Jack Stands & Pinch Welds

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I am also looking at prosumer level scissor lifts now. The thinking is, if I am paying $400-450 for ramp or $500 for a set of quality stands and a jack, maybe I can $500-600 more and see this as an investment and get a scissor lift and be done with it.

The problem is, mohawk is the only I can find which doesnt have a crossmember piece but it is very expensive. All other lifts in $1200 range have crossmember pieces which will somewhat block/make it difficult for exhaust/transmission work.
Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I am also looking at prosumer level scissor lifts now. The thinking is, if I am paying $400-450 for ramp or $500 for a set of quality stands and a jack, maybe I can $500-600 more and see this as an investment and get a scissor lift and be done with it.

The problem is, mohawk is the only I can find which doesnt have a crossmember piece but it is very expensive. All other lifts in $1200 range have crossmember pieces which will somewhat block/make it difficult for exhaust/transmission work.
There was a thread on this Quick Jack was one Ezcarlift was another

http://www.quickjack.com/why-quickjack/ezcarlift-vs-quickjack/

ezcar lift doesnt have the center section but seems expensive for what you get but it also goes higher

You could always get a roller and enter from the back or front.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Ugh. i fixed more 03-04 cobras irs while i was a master tech at ford because of posts like this. The cradle bolts were not designed to support damn near 3/4s the car weight. I repeat do not use the IRS. It is not okay. People that use IRS diffs as a jacking point are ignorant to the design of irs. Please dont do that to your gt350. You wont like how much it costs to fix. You also wont be able to claim a warranty either. Itll be obvious abuse.
I never jacked up the mustang from the rear diff but I take offense with the comment since damn near half the cars on the planet with IRS can be jacked up by the rear diff. I dislike misinformation every car is different

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
There was a thread on this Quick Jack was one Ezcarlift was another

http://www.quickjack.com/why-quickjack/ezcarlift-vs-quickjack/

ezcar lift doesnt have the center section but seems expensive for what you get.

You could always get a roller and enter from the back or front.
Thanks these actually look fairly interesting. I will take a look.

My biggest problem is the ceiling height. I have a 90" ceiling. I also cannot drill anything on my floor as I dont believe the 50 year old concrete will hold up well.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Thanks these actually look fairly interesting. I will take a look.

My biggest problem is the ceiling height. I have a 90" ceiling. I also cannot drill anything on my floor as I dont believe the 50 year old concrete will hold up well.
I dont trust my concrete. I would be nice to have the height to drop the engine out the bottom but hopefully those days are done for me.

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I never jacked up the mustang from the rear diff but I take offense with the comment since damn near half the cars on the planet with IRS can be jacked up by the rear diff. I dislike misinformation every car is different
Says the person not in the industry vs the master tech. :shrug:

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Toyotas,lexus,mitsibushis,nissans,mercedes, some bmws.
So let me get this right, you're telling me that every single irs car each of them make excluding the bmw can be jacked up by the irs?

In my opinion lots would be the vast majority of car manufacturers. However as i said lots is subjective.

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
So let me get this right, you're telling me that every single irs car each of them make excluding the bmw can be jacked up by the irs?

In my opinion lots would be the vast majority of car manufacturers. However as i said lots is subjective.
Im saying for you to say people jacking up by the IRS are ignorant is a stretch when the IRS is a perfect acceptable jack point on a lot of cars that have IRS.

The only reason I even looked is that the rear diff has been the jack point of every car ive owned before this one.

Now I always check before I do it but thats what the internet is for.

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I would never ever lift a car from its differential. I dont care what the manual says or what the manufacturer says. I have seen differentials being opened up or crankshafts being replaced first hand. Give or take a few differences, most sports cars will have similar setup. Differential is probably the weakest point in the entire driveterrain, it's way too fragile. It's just my personal opinion. Things that can go wrong and won't go wrong right away but will take time to show are:

- Shaft seals leaking
- Pinion Issues
- Clutch (differential) issues
- Crankshaft problems

And depending on the type of the car and suspension you can also have suspension/control arm problems.

It's just not worth it. Why do it? Just to save 5 minutes of your time so you dont have to jack 4 times and jack 2 times instead? Come on....

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I would never ever lift a car from its differential. I dont care what the manual says or what the manufacturer says. I have seen differentials being opened up or crankshafts being replaced first hand. Give or take a few differences, most sports cars will have similar setup. Differential is probably the weakest point in the entire driveterrain, it's way too fragile. It's just my personal opinion. Things that can go wrong and won't go wrong right away but will take time to show are:

- Shaft seals leaking
- Pinion Issues
- Clutch (differential) issues
- Crankshaft problems

And depending on the type of the car and suspension you can also have suspension/control arm problems.

It's just not worth it. Why do it? Just to save 5 minutes of your time so you dont have to jack 4 times and jack 2 times instead? Come on....
No just no.

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
No just no.
I have seen someone's rear differential literally get "gently" touched by a sidewalk while parking and that person required a new differential, all new shaft seals for both sides. It was around $10,000 of repair (for an M3). They are way too fragile.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I have seen someone's rear differential literally get "gently" touched by a sidewalk while parking and that person required a new differential, all new shaft seals for both sides. It was around $10,000 of repair (for an M3). They are way too fragile.
Ill bite.. how does one gently touch a differential on a car? its between the rear wheels and well under the car...

You realize the crank shaft is in no way connected to the differential right?
Sponsored