Sponsored

Jack Stands & Pinch Welds

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
Install them today and they seem fairly light I would think they weigh less than 20 pounds together I was also concerned about adding the extra weight but if it really comes down to it I'll just take them off when I go to the track but I doubt it will make much difference and will add a huge convenience to working on the car
Sponsored

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Just out of curiosity, the jack stands can be placed anywhere across the steeda jack rail? Or is the rail only for jacking the car up and not for jack stands for extended periods of time?

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I don't know about my the 15 and newer, but on my older cars, fox bodies and sn95s I always jacked them up by the rear axle and front k member. I drive on to four 2x12s then jack up the front then the back, both ends in the air on jacks. Then I have some jack stands that are almost flat across the top, only little tits on each end, they have thick towels wrapped around them and taped on. I slide them in under the sub-frame as far forward and as far back as possible. I never lift my car by the pinch welds or set them on the pinch welds. I've seen way too many twisted and smashed. That and if you chip the paint on the pinch welds the rust very quikly. I haven't jacked my 350 up yet to see if this will still be the way I do it.....

Sponsored

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
If I jack up the car as per the manual by the pinch welds and they bend and/or rust, thats a warranty claim no?

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Voodoo you must not jack an irs car by its "rear axle" or diff. Thats just asking for trouble.
Can't use the diff? Always did with my 03 Cobra and never had an issue.... Like I said I've never even looked under the car yet. I've had it since July but only put 240 miles on it and don't even keep it at home for now due to a remodeling.

Sponsored

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Just to be clear, its not 12 lbs, but 24 lbs right? 12 lbs per side?
No way. These are not more than 6lbs per rail. 12 lbs in total.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Can't use the diff? Always did with my 03 Cobra and never had an issue.... Like I said I've never even looked under the car yet. I've had it since July but only put 240 miles on it and don't even keep it at home for now due to a remodeling.
Ugh. i fixed more 03-04 cobras irs while i was a master tech at ford because of posts like this. The cradle bolts were not designed to support damn near 3/4s the car weight. I repeat do not use the IRS. It is not okay. People that use IRS diffs as a jacking point are ignorant to the design of irs. Please dont do that to your gt350. You wont like how much it costs to fix. You also wont be able to claim a warranty either. Itll be obvious abuse.

Last edited: