Sponsored

Jack Stands & Pinch Welds

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I know there is steeda rails, but I really dont want to add 30 lbs of weight to my car. So assuming that is not an option, has anyone actually used jack stands on the pinch welds and bent them? I have seen in other forums many people mentioning (there was one guy who actually works as a tech who said they lift these cars on the pinch welds all the time and not once they bend) that this is fine.

I kind of think $140 and 30 lbs is an overkill for something that should work out of the box, no? I'd rather spend that $140 towards a higher quality jack stands?

I know they sell those specific adapters for the jacks themselves to place them but I guess that wouldnt work for jack stands.

Going back and forth between investing in jack stands and race ramps for the oil change. I now have close to 850 miles, so need to take care of the oil change soon. Ramps are convenient but eventually I will need the stands to do brake work or any suspension work, not to mention Ramps are really expensive ($450 for the 67" one with the extension or $408 with the 80" one) and will never give as much lift as the stands.

The other option is to spend a bit more, once and for all and get an average scissor lift? I cannot do 2 or 4 post lift as my ceiling is less than 8 ft high (old house).
Sponsored

jonesd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350
I know there is steeda rails, but I really dont want to add 30 lbs of weight to my car. So assuming that is not an option, has anyone actually used jack stands on the pinch welds and bent them? I have seen in other forums many people mentioning (there was one guy who actually works as a tech who said they lift these cars on the pinch welds all the time and not once they bend) that this is fine.

I kind of think $140 and 30 lbs is an overkill for something that should work out of the box, no? I'd rather spend that $140 towards a higher quality jack stands?

I know they sell those specific adapters for the jacks themselves to place them but I guess that wouldnt work for jack stands.

Going back and forth between investing in jack stands and race ramps for the oil change. I now have close to 850 miles, so need to take care of the oil change soon. Ramps are convenient but eventually I will need the stands to do brake work or any suspension work, not to mention Ramps are really expensive ($450 for the 67" one with the extension or $408 with the 80" one) and will never give as much lift as the stands.

The other option is to spend a bit more, once and for all and get an average scissor lift? I cannot do 2 or 4 post lift as my ceiling is less than 8 ft high (old house).
I thought steeda jack rails weighed 12lbs for the pair plus hardware?

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
It says 15 lbs on their site. Even then, its not insignificant considering a track pack car weighs 3780 lbs and an R with electronics pack weighs 3710 lbs.

Its really more of a personal thing, I dont want to add 2 big metal bars to my car.

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
That would work for the jack not for jack stands though, how do you put a hockey pock to a jack stand?
Dude... get 4 metal pucks and weld them to the pinch welds and be done with it. That's what I'd do if I were as concerned as you.

I can tell you now, the Steeda rails are the best DIY assist device I have ever put on a car... well worth the little bit of dough and the 15 pounds of heft. Plus, it's weight added below the center of gravity.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I use jack stands on the factory pinch welds all the time. Just lower it onto the jackstands slowly and carefully and you won't bend them. Drop the car on the jackstands and all bets are off.

I do use a block of wood to protect the car from the jack itself though

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I use jack stands on the factory pinch welds all the time. Just lower it onto the jackstands slowly and carefully and you won't bend them. Drop the car on the jackstands and all bets are off.

I do use a block of wood to protect the car from the jack itself though
My jacks all have hard rubber as part of the head, isnt that enough?

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
I'll keep my Steeda jacking rails and just lose 12 lbs :D

The metal pucks sound like your best option if worried about weight.

Sponsored
OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'll keep my Steeda jacking rails and just lose 12 lbs :D

The metal pucks sound like your best option if worried about weight.
Just to be clear, its not 12 lbs, but 24 lbs right? 12 lbs per side?

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
We really needed a 2nd thread on this.
I'm sorry where was the first thread?

I am literally finding new definitions of "sanity" while dealing with you guys. Seriously, do some of you just get up and wear the "forum police" vest and feel like you want to do some public service? And you have to come to a thread and crash the person?

If you have nothing constructive to say for that particular thread don't say anything. How hard is it to just ignore my so stupid for you threads?

Its like if my car breaks down in the middle of nowhere and I come here for help, even for that thread you will find a way to harass me. Do you enjoy this?

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Just to be clear, its not 12 lbs, but 24 lbs right? 12 lbs per side?
I just ordered some and the FedEx package weight is 17lbs. So I'm assuming they weigh a total of 12lbs plus hardware.

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I just ordered some and the FedEx package weight is 17lbs. So I'm assuming they weigh a total of 12lbs plus hardware.
Oooo... thats different. Let me think about this.