Sponsored

Putting the car on jack stands for the winter

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
Going to look into some winter wheels and tires.If I can get a shit set for like 5-800 I will go that route. Otherwise its going to be race ramps and prey the garage keeps it above 20 during the winter.
IMO a sh*t set isn't worth $800....for that much you could get 4 spares, one you could keep in trunk for functional use in season. I'm assuming that like for me buying new rims & all weather wheels is too pricey at the moment.
Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Gm had a problem with the tires cracking when moved in cold temperature. The cold wasn’t the problem. It was moving in the cold.

I think the 14F limit is garbage. These tires are shipped in the winter time. If that was the case Michelin would have to design some system to make sure the tires never reached below the threshold. Semi trucks are not heated and get very cold at night. Think of the liability.
I think the OEM's take this stuff pretty seriously. The March day that my new 2008 BMW E92 M3 was delivered, BMW issued a stop-delivery order on all M3's across Canada, but since mine was already out the door, it didn't affect me. The reason was that the Michelin PS2's that came stock on the car were cold-damaged when the cars were shipped by rail in February from the port in eastern Canada to the west coast. A lot of tires got replaced for cracking problems. Mine were fine.

These days, BMW does it differently. I have two sets of BMW M-rims and star-spec snow tires that are take-offs from M3 and M4 cars delivered to dealers in the winter. The proper wide and soft hi-perf tires for these cars arrive at the dealership by air freight from the factory, while the cars themselves show up on snowies. No more stop-delivery orders required.

So, what does that mean about shipping tires in the winter? As I recall, Ford suspended manufacturing on GT350R's through January and February to avoid potential tire problems, although it's not clear what they did for the 2019+ GT350's with MPSC2's. In any case, the OEM's take steps to make sure that tires aren't cold damaged. What a tire retailer might do is anyone's guess, but I'm sure that MPSC2's aren't big movers in the dead of winter.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Only tire I have had flat spot are bias ply, not to say that does not happen to the cup2

I also live in GA, below freezing not common. This will be my first year having cup2 tires, will see.

OP
OP
Vettel-ish

Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 (SOLD) 11 5.0 TRACK 17 Explorer 16 Fusion
Vehicle Showcase
Only tire I have had flat spot are bias ply, not to say that does not happen to the cup2

I also live in GA, below freezing not common. This will be my first year having cup2 tires, will see.
Again its not the flat spot its the temps. Keep them as warm as you can.

Gray Area GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2013 Boss 302
Brad...are those the 12”? How did you get those under the wheels?

Had my car up with a QuickJack (which is already higher than anything I’ve ever achieved with a Jack/stands) and measured under the wheel specifically for this. Looked like 8” would be all I could fit unless I do something different.
These are the 12" blocks. I use this high lift jack along with Steeda jacking rails. The jack has a 24.5" lift height. One side at a time and it easily lifts the car high enough. I picked up the jack at Northern Tool and Equipment.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200514333_200514333

IMG_7366[6976].jpg

Sponsored

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I feel like your original question was that you were worried about Jacking the car up from side to side. If you don't feel comfortable having one side of the car so high, you can pull it up on ramps (if you have them) first, and then jack up one side from there. That will keep the car more level as you're jacking up the other side. Hope that makes sense...

OP
OP
Vettel-ish

Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I feel like your original question was that you were worried about Jacking the car up from side to side. If you don't feel comfortable having one side of the car so high, you can pull it up on ramps (if you have them) first, and then jack up one side from there. That will keep the car more level as you're jacking up the other side. Hope that makes sense...
It does thank you.

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
Gm had a problem with the tires cracking when moved in cold temperature. The cold wasn’t the problem. It was moving in the cold.

I think the 14F limit is garbage. These tires are shipped in the winter time. If that was the case Michelin would have to design some system to make sure the tires never reached below the threshold. Semi trucks are not heated and get very cold at night. Think of the liability.
I was thinking the same thing.... it’s not like freight carriers are keeping them warm on the way to ford. Plus are they even made in the US? Or France? In that case they are definitely freezing during the transatlantic shipping.

EDIT: upon a second read of this thread.... is the issue now being discussed the fact that the tire does not do well when installed/rolling on a car while freezing?
So in theory if the tires are static (as the car is in winter storage) this should not be a concern?

Last edited:

DirigoDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350
Ok let me ask you this.. more damage to the tires to leave them on the car over the winter or more damage to the suspension by putting the car up.
I drove all last winter in Maine with my cup 2s and they were fine. I have since swapped them for some all seasons and they are sitting on the side of my house wrapped in trash bags. Still fine. Just leave them on. oh btw they are terrible in the snow lol

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Just leave it on the ground. This is the 21'st century, not 1973. What's the difference between your car being on the ground driving vs being still? Point is, the majority of cars spend their entire life on the GROUND. The fact that the car is or isn't rolling doesn't change that one bit.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Ok let me ask you this.. more damage to the tires to leave them on the car over the winter or more damage to the suspension by putting the car up.
I stored my 350 for 3 winters, never experienced one flat spot. And you know how them Wisco winters get. Brrr....

EDIT: the only exception here would be with Sport Cup 2's or similar tire. They need to be in temps above 40 degrees at all times.

OP
OP
Vettel-ish

Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I stored my 350 for 3 winters, never experienced one flat spot. And you know how them Wisco winters get. Brrr....

EDIT: the only exception here would be with Sport Cup 2's or similar tire. They need to be in temps above 40 degrees at all times.
Thats the whole point of this thread lol all good. Yeah I have cup 2 and trying to figure out what to do

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I was having the same concern. I call Michelin and if the tires get below 14 degrees F they are shot (throw away, do not use).
I think there's some form of miscommunication going on here...

Your tires aren't going to be ruined simply by getting cold. However, they may be ruined if you move the car on cold tires. That's very common. 200TW tires from most manufacturers don't hold up well in freezing temps.

You're overthinking this. Pump the tires up to 40psi (measured cold) for winter storage. You may need to check this pressure after a while (especially if you just parked the car after driving it) because the colder temps will drop the pressure of the tire. Don't move the car until you get a day where the tires hit 50 degrees or so. You'll be fine if you do that.

OP
OP
Vettel-ish

Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think there's some form of miscommunication going on here...

Your tires aren't going to be ruined simply by getting cold. However, they may be ruined if you move the car on cold tires. That's very common. 200TW tires from most manufacturers don't hold up well in freezing temps.

You're overthinking this. Pump the tires up to 40psi (measured cold) for winter storage. You may need to check this pressure after a while (especially if you just parked the car after driving it) because the colder temps will drop the pressure of the tire. Don't move the car until you get a day where the tires hit 50 degrees or so. You'll be fine if you do that.
buy these or no?

https://www.raceramps.com/car-storage/ramps/flatstoppers/p/RR-FS-10/
Sponsored