Sponsored

Jack Stands & Pinch Welds

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Then it was designed with jacking there in mind. Most irs are not set up that way. Thats quite uncommon.
Hmmm it's not uncommon at all all lexus and Toyota I checked so far have that as a point.

Oddly america cars do not seem to have that as a point

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Hmmm it's not uncommon at all all lexus and Toyota I checked so far have that as a point.

Oddly america cars do not seem to have that as a point
Obviously its not uncommon there if they put it on a vehicle. Toyota usually sticks with what works well for them for decades before they change. I worked there as a master tech in the 90s before i was at subaru (who also uses irs in their vehicles) followed by ford and currently bmw. 3 decades in the automotive industry. I can tell you irs as a jacking point is most certainly not common.

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Obviously its not uncommon there if they put it on a vehicle. Toyota usually sticks with what works well for them for decades before they change. I worked there as a master tech in the 90s before i was at subaru (who also uses irs in their vehicles) followed by ford and currently bmw. 3 decades in the automotive industry. I can tell you irs as a jacking point is most certainly not common.
I appreciate the info, won't be doing it to this car. I wonder if the 03 having all upgraded bushings and a stop the hop kit made any difference........

Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If I jack up the car as per the manual by the pinch welds and they bend and/or rust, thats a warranty claim no?
No, just no. If the pinch weld is slightly bent or has some surface rust, it will in no way effect performance or longevity of the car. :doh:

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I appreciate the info, won't be doing it to this car. I wonder if the 03 having all upgraded bushings and a stop the hop kit made any difference........
Im just the resident asshole on the forum trying to save people money and headaches. I may not be the most popular person here but i do my very best to not spread any misinformation. :cheers:

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Im just the resident asshole on the forum trying to save people money and headaches. I may not be the most popular person here but i do my very best to not spread any misinformation. :cheers:
Yea, I get it. In my defense the 03 was the only IRS car I ever had before the 350. Everything else had live rear axles. I'm curious what damage occurres from jacking the car up by the rear diff on these cars?

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Yea, I get it. In my defense the 03 was the only IRS car I ever had before the 350. Everything else had live rear axles. I'm curious what damage occurres from jacking the car up by the rear diff on these cars?
I imagine just like any irs not designed with that in mind, snapped cradle bolts and potential damage to other components. Ive "heard" from other techs they can bend but ive never seen it. However that doesnt mean its untrue.

whatjones911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pretty Fast
Voodoo you must not jack an irs car by its "rear axle" or diff. Thats just asking for trouble.
Not true. There are many cars that the manufacturer specifies the diff as a central jack point. Though, the mustang is not one of them.

Sponsored

5.2 VooDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Comp. Orange GT 350 - Born March 3rd - Arrrived March 14th
Not true. There are many cars that the manufacturer specifies the diff as a central jack point. Though, the mustang is not one of them.
Good point...perhaps we can refer to the suggested jack points for THIS car as provided in other threads...end of discussion?