Putting the car on jack stands for the winter

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
I think there's some form of miscommunication going on here...

Your tires aren't going to be ruined simply by getting cold. However, they may be ruined if you move the car on cold tires. That's very common. 200TW tires from most manufacturers don't hold up well in freezing temps.

You're overthinking this. Pump the tires up to 40psi (measured cold) for winter storage. You may need to check this pressure after a while (especially if you just parked the car after driving it) because the colder temps will drop the pressure of the tire. Don't move the car until you get a day where the tires hit 50 degrees or so. You'll be fine if you do that.
I thought the same thing. Michelin's response was that the tires are ruined if they get that cold regardless of if the car is moved (or even if they are off the car!)

Didn't want to risk it.

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
Well this is a bit of a concern, what about those who may be taking delivery of their car in the winter months?

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
I went through cold winters with 3 corvettes with runflats. One was actually left outside for 5 years.
Never lifted them, never had a flat spot in the tires. If it really bothers you, once a month put it in neutral and roll it forward./backward a foot or two. A lot easier.

DaveB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase
I think the OEM's take this stuff pretty seriously. The March day that my new 2008 BMW E92 M3 was delivered, BMW issued a stop-delivery order on all M3's across Canada, but since mine was already out the door, it didn't affect me. The reason was that the Michelin PS2's that came stock on the car were cold-damaged when the cars were shipped by rail in February from the port in eastern Canada to the west coast. A lot of tires got replaced for cracking problems. Mine were fine.

These days, BMW does it differently. I have two sets of BMW M-rims and star-spec snow tires that are take-offs from M3 and M4 cars delivered to dealers in the winter. The proper wide and soft hi-perf tires for these cars arrive at the dealership by air freight from the factory, while the cars themselves show up on snowies. No more stop-delivery orders required.

So, what does that mean about shipping tires in the winter? As I recall, Ford suspended manufacturing on GT350R's through January and February to avoid potential tire problems, although it's not clear what they did for the 2019+ GT350's with MPSC2's. In any case, the OEM's take steps to make sure that tires aren't cold damaged. What a tire retailer might do is anyone's guess, but I'm sure that MPSC2's aren't big movers in the dead of winter.
I know the 5th gen camaros the 1LE and Z/28s weren't built late November-late feb early March. I dont know about the mustangs with summer only tires.

Sponsored

DaveB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase
I drove all last winter in Maine with my cup 2s and they were fine. I have since swapped them for some all seasons and they are sitting on the side of my house wrapped in trash bags. Still fine. Just leave them on. oh btw they are terrible in the snow lol
I drove my 13 1LE camaro year round for 6 years even in snow, with Michelin supersports. Not the best, but driving sensibly they did just fine. And no cracks or anything.

Hockeyfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt Magneride, electronics, pac, Steeda Jack rails, Weather Teck Floor liners, SunTek PPF full front
I have what some may think is a silly question. If I jack the car up and have it on jack stands for the winter how do I support the suspension? Thanks guys, have a good one.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
I have what some may think is a silly question. If I jack the car up and have it on jack stands for the winter how do I support the suspension? Thanks guys, have a good one.
Iā€™ll assume your Bullitt will be garaged for the winter.
Are you going to be working under the car during storage or will the car just sit? If itā€™s just going to sit, itā€™s not necessary to jack it up. Just air up to 40psi or so and check periodically.
Take my advise for what itā€™s worth, I donā€™t live in snow country.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
You can put jackstands under the rear control arms, but I haven't looked to see if this can easily (or at all) be done on the front. Again, I think the consensus from this very thread is that this is a totally unnecessary action.

Sponsored

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
I feel like your original question was that you were worried about Jacking the car up from side to side. If you don't feel comfortable having one side of the car so high, you can pull it up on ramps (if you have them) first, and then jack up one side from there. That will keep the car more level as you're jacking up the other side. Hope that makes sense...
Ramps are tough with a 350 - I just sold my old NIB ones after using them one time under wheels after jacking. Cant drive up the old style ramps because of chin spoiler & related aero clearance is so low (my 69's chin spoiler was not as bad becuase it didn't wrap as far off center near wheels) and these stock tires are wide enough to grossly overhang the ramp width. So those nice flat stopper ramps or similar (even home made with timbers ripped to a <7deg angle are the next best idea.....maybe next year.

Hockeyfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt Magneride, electronics, pac, Steeda Jack rails, Weather Teck Floor liners, SunTek PPF full front
Iā€™ll assume your Bullitt will be garaged for the winter.
Are you going to be working under the car during storage or will the car just sit? If itā€™s just going to sit, itā€™s not necessary to jack it up. Just air up to 40psi or so and check periodically.
Take my advise for what itā€™s worth, I donā€™t live in snow country.
Thank you, have a good one

Hockeyfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
You can put jackstands under the rear control arms, but I haven't looked to see if this can easily (or at all) be done on the front. Again, I think the consensus from this very thread is that this is a totally unnecessary action.
Thank you, have a good one.
Sponsored