Is the 5.0 designed for boost?

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
did you read what i wrote? you are wrong and i've already explained why. there are many constraints and i think its pretty phenomenal the options available with a factory backed warranty.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6066-M8

have a dealer throw that on your car, there's exactly what you're asking for.

its already available, you just want it easier, well sorry jack that ain't in the cards.
I added my own supercharger, And not interested in a dealer built car. Assembly line built at Ford is what I'm talking about. Not an add on. I guess we'll know more of what is coming in a week.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
the thing is, tho, man the GT is very well balanced. just throwing a blower on it will upset that.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
the thing is, tho, man the GT is very well balanced. just throwing a blower on it will upset that.
Exactly. One big reason it needs to be a Ford built package.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Try to get Triangle Speed Shop gears. My tuner concurs with the assertion that Boundary gears are sub-par.

Sponsored

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I added my own supercharger, And not interested in a dealer built car. Assembly line built at Ford is what I'm talking about. Not an add on. I guess we'll know more of what is coming in a week.
The thing I think you may be missing is that its all about money.

The Roush supercharger option will absolutely have a higher failure rate than a stock 5.0 coyote. Warranty or not.

The thing is that the amount of people who will actually install that kit is tiny. Most GT owners leave the motor NA, most don't even do a flash tune. I'd bet that 9/10 GT's on the road are bone stock.

So Ford just eats the cost from the failures, they work with Roush to develop a setup that's safe enough to the point where the increased motor failures will not represent a significant cost to their warranty team. Note that the warranty with the Roush kit isn't the factory warranty either, its much more limited, about 2 years and 14k miles shorter. I've never read the fine print but I bet it covers less too.

This way ford is able to sell the Roush kit so that people like us have something to want, something to point to and go "wow this is a real sports car because they offer a SC kit with a warranty". That generates more sales. I can confidently say that the increased sales caused by offering the Roush SC kit alone likely outweigh the additional cost Ford has to pay to cover failures caused by the kit. If it didn't they wouldn't sell it.

So to your original point, the difference between the Roush kit and a factory option is that the factory option has to be built better than the Roush kit to maintain a competitive warranty and reliability. They simply cannot sell a factory 5.0 coyote with the Roush kit on it because they will lose money.

This is why the factory SC'd options are so expensive, this is why there isn't a SC option for a regular coyote form Ford directly.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
The thing I think you may be missing is that its all about money.

The Roush supercharger option will absolutely have a higher failure rate than a stock 5.0 coyote. Warranty or not.

The thing is that the amount of people who will actually install that kit is tiny. Most GT owners leave the motor NA, most don't even do a flash tune. I'd bet that 9/10 GT's on the road are bone stock.

So Ford just eats the cost from the failures, they work with Roush to develop a setup that's safe enough to the point where the increased motor failures will not represent a significant cost to their warranty team. Note that the warranty with the Roush kit isn't the factory warranty either, its much more limited, about 2 years and 14k miles shorter. I've never read the fine print but I bet it covers less too.

This way ford is able to sell the Roush kit so that people like us have something to want, something to point to and go "wow this is a real sports car because they offer a SC kit with a warranty". That generates more sales. I can confidently say that the increased sales caused by offering the Roush SC kit alone likely outweigh the additional cost Ford has to pay to cover failures caused by the kit. If it didn't they wouldn't sell it.

So to your original point, the difference between the Roush kit and a factory option is that the factory option has to be built better than the Roush kit to maintain a competitive warranty and reliability. They simply cannot sell a factory 5.0 coyote with the Roush kit on it because they will lose money.

This is why the factory SC'd options are so expensive, this is why there isn't a SC option for a regular coyote form Ford directly.
How would Ford lose money? They are not in business to lose money. Everything has a cost. Ford always charges more than an upscale package is truly worth, and people pay it.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
How would Ford lose money? They are not in business to lose money. Everything has a cost. Ford always charges more than an upscale package is truly worth, and people pay it.
You're right and that's why they wont do it.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
Yeah that’s the issue I think you’re looking at $20k for that
That is what I was thinking. Base model could come in right at $60K. Still save $15K over a GT500, plus the ridiculous ADM's. A lot of people would jump on that.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
How would Ford lose money? They are not in business to lose money.
They could certainly lose money on niche. low volume models. Now on the Mustang as a whole they sure as heck ain't losing money, but to be in the red for a few high end models is not unheard of if it means it brings presence and prestige to their model or overall brand.

Not saying they do even with the Roushcharger, but it doesn't automatically mean they don't.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I have my ideas that people who switch over to 5W-50 have a higher chance of OPG failure, during higher loads against gears in colder start up/climate. Could be just BS, but I believe there is merit in some cases. IMO, none of these Coyotes should use 5W-50 UNLESS they are Road racing for 10-15 minute sessions, and getting oil temps over 260° sustained. Supercharger or not.

I could be completely out of my mind, so flame away if you wish. :)
what happens is when over reving the coyote you suck the oil pan dry. if you check the clearance on the bearings the coyote normally should use a 40 weight so 0w40 or 5w40. there's always exceptions