Sponsored

There goes my bumper

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey OP, a few things. First, CarFax gets its hits from police reports (not insurance companies), so even if you don't file a claim, it'll be on CarFax now, unfortunately. Second, you don't have to file a claim with your insurance if you don't want to (and having to pay the deductible), but I'd ABSOLUTELY make the insurance of that ahole pay for your damage, even if it's just out of principle (for being an ahole. Ha ha). Good luck, brother.
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ā“‡ā’¾ā’øā“€ā“Ž ā“ˆā“…ā’¶ā“ƒā’¾ā“ˆā’½
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I agree. Make the prick pay for it.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
just some info on car fax.... My local oil change place reports to car fax. Yes oil change. I was told its on its way to being a national report. also anything you get done at any shop is also now reported to carfax. My buddy had a muffler replaced and..... it was reported to car fax. NO accident nothing wrong he just put an aftermarket on. Its a war. The insurance companies want us to keep paying for nothing. And we do it. We just pay our premiums and instead of using insurance we pay more out of pocket. Its just free money for the insurance companies. If I pay them then they are gonna fix it. IM not gonna pay them and then also pay for damages myself. Then whats the point of insurance?

But back to OP. man that sucks. and yes usually when they are wrong or trying to get out of something they think getting loud is gonna make you just go ok never mind...,

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
just some info on car fax.... My local oil change place reports to car fax. Yes oil change. I was told its on its way to being a national report. also anything you get done at any shop is also now reported to carfax. My buddy had a muffler replaced and..... it was reported to car fax. NO accident nothing wrong he just put an aftermarket on. Its a war. The insurance companies want us to keep paying for nothing. And we do it. We just pay our premiums and instead of using insurance we pay more out of pocket. Its just free money for the insurance companies. If I pay them then they are gonna fix it. IM not gonna pay them and then also pay for damages myself. Then whats the point of insurance?

But back to OP. man that sucks. and yes usually when they are wrong or trying to get out of something they think getting loud is gonna make you just go ok never mind...,

I agree. My car got stolen and they make you wait I think 30 days to see if you get it back and I did. The insurance is set up to win and give you a little of nothing. Also when you use insurance the fee you pay goes up as a form of punishment. I only pay insurance because I legally have too...

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.

Sponsored

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Itā€™s a claim you make to the insurance company. In this case to the persons insurance that hit you. And you get money up front. For the devaluation your car will get at trade in due to the car fax hit.

https://www.thesimpledollar.com/insurance/auto/how-to-file-a-diminished-value-claim/
Never even knew that was an option. I do know once a car is stolen and itā€™s on a car fax it takes a major hit... well not everywhere. One dealer offered me like 28k and another offered me 37, 9 grand difference lol.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Never even knew that was an option. I do know once a car is stolen and itā€™s on a car fax it takes a major hit... well not everywhere. One dealer offered me like 28k and another offered me 37, 9 grand difference lol.
It sucks but it seams like car fax is a tool just as much for the dealer to beat you on your trade in. As it is a tool for warning customers of cars with major repairs. I traded a Jeep recently that was involved in one minor accident in the lifetime of ownership. And had a dealer try to rape me on trade. Saying that the car returned a bad car fax.

rocky5517

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sam
Vehicle(s)
ford explorer 67 riviera
From what I've read on these forums, if you have the bumper removed and have access to underneath, maybe consider swithcing the single horn note for a dual note horn while you're at it.. Some guys on this forum say it's easier. Maybe consider a front license plate fold-up braclet while you'r at it too.

CrimsonRocket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Vehicle(s)
2014 Magnetic Mustang V6, 2019 Race Red GT convertible
If its the other guys fault you shouldn't have to pay. Your insurance will cover the repair and go after the other guys insurance.

Looks like about $1000 repair.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
My thoughts: (seconding some comments above)

- dash cam is cheap insurance (my latest one was $40).
- file a claim
- thoroughly document (pictures, work orders, etc.) the damage and repairs so that when questions arise when you go to sell the car, you can show that it was minor, no airbags, frame damage, etc. even if you don't file a claim
- diminished value is a claim type wherein you say "my car is worth less now because it's been wrecked and repaired, and everyone will know this because of the carfax". It is difficult to prove, to value, and to get paid for. But it's a real thing, and it's certainly worth trying.

I'm reminded of an accident in which a guy turned left on red in front of me (I had green) and the cop said that it would be he said/he said unless I had a witness. Fortunately, I did. Now I have dash cameras in my cars. It's not good enough to capture license plates (unless I'm really close) but it gives me a little bit of security. I told my wife that if I'm ever in an accident and she has the chance, she is to grab the camera/memory card ASAP just in case I was the one at fault...:frown:

Sponsored
OP
OP
njudd921

njudd921

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 FORD MUSTANG GT PP
Itā€™s a claim you make to the insurance company. In this case to the persons insurance that hit you. And you get money up front. For the devaluation your car will get at trade in due to the car fax hit.

https://www.thesimpledollar.com/insurance/auto/how-to-file-a-diminished-value-claim/
I didnā€™t know about this either, or really think about it til this happened. Why should the person not at fault take the hit for loss of value? Yet another insurance scam that should be given as part of the original claim.

Honestly though I dont plan on selling the car for a long time. nor would I trade it in to a dealership and get screwed over
My thoughts: (seconding some comments above)

- dash cam is cheap insurance (my latest one was $40).
- file a claim
- thoroughly document (pictures, work orders, etc.) the damage and repairs so that when questions arise when you go to sell the car, you can show that it was minor, no airbags, frame damage, etc. even if you don't file a claim
- diminished value is a claim type wherein you say "my car is worth less now because it's been wrecked and repaired, and everyone will know this because of the carfax". It is difficult to prove, to value, and to get paid for. But it's a real thing, and it's certainly worth trying.

I'm reminded of an accident in which a guy turned left on red in front of me (I had green) and the cop said that it would be he said/he said unless I had a witness. Fortunately, I did. Now I have dash cameras in my cars. It's not good enough to capture license plates (unless I'm really close) but it gives me a little bit of security. I told my wife that if I'm ever in an accident and she has the chance, she is to grab the camera/memory card ASAP just in case I was the one at fault...:frown:

Luckily my wife was in the car and decided to start recording because it was getting a little heated and he is on camera saying "I was backing up to park". So Im not so much worried about the fault issue.

However all of your points are valid, and I decided to take everybodys advice and just filed the claim on his insurance. So thank you all for the help. I will try the diminished value claim as well just for the hell of it.

Now onto the really sad part. I had 2 shops and oempaintedparts.com tell me that Ruby Red is a tricolor paint and is very difficult to match. Let's hope whoever I take it to knows what they are doing! Now we wait for the claim to process... while its 80 degrees and sunny.... Maybe I will just put a couple bandaids on it and print a vinyl decal that says crowd hunter in the mean time.

OP
OP
njudd921

njudd921

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 FORD MUSTANG GT PP
Update! I went through the morons insurance, and to sum it up....

Insurance: ā€œwe reached out to our insured and will not be paying for the damage due to conflicting statementsā€

me: ā€œbut you have the police report stating he failed to see my vehicle and the accident was due to improper backingā€

insurance: ā€œ yes but since no ticket was issued we have to go by what our insured saidā€

me: ā€œThat is insane, let me speak to your supervisor pleaseā€

insurance: ā€œthat wonā€™t be happeningā€

me: ā€œok Iā€™ll get his info myself, have a great dayā€

next step, go over the adjusters head to get supervisors information. Find out that moron told insurance I rear ended him. Send supervisor police report and video of moron stating he was backing up to park. ā€œWe will be sending you a checkā€

So the car is home, paint match is excellent, OEM parts installed. Diminished value claim sent to insurance. Didnā€™t even need to put a claim on my insurance!

Now the question, should I wait to drill the 2 small 3/16ā€ holes for the splitter rods into the bumper, or should I be ok since itā€™s just plastic?

Again, thank you all for the helpful info. I had no idea a diminished value claim existed, and assumed it had to go through my own insurance.
C0D72B07-B056-4667-8ACE-A8A0A1F91C6B.jpeg

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Update! I went through the morons insurance, and to sum it up....

Insurance: ā€œwe reached out to our insured and will not be paying for the damage due to conflicting statementsā€

me: ā€œbut you have the police report stating he failed to see my vehicle and the accident was due to improper backingā€

insurance: ā€œ yes but since no ticket was issued we have to go by what our insured saidā€

me: ā€œThat is insane, let me speak to your supervisor pleaseā€

insurance: ā€œthat wonā€™t be happeningā€

me: ā€œok Iā€™ll get his info myself, have a great dayā€

next step, go over the adjusters head to get supervisors information. Find out that moron told insurance I rear ended him. Send supervisor police report and video of moron stating he was backing up to park. ā€œWe will be sending you a checkā€

So the car is home, paint match is excellent, OEM parts installed. Diminished value claim sent to insurance. Didnā€™t even need to put a claim on my insurance!

Now the question, should I wait to drill the 2 small 3/16ā€ holes for the splitter rods into the bumper, or should I be ok since itā€™s just plastic?

Again, thank you all for the helpful info. I had no idea a diminished value claim existed, and assumed it had to go through my own insurance.
C0D72B07-B056-4667-8ACE-A8A0A1F91C6B.jpeg

Wow amazing! Glad it turned out alright for you. 2 questions who did the bumper paint for you?
How exactly does the diminished value claim work?

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Dash cameras are well worth the cost for this very reason.

OP
OP
njudd921

njudd921

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 FORD MUSTANG GT PP
Wow amazing! Glad it turned out alright for you. 2 questions who did the bumper paint for you?
How exactly does the diminished value claim work?
Gerber collision, they are nationwide, worked quickly and cool guys.

So the diminished value claim is still in the works. I contacted a company online called Auto Loss. They charge 275$ to prepare a 15 page report describing who they are (insurance adjusters basically), and compare the pre collision value to the after accident value. They list comps in the report for reference and have a calculation they use which gave me a claim value of $3166. That was sent into the guys insurance company yesterday. They advice giving them 2-3 days before contacting them to follow up, and give you the ins and out as to what they expect them to say and how to respond in case they try to fight it.

At the end, if the insurance company refuses to pay, they refund the 275$.

I will reach out to the Friday if they donā€™t call me, and judging by how the accident claim went, I expect them to try to deny it.
Sponsored