Jack Stands & Pinch Welds

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Ill bite.. how does one gently touch a differential on a car? its between the rear wheels and well under the car...

You realize the crank shaft is in no way connected to the differential right?
I'm sorry I meant driveshaft

How he did that (he was an idiot) was he was trying to park his car on a side walk. It was one of those street fairs where everyone parks on the side walk with the passenger side being on the sidewalk and driverside being on the road. Anyways, he gets on and the sidewalk had areas which werent flat. His car was also lowered on KW3 suspension. He scraped it bad and kept on going for a few feet. Then backed out. The car wouldn't move and had to be towed.
Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I'm sorry I meant driveshaft

How he did that (he was an idiot) was he was trying to park his car on a side walk. It was one of those street fairs where everyone parks on the side walk with the passenger side being on the sidewalk and driverside being on the road. Anyways, he gets on and the sidewalk had areas which werent flat. His car was also lowered on KW3 suspension. He scraped it bad and kept on going for a few feet. Then backed out. The car wouldn't move and had to be towed.
That is not gentle..

Here is a picture of the underside of a M3

e46_m3_undercarriage-vi.jpg

Hmm what ever he did I dont think is enough to say diff is fragile though on a M3 it might be. Until recently they were basically a block of steel or iron.

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
:cool:
That is not gentle..

Here is a picture of the underside of a M3

e46_m3_undercarriage-vi.jpg

I still dont see how a curb misses the wheels but hits the Diff.
Car is tilted at an angle. Passenger side is riding on the curb/sidewalk, other side is on the road. He keeps going, but the sidewalk isnt flat and there are areas that is raised.

M3/M5s have a differential that is lower than the front undercarriage of the car. When you look at them from the rear, you will see differential sagging. That's how it has been since E9X generation.

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Here is an example of what I meant, the differential sticks out:

tumblr_m9ek17LxF41qmo21to1_1280.jpg

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
:cool:

Car is tilted at an angle. Passenger side is riding on the curb/sidewalk, other side is on the road. He keeps going, but the sidewalk isnt flat and there are areas that is raised.

M3/M5s have a differential that is lower than the front undercarriage of the car. When you look at them from the rear, you will see differential sagging. That's how it has been since E9X generation.
Yeah he dragged the diff backwards they are not designed to move forward or back he could of tore it off the subframe, Jesus I can think of so many things you could F up doing that.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Im saying for you to say people jacking up by the IRS are ignorant is a stretch when the IRS is a perfect acceptable jack point on a lot of cars that have IRS.

The only reason I even looked is that the rear diff has been the jack point of every car ive owned before this one.

Now I always check before I do it but thats what the internet is for.
The truth of the matter is most are ignorant and have no idea they can cause damage because most irs vehicles arent designed for it. Confirm or deny? I am glad to see you at least checked before you just assume its okay. Its nice to see someone check their manual.

I must say though there is a bit more cars with jack safe designed irs's than i originally knew about. I was wrong that. While its stupid they arent all set up that way, maybe eventually it will be common, if we're lucky. It would be nice to have a quick convenient way to lift irs car when lifts arent present. However its still not that many and compared to the number of irs cars that cant be itd still say its uncommon. I think you may be getting the impression by me saying its uncommon in the automotive field as me implying its rare, which definitely is not what i said. Also by definition common means often. Some still isnt many or common.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
15 pounds is not a deal killer for most folks. They only take a few minutes to take on or off. Reminds me of the joke, In high school used to wear two condoms all day long. Take them off, I'm a WILD man!

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Op i love my steeda rails. While i dont have a gt350 (no need for one, i like drag racing) they will be equally as great for you id bet.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
15 pounds is not a deal killer for most folks. They only take a few minutes to take on or off. Reminds me of the joke, In high school used to wear two condoms all day long. Take them off, I'm a WILD man!
Good point..

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have decided to make a DIY race ramp extender for now. Will make a DIY guide once its done.

Basically I have race ramps (56 version) which was given to me as a gift. However I want to get my own scissor lift but I cant do it yet (just havent had the time to research and need this oil change done asap) so for now I decided to make my ramps work instead of investing $$$ into temporary solutions (like jack stands or rails or larger ramps) which will be replaced with a lift anyways.

My plan is to get two 2x10" that are at least 65" long and join them and place the existing race ramp on top. I will attach a 2x2 possibly on to the base to line it up with the back and the sides of the ramp as a guide so that ramp doesnt slide all over.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I have decided to make a DIY race ramp extender for now. Will make a DIY guide once its done.

Basically I have race ramps (56 version) which was given to me as a gift. However I want to get my own scissor lift but I cant do it yet (just havent had the time to research and need this oil change done asap) so for now I decided to make my ramps work instead of investing $$$ into temporary solutions (like jack stands or rails or larger ramps) which will be replaced with a lift anyways.

My plan is to get two 2x10" that are at least 65" long and join them and place the existing race ramp on top. I will attach a 2x2 possibly on to the base to line it up with the back and the sides of the ramp as a guide so that ramp doesnt slide all over.
Careful. Those race ramps are designed to not slip. I don't recall the extenders being that much money to be a deal breaker (about $115 bucks)

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Careful. Those race ramps are designed to not slip. I don't recall the extenders being that much money to be a deal breaker (about $115 bucks)
Yeah but I already have wood, so when you think about 115 vs 0, it makes a compelling argument.

If it doesnt work, i ll have to get the extenders

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Tried the project today and I hate to admit it but I failed. I did build a nice platform for the ramps and everything went according to the plan, however, it just wasnt enough to clear the race ramps. So my only choice is to pay $120 and buy the extensions at the moment.
Sponsored