Sponsored

How to jack the rear to place stands underneath the car?

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
As the title states, this is for the GT350. I've read the online manual and it does not clearly state how to do all 4. It explains how to change a single tire and that's all. I'm getting a bit frustrated because it seems like Ford wants all users to go straight to the dealer or for you to own a lift as it can do all 4 evenly at once.

My goal is to get all 4 stands underneath the car. Your assistance/knowledge would be helpful. I'd like to avoid the differential. Only have 1 jack and 1 body to do this so having two jacks and 2 people to do the rear at the same time is out of the question.

attachment-jpg.jpg

screenshot-25-jpg.jpg

Let's pretend the above picture is accurate. Does that mean I need to purchase a different type of jack that can jack the control arm in the rear at the same time evenly? I was trying to find 1 center jack point in the rear that wasn't the differential. This appears to be the number one question that everyone appears to miss when replying.
Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Well, I did read your thread, so don't think I'm blowing by it or discarding your statements. As someone who does not have a lift and has had mine all the way in the air on several occasions, I will just say not having two jacks is your limiting factor. I wouldn't even attempt it with one jack on this thing. I don't think everyone is missing your question about a single jack jacking point in the rear; I don't think there is such a point. Even if you were going jack the rear with the center diff (I wouldn't either I don't think), that leaves for a rickety way to do the front. Two of those 1.5 ton lightweight aluminum jacks really truly are your best friends. Can even get some good ones from Harbor Freight fairly cheap. Think I paid ~$75 for mine and they've been solid performers for years. With these two jacks, it's still easily a one man job. I don't worry about the Harbor Freight reliability cause I'm not getting under any car with any jack without stands. That one extra jack opens up a ton of jacking options, locations, and ease of access for ya. But, maybe you'll get lucky and someone has a one jack method.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I have the steeda jacking rails and I use one floor jack on the jacking rail to lift the car to service all four tires at once. Placing the jack slightly behind the rear view mirror (front to rear), one side of the car comes up. Then I put jack stands at the front and back of the jacking rail. Then I go to the other side and repeat. Works great.

OP
OP
NoXiDe

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I have the steeda jacking rails and I use one floor jack on the jacking rail to lift the car to service all four tires at once. Placing the jack slightly behind the rear view mirror (front to rear), one side of the car comes up. Then I put jack stands at the front and back of the jacking rail. Then I go to the other side and repeat. Works great.
Seems a bit unsafe for my comfort zone. Feel like the jacks stand would fall sideways.

I found in another thread that there is an extension for the jack to allow you to use the cross beam.

It sounds like I need to order the Pittsburgh Cross Beam Extension and the Pittsburgh Floor Jack.
https://www.harborfreight.com/steel-floor-jack-cross-beam-60762.html
harbor freight's steel floor jack cross beam item 60762

I'm having a hard time locating the cross beam using the pictures above. Can someone help me out by circling where that is on a mustang? I found it on other car pics after attempting to look what a cross beam would look like on another vehicle.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Aaahhh dang it... totally forgot about that! Yea, this works like a champ too. Only reason I haven't bought jacking rails is cause I already had the two jacks and have a method down that works for me. Otherwise this is the way with one jack. It's completely safe. Those stands aren't going anywhere. You can find quite a few videos of guys doing this every day.

Sponsored

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
That's the way I do it. The Steeda rails can be installed with the car flat on the ground. Up on all fours quickly and solid. They are not expensive either.

ValidusTalon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP + FRPP2
This is how I do it as well, one side at a time, using a single jack w/jacking rails. At first I was a little worried about the angle (car leaning sideways) as I did the first side then moved to the 2nd, but having done it now several times it hasn't been an issue at all (Steeda also has a demo video showing them doing it this way). Just make sure your jack stands are well planted and stay out from under the car 'till you are good and sure it's supported. I will typically leave the jack under one side (if not in the way) just in case... Also I generally put the jack stands on the pinch welds (for and aft)... It gives a reasonable distance between them and is what they are designed for.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
Seems a bit unsafe for my comfort zone. Feel like the jacks stand would fall sideways.

I found in another thread that there is an extension for the jack to allow you to use the cross beam.

It sounds like I need to order the Pittsburgh Cross Beam Extension and the Pittsburgh Floor Jack.

I'm having a hard time locating the cross beam using the pictures above. Can someone help me out by circling where that is on a mustang? I found it on other car pics after attempting to look what a cross beam would look like on another vehicle.
I don't think this is going to work as the whole jack assembly with the cross beam will be to tall to get under the car. Either spending $75 for another jack (the Harbor Freight 1.5 ton one is a nice jack) or spending a little more to install jacking rails so you can lift a side at a time with 1 jack are your best choices.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I have jacked up my GT via Steeda jacking rails (brand of jacking rail does not matter) starting on one side, putting stands in, then going to the other. Your concern should be the ability of the jack to roll as the car moves. The jack stands on the other side are unlikely to tip if the jack is able to roll properly. Don't this a bazillion times with no issues. Two jacks is helpful but I find that process cumbersome.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Of course safety is very important and you shouldn't do anything that makes you feel uncomfortable. It probably depends on what jack stands you use as well as your technique and how high you are raising the car. If you are trying to get the car extremely high in the air, you will want to do it in multiple steps. For changing tires, it only requires a single lift per side with the jack and jack stands that I use.

I feel that I am 100% safe jacking up the car this way. I have done it quite a few times with no problems whatsoever. However, I do have good equipment and a lot of experience doing my own work on cars.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Seems a bit unsafe for my comfort zone. Feel like the jacks stand would fall sideways..
While I doubt the stands will tip over, I think there is some risk they could slip out from under what they are supporting if you lift high enough and end up with a steep angle. I also use jacking rails but raise the car to the max in three steps. I jack one side half as much as I want to end up at and put jack stands under that side. Then I go to the other side and jack it up to the desired height and put jack stands under it. Then I return to the first side and jack it the rest of the way up and raise the jack stands. Reverse to lower.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350

I bought the cross beam adapter with the same line of thinking that you are going through. The only problem with the cross beam is that you won't be able to fit it under the car. The jacking rails are really the best and safest option for you and the car and make the job very easy. Takes about 2 minutes to put the car up on 4 jack stands.
I now have a cross beam adapter that I cannot use.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I've jacked up my car with 1 jack and (4) jack stands 15-20 times now. On a flat surface, I've had good luck with 1 jack + 4 jack stands + steeda jacking rails (used in the method above) for getting the car up enough to slide the jack stands under on their lowest setting. Going up much higher dramatically increases the chance of the stands tilting and falling over while jacking up the second side (or putting the car back on the ground).As @wildcatgoal says, making sure your jack can roll easily is key.

However, there are enough variables involved in doing it safely that I said f*** it and I bought quickjacks (also makes alignments much easier for me). Much more stable and flexible. Plus, now tire rotations at the track are a breeze since I got the 12V version.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Like several said before- rails (from a reputable company), 4 jack stands, jack incrementally to desired height.

I do this to get all four tires up to approximately 6” to get my homemade wheel cradles underneath. Good enough to do what I need to do under there...MGW install, oil changes, diff temp sensor install, end of season cleaning....

I think Somewhere in the Owners Manual or Supplement is a cautionary statement from Ford advising against jacking from the pumpkin..

Last edited:

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
This is exactly what I do and I do it all the time. I track my car so it goes up on stands as soon as it comes back from the track and then goes back up again before going to the track again. It's easy and one person can do it in 5 minutes. (Note that it takes me a couple of minutes longer than it might take you since I have a Race Deck floor and have to put plywood under the jack and jack stands and I am 77 years old.)

<TED>
Sponsored