car BMS freaked out anytime the battery reached full charge and will cause my car to go into limp mode until the voltage decreased. When the battery wasn’t fully charged it worked fine. Ford’s BMS algorithm does not like the one in the Antigravity Battery. I had nothing but issues with it and eventually returned it to the vendor for a refund.
That being said, I know another guy who has an AG H5 in his GT500 and hasn’t seen any of the issues I had. So it’s seems it’s hit or miss if it works with your car. At this point I wouldn’t chance it until AG figures out how to get their BMS to play nice with Ford’s.

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
@Evolvd : Did you read thru this thread? Issue is & has been stated many times the 'ReStart" feature. Go with the ATX-20HD as many have, pick any one of several mount options (MeLe, L C Fab, MMR, Fathouse Fab....), fully charge oem & new AG batteries and you're golden. Again, problem was/is those batteries with Restart.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Eehhh...yes/no. Do they have a (generic) bracket for the 30? Yes. Does it do anyting for the application in our car? No, not really. You're still left coming up with a solution to make it fit in our battery box. That mount will even make the battery taller, and work against your effort for the lid issue.

So yes, i'll correct my statement as far as mounts being avaialbe for the 30, but it doesn't alleviate the original problem.
My understanding talking with the AG guys was the MeLe will bolt right in. They supply the necessary hardware and whatnot. I will find out tomorrow LOL, but yes, I know what you mean, it doesn't fit perfectly in the same spot as the heavy old battery.
Sponsored