Sponsored

AntiGravity Battery Failure

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Well...here's an interesting one. My brand new AG battery is dead as a door nail. But check this out...

Been driving the car off and on the past couple weeks. Normal around town driving. Zero issues. Just drove it all day this past Sunday. It's been sitting this week not on the charger due to driving. Car never got below 50° while sitting in the garage.

THIS MORNING, i realized I had left the keys in the car from the past couple days. Go out, get in the car, hit the start button (not to start/crank) just to roll up the window. Car cycled like it always does, window rolled up normally, everything was alive. Fast forward two hours...2 hours later...get in the car to drive...nothing. Dead as a door nail.

The battery is ready 0.0v. Plug in the charger and after a few seconds, shows a fault.

WTAF? Even if...IF, there's nothing that could have been done wrong or left on that would have zapped that battery to zero in a couple hours.

Any ideas?

@Antigravity Batteries
Sponsored

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
Have the battery replaced under the warranty.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
well for sure...just wanted a sanity check that I'm not missing or overlooking something stupid.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
You need to flash shock it into normal voltage for the charger to be able to initiate a charge. The internal BMS has completely isolated the cells for safety from being over discharged.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Leaving proximity sensitive key FOB’s near or in a car, has been the largest cause of battery issues since around 2006.

Sponsored

Ben James

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2018 S550 Mustang GT
We were talking another member having issues with the AG battery in this thread.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...agic-step-to-make-sound-perfect.185530/page-2

I have noticed with the S550 platform that there is a fair bit of parasitic drain on the battery for around ten minutes or so when you first turn the engine off so I made couple of measurements:

About 500 milli amp hours gets drained just turning the vehicle off and leaving it there for it to go through its thing doing self checks prior to it going into sleep mode (ten minutes after engine shutdown).
Also, whoever you open a door or trunk or hood it will start a sequence that drains a little (about 100 milliamperes).

with the Lithiumax battery that I have there’s an app where you can watch how much current is getting drained by the system.

has the AG got something similar?

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
My wife went through the same thing in her Yukon. She left the key on the off position but in the ignition. I think the same thing happens when you leave the key fob in the vehicle. We came out and her battery was D E A D. Used the GTO to jump but I’m sure leaving the fob in the car keeps the system primed and running.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
You need to flash shock it into normal voltage for the charger to be able to initiate a charge. The internal BMS has completely isolated the cells for safety from being over discharged.

How do I go about that? So you're telling me maybe not all is lost? Or is this one truly at 0 and now garbage?

Should I jump it? Is that even an option? Guess if it's isolated, that wouldn't work either?

Ben James

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2018 S550 Mustang GT
My wife went through the same thing in her Yukon. She left the key on the off position but in the ignition. I think the same thing happens when you leave the key fob in the vehicle. We came out and her battery was D E A D. Used the GTO to jump but I’m sure leaving the fob in the car keeps the system primed and running.
Yep. One of the issues with lithiums is that the vehicle BMS thinks that it can initiate self checks and parasitic drain every now and then if the battery voltage is over 12.5v….

lithiums are fully drained by the time the vehicle considers cutting down power use.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
We were talking another member having issues with the AG battery in this thread.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...agic-step-to-make-sound-perfect.185530/page-2

I have noticed with the S550 platform that there is a fair bit of parasitic drain on the battery for around ten minutes or so when you first turn the engine off so I made couple of measurements:

About 500 milli amp hours gets drained just turning the vehicle off and leaving it there for it to go through its thing doing self checks prior to it going into sleep mode (ten minutes after engine shutdown).
Also, whoever you open a door or trunk or hood it will start a sequence that drains a little (about 100 milliamperes).

with the Lithiumax battery that I have there’s an app where you can watch how much current is getting drained by the system.

has the AG got something similar?
I bought the battery monitor device from AG and it’s installed. It’s awesome. My car hasn’t been started in 3 weeks, and my ATX30-HD battery is still at 81%. I make sure I never even bring the key fob with me when entering the garage lol. Car sits locked AND armed. The parasitic draw is under 25mA.

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
How do I go about that? So you're telling me maybe not all is lost? Or is this one truly at 0 and now garbage?

Should I jump it? Is that even an option? Guess if it's isolated, that wouldn't work either?
Check out how to jump start a lithium battery on YouTube. Only takes less than a minute of applying current to it from another battery or old style non automatic charger. Once there’s enough voltage to trigger the lithium charger to read, you can then charge it again with it.

Ben James

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2018 S550 Mustang GT
I think there’s an issue with the battery and it needs to be looked at.

move been running a lithium for over a year now and if I get out of the car and take the key with me it’s at least 98% the next day (8+ hours), whether I’ve locked it, double locked it or just switched off and left it unlocked overnight.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
I bought the battery monitor device from AG and it’s installed. It’s awesome. My car hasn’t been started in 3 weeks, and my ATX30-HD battery is still at 81%. I make sure I never even bring the key fob with me when entering the garage lol. Car sits locked AND armed. The parasitic draw is under 25mA.
Nice how much did that monitor run you?

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
OK...I hooked up my AntiGravity (ironically) XP-10 and turned it on and the car immediately came back to life. Hooked up the C-Teck and it looks like all is well. It's at 11.6v when it came back. So it looks like Cory stated...it isolated itself to save...itself (LOL). No more keys in the car; noted!

But that's why I came here to you guys; I knew there was no way that battery was dead.
Sponsored