Sponsored

GT350 and 6 Ton Jack Stands?

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Haven’t had time to get into the shop lately to check it out so I’ll throw the question out here: what size/weight jack stands are you guys using? I have four of the 6 tons in the shop that seem kind of tall for this car... I have a low profile jack that will fit under it and I have a set of Steeda jacking rails I need to install.

I want the car up high on all fours because I have an MGW shifter to install... I could get some 3 tons but they seem too damn small especially at the base lol. Any advice?

Also what’s the consensus on jack stand placement when using the Steeda jack rails? Stands on each end of the rails? Or at factory jack points? My stands have rubber heads on the end so I don’t expect the to damage the pinch welds...
Sponsored

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
The height of your jack stands that you can use is mostly controlled by how high your jack can get the car on the first side. Once you have the jacking rails installed, if you can get the first side up and your larger jack stands under, you will be OK. If not, you can start with the smaller stands and go up in stages, the rails make it easy and placing the stands on each end of the rails works great. I use 6 ton stands and use a 4 x 4 with my jack to get the additional 3.5 inches that the larger stands provide.

OP
OP
madlag

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Got her up on the 6 tons no problem at all. Installed the jacking rails and getting ready for shifter install. I'm really glad to be using the bigger jack stands due to the wider base. Those smaller 3 tons make me a bit nervous when jacking up the other side.

Doskiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
Got her up on the 6 tons no problem at all. Installed the jacking rails and getting ready for shifter install. I'm really glad to be using the bigger jack stands due to the wider base. Those smaller 3 tons make me a bit nervous when jacking up the other side.
I agree about the smaller stands ......... I have some 7 tons that I use with mine. I want to be darn sure that I am coming out from underneath the car so I can continue to drive it ............ :D

Sponsored

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Glad you resolved your issue, but confused why a 1.5 ton car would make you nervous on four 3 ton jacks?

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
OP
OP
madlag

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Glad you resolved your issue, but confused why a 1.5 ton car would make you nervous on four 3 ton jacks?
Thanks. As stated above by myself and few others its not a weight/capacity concern. It has to do with the size or footprint of the 3 ton vs 6 ton jack stands. Smaller base = more likely to tilt and fall. I like wider based stands if I’m jacking up all four corners. The little ones just make some (me) nervous lol. Prob irrational fear.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I have a set of Esco stands as well. Used them all the time before I got a 4 post lift.
I like them a lot. Pads are almost toast so I’ll need new ones but other than that rock solid
Sponsored