Is My Rear Bumper the Wrong One?

xl_cheese

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
There are a handful of rear bumpers made for these cars. I bought a used 2017 GT Premium a couple months ago. I think the rear bumper is not the original and the incorrect version for this car? Am I correct? Or did ford do different bumpers for different options? The car has all the premium stuff like leather, heated/cooled seats, accent lighting. Bumper is a 1pc design. My hunch is that this car is supposed to have the 2pc version.
IMG_3137.jpg
IMG_3138.jpg
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
IIRC, the center section of the rear valance under the 3rd brake light for 2015-2017 should be body color.

Has that area been painted or plasti-dipped?

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
IIRC, the center section of the rear valance under the 3rd brake light for 2015-2017 should be body color.

Has that area been painted or plasti-dipped?
It actually looks like hes MISSING the rear valance panel. There are no fins at all. It looks like there is a bottom panel though, so maybe an after market one?

Last edited:

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
That looks like a painted base model rear bumper.

The premium bumper has the rear valence stick out a little more from the sides of the bumper and is NOT part of the bumper, it's a separate piece. That bumper looks identical to mine but it's painted black at the bottom. If it's one piece, it's a base bumper.

Premium rear bumper: (Valence is a separate piece from the actual bumper cover)
1675795237001.png

base: (yours looks like a painted version of this) - All one piece.
1675795308012.png

sooo to answer your question, if the VIN on your car shows premium package, then I would say that bumper is not original.

Last edited:

reb0urne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium Dark Matter Gray
You also have the 2018+ Rear decklid. Maybe changed on purpose or accident and replaced parts with the wrong ones?

Sponsored

OP
OP
xl_cheese

xl_cheese

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
That looks like a painted base model rear bumper.

The premium bumper has the rear valence stick out a little more from the sides of the bumper and is NOT part of the bumper, it's a separate piece. That bumper looks identical to mine but it's painted black at the bottom. If it's one piece, it's a base bumper.

Premium rear bumper: (Valence is a separate piece from the actual bumper cover)
1675795237001.png

base: (yours looks like a painted version of this) - All one piece.
1675795308012.png

sooo to answer your question, if the VIN on your car shows premium package, then I would say that bumper is not original.
Thanks for the confirmation.

16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
VideoCapture_20220603-113832.jpg

Premium bumper also has rear sensors.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
VideoCapture_20220603-113832.jpg

Premium bumper also has rear sensors.
Not necessarily. Only if you have that optional package as well. It isn't part of the "premium". My 2017 didn't have the rear sensors because I didn't have the "safe and secure"package. There are lots of premium bumper covers without sensors, and if you try to buy a rear bumper one of the questions asked is if you have rear sensors.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Not necessarily. Only if you have that optional package as well. It isn't part of the "premium". My 2017 didn't have the rear sensors because I didn't have the "safe and secure"package. There are lots of premium bumper covers without sensors, and if you try to buy a rear bumper one of the questions asked is if you have rear sensors.
So did the sensors become standard in 18 ups? My base 19 has them and I just assumed they were standard for the whole s550 run.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
That looks like a non-premium (base) bumper that had the bottom piece painted.

Does the rest of the car have the premium bits (leather seats, 8" screen) etc.? Either you didn't really get a premium, or someone damaged and replaced that bumper with the cheapo one. Either way you have some investigating to do.

Sponsored

RacingRoger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKZ, F-150 Lariat. Future: G6 Mustang GT
Is the premium package indicated within the 17 digit VIN?

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
Is the premium package indicated within the 17 digit VIN?
Well, I was going to say yes, though a ford VIN lookup...I thought this info used to be available through Ford ETIS...but...It looks like they've disabled most functionality. You could always purchase a build sheet/window sticker using the VIN and that would show everything the car came with if you really wanted to know. Maybe there's some other system out there that can, besides Fords own private systems, but I doubt it.

RacingRoger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, Howitzer! I thought I'd missed something in the VIN breakdown, but I appreciate the clarification. This thread intrigued me because about the only way I could tell a Premium car at a glance was the leather seats. Never realized the rear valance was different, too....
I haven't gotten my Mustang yet, so I'm spending my time on here studying, and this gives me one more thing to look at to see if the car is "right". And I'm sorry the OP figured this out after he bought his car...

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, Howitzer! I thought I'd missed something in the VIN breakdown, but I appreciate the clarification. This thread intrigued me because about the only way I could tell a Premium car at a glance was the leather seats. Never realized the rear valance was different, too....
I haven't gotten my Mustang yet, so I'm spending my time on here studying, and this gives me one more thing to look at to see if the car is "right". And I'm sorry the OP figured this out after he bought his car...
Not sure which models you're looking at, but only the 15-17 cars have different bumpers between base-premium. 18+ cars all have the same bumpers, with the exception of parking sensors for those that have that package(I don't remember if that's just included in the premium package or not). Performance Pack cars will have different belly pans and splitters across all years and specific wheels (as far as visual differences).

I'm sure there's some resource around here that outlines all the differences at least for what packages get what, but feel free to ask anything ya need.

RacingRoger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
Not sure which models you're looking at, but only the 15-17 cars have different bumpers between base-premium. 18+ cars all have the same bumpers, with the exception of parking sensors for those that have that package(I don't remember if that's just included in the premium package or not). Performance Pack cars will have different belly pans and splitters across all years and specific wheels (as far as visual differences).

I'm sure there's some resource around here that outlines all the differences at least for what packages get what, but feel free to ask anything ya need.
Actually, 15'-17' (I say Gen 6.0) is what I'm after. I don't want to hijack this thread so I won't go into detail other than I'll have to wait 6 months before I can start looking in earnest. I'll look for the resources on that package outline, and thanks for the input!!!!
Sponsored