Sponsored

Is the 5.0 designed for boost?

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
The predator was built for boost. The ecoboost was built for boost. Go and find all the differences between those motors and the coyote and there lies the answer. I have stock predator and gen3 5.0 short blocks in my shop now, side by side.

How do you figure the Ecoboost was built for boost? Well partially I suppose. But open deck block and boost pretty much never go well together.
Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I think there are a lot of questions and not a lot of *real* answers. Yes ecoboost is open deck block and cast pistons, but handles 20+ psi on pump gas just fine. OPG? I believe GT500 and 350 use powdered metal gears with rare issues, if any. 5W50? Maybe the increased damping helps OPG hold up better, or maybe the higher viscosity puts more stress on them. Tight ring gap? GT500 and all ecoboost motors use about .010 ring gap. FWIW the 3.8 buick turbos ran lots of boost on cast pistons.

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Alfa Romeo Quadraflio, 2018 TT GT Prem, 22 GT
My thoughts are it's blown out of proportion. I won't be doing OPG's to any future Coyote that's for sure.
I'd be more worried about the tight ring gaps vs hyper pistons with boost than I would OPG gears.
Well from my real world experience and loss of a entire motor and 15k replacing it with an actual built engine... OPGs are a must.

I knew the car was on borrowed time using the stock OPGs. I just did not care because I planned on the RPG short block anyways. With OPGs and GT500 intake etc.

If you are running a mild tune at 600 to 750 hp sure you will probably be fine for a long time. But just know that the OPGs are the weak point. Spend the money on them if you want to keep that engine or start saving for a built short block.

This was on a twin turbo setup pushing 1000+.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I think there are a lot of questions and not a lot of *real* answers. Yes ecoboost is open deck block and cast pistons, but handles 20+ psi on pump gas just fine. OPG? I believe GT500 and 350 use powdered metal gears with rare issues, if any. 5W50? Maybe the increased damping helps OPG hold up better, or maybe the higher viscosity puts more stress on them. Tight ring gap? GT500 and all ecoboost motors use about .010 ring gap. FWIW the 3.8 buick turbos ran lots of boost on cast pistons.
The gt500 Def has a forged steel crank sprocket.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
Same here man. I pushed a stock gen 3 to its limits for like a year. If I had replaced the oil pump gears I would probably still be on it.

But I was planning a engine swap anyways so went the cheap ass route and ran the stock motor until they gave out. It lasted wayyyy longer than I thought it would on 14.5 psi of boost. Hell a lot of it is still usable.

Got a RPG short block going in now though. Built for the power.
Hello, where would I get "Oil Pump Gears" for a GT 2021? My engine has a Roush phase 2 installed. Do you have a link I can lookup, please? Thank you!

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Alfa Romeo Quadraflio, 2018 TT GT Prem, 22 GT

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Yea

Just google Boundary Oil Pump Gears 2021 Mustang
Based on my personal experience with Boundary oil pump gears, I'd HIGHLY recommend not using those. Look like the Cobra Jet OPG I currently have are discontinued.... I'd recommend Accufab OPG. Long story short. I have pulled 3 sets out of my own engines that were FI making big power. CJ, Accufab and Boundary. CJ and Accufab looked perfect, Boundary was all chewed up.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Well from my real world experience and loss of a entire motor and 15k replacing it with an actual built engine... OPGs are a must.

I knew the car was on borrowed time using the stock OPGs. I just did not care because I planned on the RPG short block anyways. With OPGs and GT500 intake etc.

If you are running a mild tune at 600 to 750 hp sure you will probably be fine for a long time. But just know that the OPGs are the weak point. Spend the money on them if you want to keep that engine or start saving for a built short block.

This was on a twin turbo setup pushing 1000+.
And my experience was the opposite where the OPGs were the only thing that lived.

And Boundary gears are trash.

Stick to FRPP (cobra jet) or Accufab.

Sponsored

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
And my experience was the opposite where the OPGs were the only thing that lived.

And Boundary gears are trash.

Stick to FRPP (cobra jet) or Accufab.
Thank you, too. Just started watching a video on how to change those gears (just another brand) ..good grief! I will have Steeda do it. πŸ€ͺ

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Thank you, too. Just started watching a video on how to change those gears (just another brand) ..good grief! I will have Steeda do it. πŸ€ͺ
It's time consuming, but really not that bad.

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Get the Ford Motorsports heavy duty oil pump gears. I would not run anything else.

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
80FoxCoupe,

Awww, shucks.

Thanx, nonetheless.

Wonder if you can mill the GT500 gears to the same thickness as the GT?
Sponsored