Sponsored

Is it normal for these engines to be hot as hell?

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I finally picked up my GT350 today, and drove it back to my place. No issues. I have been varying the rpms and speed while shifting at 4k. Had alot of people look at me like an idiot on the highway lol.

When I came back though I popped the hood to finally get a look, but when I put my hands to lift it I could already feel the heat. Like it was hot as hell. I could have burned myself If I wasn't careful. When I was driving my Engine Temperature gauge was in the middle towards the C side so it seemed normal. It was only 80 degrees today and I didn't drive it like a madman so I don't know why it was so hot. I can only imagine how hot it on a track day.

Never had a cars engine get so hot like that and emit so much heat. Im not used to driving sports cars like this so I don't know. I like how can feel the engine shaking the shifter lol, never had that feeling before.

Also random question, why do people complain about the clutch pedal? It seems fine to me and this is coming from someone who has a Scion tC and never driven a sports car.
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
welcome to the wonderful world of aluminum body panels.
Random answer to your random question. You'll find out when you have to finesse the clutch.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Yes, the engine bay gets very warm in there. Tough to check oil sometimes until it cools a bit. On track days I pop the hood after every session. Water temp gauge is always middle to left ( cool )
I have never had an issue with the unique clutch operation and my original spring is still in there.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I second key01 - It gets hot under there, especially after a driving on a hot summer day.
I don't have a GT350 but with the coyote 5.0, same principle. I was also initially slightly taken aback at how hot it gets, even if you're not pushing the car hard. But it's completely normal.
I came from 4 cyl Hondas/Nissan, then a V6 Nissan. Noticed the V6 was always just slightly hotter under the hood, but nothing to write home about.
But as soon as I got into the V8, it was like opening an oven having the hot air escape into your face. Metal around the engine is hot. Searing, actually. Yes, the prop rod gets real, real hot.
It's completely normal, because we've got essentially two 4 cylinder engines worth of heat under there.

(it's funny because my parents have a 2019 Accord Sport 1.5L turbo. I checked the oil for them one day, and it was the same sort of hot summer day - 85+ degrees. Was almost surprised at how "cool" it felt when I opened the good. It's a small 1.5L)

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
Voodoo be workin' it's magic. It get HOT in dere.

Sponsored

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
If you have a 2019 or newer, the clutch springs are different and do not have the odd feel of earlier GT350's. Yes they get hot, I have a Shadow Black 2019, on a 90+ day heat waves roll off the hood when you are parked and it is pretty toasty, engine oil temps are in the 220 degree range. On my drive home, I drive the last mile or two at 30 thru the neighborhood and everything cools down a good 20 degrees by time I am pulling into the garage.

They are looking at you because they wish they had a GT350. Break in your car gently and get about a thousand miles and an oil change you start using 8250 rpm on a regular basis. I gave my dealer a gallon Ziplock bag and asked for my old filter and O-rings. I took the time to examine my oil filter for the usual break-in stuff, very tiny bits of metal from parts wearing in and tiny bits if gasket.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
Older clutch spring setup was truly odd. Sounds like newer system fixed it.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I finally picked up my GT350 today, and drove it back to my place. No issues. I have been varying the rpms and speed while shifting at 4k. Had alot of people look at me like an idiot on the highway lol.

When I came back though I popped the hood to finally get a look, but when I put my hands to lift it I could already feel the heat. Like it was hot as hell. I could have burned myself If I wasn't careful. When I was driving my Engine Temperature gauge was in the middle towards the C side so it seemed normal. It was only 80 degrees today and I didn't drive it like a madman so I don't know why it was so hot. I can only imagine how hot it on a track day.

Never had a cars engine get so hot like that and emit so much heat. Im not used to driving sports cars like this so I don't know. I like how can feel the engine shaking the shifter lol, never had that feeling before.

Also random question, why do people complain about the clutch pedal? It seems fine to me and this is coming from someone who has a Scion tC and never driven a sports car.
Totally normal. Takes a while to get the engine heated up in cooler weather, and it takes forever for the heat to dissipate after a drive. After every drive that ends in my garage, I immediately pop the hood and plug in the battery tender. Long term heat exposure is the enemy of batteries, plastic, wires, and rubber components. I figure the less heat I trap under the hood the better. Does it make a difference.... who the hell knows. Does it make me feel better... you bet!!

Enjoy the car!

fpGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Dodge Viper RT10, 09 Mercedes AMG C63, 18 Shelby GT350
I too was amazed how hot the engine hood felt. I don't think its the engine operating temperature as much as the material that the hood is made out of. It's 100+ degrees here in Tucson nearly every day in the summer. Coolant temp seldom more than 220 degrees.

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
Hot? Yes damn hot. Second the idea of opening the hood after driving. Having owned a '17 and a '19 I can say that the new clutch mechanism from '19 on feels much better.

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Congratulations!!! Pictures please.
The heat is real for sure. Like the gentleman from Tucson, I live in a desert climate as well.
When I took the car to a friend to adjust the hood/fender gap, I could hardly hold the hood to prop up the hood rod.
Never thought about the aluminum hood as a reason for the felt heat.
Where are you guys seeing the coolant temp? ;-)

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Same here. Nothing wrong with this clutch. I got sucked into all the hype as well and bought a Steeda clutch spring...hands down (even though it was only $20) the biggest waste of money I've spent on the car.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Same here. Nothing wrong with this clutch. I got sucked into all the hype as well and bought a Steeda clutch spring...hands down (even though it was only $20) the biggest waste of money I've spent on the car.
Same here I had a new 16 and then a 17 and the clutch on both was not at all difficult being to stiff or firm. Only thing had to get used to was when letting it out it wanted to be released without doing it gradually. No problem with that either, keeps you from burning the clutch riding it.

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
If you have a 2019 or newer, the clutch springs are different and do not have the odd feel of earlier GT350's.
I didn’t know that the clutch spring was changed in 2019, I wondered why there were complaints as it felt fine to me....