Sponsored

How to jack the rear to place stands underneath the car?

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
the wheel cribs are nice, well done. only thing is you cant work on the wheels with those (eg, removal). otherwise i like it.

+1. Guess the older I get the more I dislike being under a car on jack stands. For under car stuff I built a set of wheel cribs out of 2x4's. Easy, inexpensive, safe, and they can be modular.

915h3303-jpg.jpg
Sponsored

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
a few of you have recommended the HF 1.5 ton floor jack. with the shelby being about 3,700 lbs, i assume having 2 of those 1.5 ton jacks can prop the car up at the same time safely? seems like lifting 1 side with 1 jack would be fine (as some of you have said already) since it's probably not exceeding 3k lbs, but just confirming that using 2 of those 1.5 ton jacks can safely lift the car. looking for confirmation, otherwise i'll get the 3 ton jacks. planning to get 2 jacks.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
i think the bottom line is i will either get two 3-ton low profile jacks or two 1.5 ton low profile jacks, both are Harbor Freight. Difference in cost is about $65 total. if the 1.5 ton jacks will suffice, i'd prefer them for the weight and cost savings. but if there are significant benefits to the 3 ton jacks, i'll just get those. HF sale is going on now so please chime in thanks.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
I have two of the 1-1/2 ton aluminum Harbor Freight jacks and I think they are adequate in capacity. I also have a Sears 3 ton and a couple old, small 2 ton units that I've sort of side lined. Overall I'm happy with the HF jacks although once while lifting my 67 GTX front with two jacks, one of them suddenly lost pressure and dropped the side of the car - fortunately not damage done. I've blamed it on my not tightening down the bleed screw snuggly but it has made me a little extra cautious in using them. It never hurts to stress - never get under a car until the jack stands are placed under it - even if 2 jacks are used.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I have two of the 1-1/2 ton aluminum Harbor Freight jacks and I think they are adequate in capacity. I also have a Sears 3 ton and a couple old, small 2 ton units that I've sort of side lined. Overall I'm happy with the HF jacks although once while lifting my 67 GTX front with two jacks, one of them suddenly lost pressure and dropped the side of the car - fortunately not damage done. I've blamed it on my not tightening down the bleed screw snuggly but it has made me a little extra cautious in using them. It never hurts to stress - never get under a car until the jack stands are placed under it - even if 2 jacks are used.
ok thanks for the input. i think i'll go with the 1.5 ton jacks. on sale now for $60 each. i actually have a sears 3 ton jack also, but it is not low profile so i cant get under the car with it. i'll probably keep it though for my other cars. thanks again.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
ok thanks for the input. i think i'll go with the 1.5 ton jacks. on sale now for $60 each. i actually have a sears 3 ton jack also, but it is not low profile so i cant get under the car with it. i'll probably keep it though for my other cars. thanks again.
You may still be able to use your 3 ton jack by starting on one side at the rear or front with the low profile jack and raise that side a couple inches which should bring the other side along enough for the 3 ton jack to get under it. Just have to lower the car back down in sort of a coordinated effort so the 3 ton doesn't get stuck under it.
Sponsored