Is the 5.0 designed for boost?

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Ford performance does offer a supercharger. They obviously feel the car can handle low boost ?
I strongly doubt Ford would want their name associated with a product that doesn’t have some reliability ?
Opinions ? Curious what u guys think.
100% true. They built it to handle boost. It was designed to handle Roush Superchargers. But generally probably not more than 8 psi. High boost is on you to determine.
Sponsored

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
If it’s any reference most cars are over designed to last .
All my turbo cars have been tuned etc and had the crap driven out of them for many miles and no breakdowns.
Maybe I have been lucky, or maybe I have stayed within the design strength ?
So Boosting a Stang to 7 or 8 psi is like flashing a turbo car by adding 7 or 8 psi. ?

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
All my turbo cars have been tuned etc and had the crap driven out of them for many miles and no breakdowns.
So Boosting a Stang to 7 or 8 psi is like flashing a turbo car by adding 7 or 8 psi. ?
no.

7 psi in a 5 liter is a lot more than 7 psi extra in a 2.3 liter. its less air. half the parts to fail, half the air moving through, etc. the engine is already setup to handle FI, you're just adding more.

throwing a blower on a NA engine is doing a conversion from NA to FI. if the motor was gonna last 175K you just decreased its life by some amount, how much is up in the air, but its significant.

turbo motors dont come with forged pistons just "to handle boost" pressures, they come that way to handle the uncertainty of the real world. bad gas, high temps, abuse, mistakes, etc.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
100% true. They built it to handle boost. It was designed to handle Roush Superchargers. But generally probably not more than 8 psi. High boost is on you to determine.
wrong. ford built the coyote the best they could with the tooling they had. a supercharger was not part of the plan. the compression ratio should tell you that. i'm not even sure ford offered a supercharger for the gen1. just because it can handle doesn't mean it was built for it

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Alfa Romeo Quadraflio, 2018 TT GT Prem, 22 GT
Same here man. I pushed a stock gen 3 to its limits for like a year. If I had replaced the oil pump gears I would probably still be on it.

But I was planning a engine swap anyways so went the cheap ass route and ran the stock motor until they gave out. It lasted wayyyy longer than I thought it would on 14.5 psi of boost. Hell a lot of it is still usable.

Got a RPG short block going in now though. Built for the power.

Sponsored

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
The 5.8 Shelby was a factory boosted motor. Once you started adding bigger blowers and tunes you found out the limitation of the blocks, pistons and rods (pistons were forged, rods were powder forged like the the 5.0). The Gen 3 5.0 has cast pistons and 11.0 compression but runs on 10lb boost with the Roush/Ford Performance set up. The 5.8 had 9.0 and ran 14lbs boost. The 9.0 aluminator would have been the better set up. They did what they did because of accountants. IF Roush/Ford is warrantying these things at 750hp, then most likely they can handle more than that. With a warranty they will stay on the conservative side.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
The 5.8 Shelby was a factory boosted motor. Once you started adding bigger blowers and tunes you found out the limitation of the blocks, pistons and rods (pistons were forged, rods were powder forged like the the 5.0). The Gen 3 5.0 has cast pistons and 11.0 compression but runs on 10lb boost with the Roush/Ford Performance set up. The 5.8 had 9.0 and ran 14lbs boost. The 9.0 aluminator would have been the better set up. They did what they did because of accountants. IF Roush/Ford is warrantying these things at 750hp, then most likely they can handle more than that. With a warranty they will stay on the conservative side.
From my understanding that 700HP+ figure is kind of a marketing scheme. People have reported after a few pulls the car starts will reduce power. But nonetheless your point is still valid.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
A Gen 3 is 12:1, not 11. Gen 2's are 11.

And the 5.8 trinity or 5.4 condor are both turds by comparison to any generation Coyote IMO.

EdwardS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edward
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I've had both a boosted Mustang and boosted Coyote F150. On my old Mustang I spent a lot of time doing the oil pump gears and crank sprocket. The F150 I decided to skip all that and sent it @ 15psi, E85. Never had a problem. I'd love to hear more data on the oil pump gear problem.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I'd love to hear more data on the oil pump gear problem
It's recommended, mainly by vendors who sell and profit from the parts, for peace of mind for anyone boosting their cars or running them hard. FWIW, it's not really a "problem" just a minor weak point that tends to rear its ugly head in engines that are abused and/or highly modified.

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I have my ideas that people who switch over to 5W-50 have a higher chance of OPG failure, during higher loads against gears in colder start up/climate. Could be just BS, but I believe there is merit in some cases. IMO, none of these Coyotes should use 5W-50 UNLESS they are Road racing for 10-15 minute sessions, and getting oil temps over 260° sustained. Supercharger or not.

I could be completely out of my mind, so flame away if you wish. :)

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If you bounce the rev limiter or use a 2 step I'd change gears. If not I would leave them alone.

Most of the bad or failed gears I see are from aftermarket gears. They appear to be soft which would make sense if using a 2 step. Also looks to me like the aftermarket gears are a wear item and should be replaced regularly.

YMMV

EdwardS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edward
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
My thoughts are it's blown out of proportion. I won't be doing OPG's to any future Coyote that's for sure.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
people who switch over to 5W-50 have a higher chance of OPG failure
That could very well be the case, but it's mostly due to the majority of people that switched over to 5w50 did so because they have other big modifications like some sort of boost or 8000+ rpm red line. So it may seem that the oil is the culprit, but it's really just tied with the modifications.
Sponsored