Sponsored

Is it normal for these engines to be hot as hell?

UXXR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I finally picked up my GT350 today, and drove it back to my place. No issues. I have been varying the rpms and speed while shifting at 4k. Had alot of people look at me like an idiot on the highway lol.

When I came back though I popped the hood to finally get a look, but when I put my hands to lift it I could already feel the heat. Like it was hot as hell. I could have burned myself If I wasn't careful. When I was driving my Engine Temperature gauge was in the middle towards the C side so it seemed normal. It was only 80 degrees today and I didn't drive it like a madman so I don't know why it was so hot. I can only imagine how hot it on a track day.

Never had a cars engine get so hot like that and emit so much heat. Im not used to driving sports cars like this so I don't know. I like how can feel the engine shaking the shifter lol, never had that feeling before.

Also random question, why do people complain about the clutch pedal? It seems fine to me and this is coming from someone who has a Scion tC and never driven a sports car.
I believe people (including me) change the clutch spring, because it's a 2 step spring system. From my experience on manuals, I prefer a linear pressure on clutch pedal, and that's why I have the Steeda clutch spring and like it more than OEM.
But I acknowledge that OEM might be to other people's taste as well, just not mine and several people.
Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
But I acknowledge that OEM might be to other people's taste as well, just not mine and several people.
Props to you for that statement. I don't think the guy's around anymore because I think he literally pissed off every member here...but I've literally been told if you like the stock clutch/spring, you're a f***ing idiot that doesn't know how to drive! LOL!

UXXR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Props to you for that statement. I don't think the guy's around anymore because I think he literally pissed off every member here...but I've literally been told if you like the stock clutch/spring, you're a f***ing idiot that doesn't know how to drive! LOL!
haha wow.. aren't some people opinionated.

OP
OP
RPDBlueMoon

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Congratulations!!! Pictures please.
The heat is real for sure. Like the gentleman from Tucson, I live in a desert climate as well.
When I took the car to a friend to adjust the hood/fender gap, I could hardly hold the hood to prop up the hood rod.
Never thought about the aluminum hood as a reason for the felt heat.
Where are you guys seeing the coolant temp? ;-)
Yeah I used to live in Fresno so I can only imagine how bad it must be since its only 75 here and its the engine was still hot as hell. Right now I bet its like 100 degrees over there. I do not miss the Central Valley death heat at all, it reminds me of being in Afghanistan. Thats funny I burned myself a little touching that black beam underneath the pop rod. Like an idiot I just grabbed it. It was unexpecting because I don't think that there are any warning signs in the hood

Here are the pictures!

thumbnail_20200806_192130.jpg
thumbnail_20200806_192231.jpg
thumbnail_20200806_194405.jpg
thumbnail_20200806_192222.jpg
thumbnail_20200806_175841.jpg
thumbnail_20200806_175848.jpg
thumbnail_20200806_192202.jpg

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm amazed that there's a thread on this. You've got a 500 pound chunk of metal under the hood that's just a hair below the boiling point of water. That it's hot when you open the hood shouldn't come as a surprise. As for the clutch spring (how did that get into this thread?) the stock clutch is fine.

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I believe people (including me) change the clutch spring, because it's a 2 step spring system. From my experience on manuals, I prefer a linear pressure on clutch pedal, and that's why I have the Steeda clutch spring and like it more than OEM.
..When I came back though I popped the hood to finally get a look, but when I put my hands to lift it I could already feel the heat. Like it was hot as hell. I could have burned myself If I wasn't careful. When I was driving my Engine Temperature gauge was in the middle towards the C side so it seemed normal...

Also random question, why do people complain about the clutch pedal? It seems fine to me and this is coming from someone who has a Scion tC and never driven a sports car.
Key, like you noted, is the gauges. Oil being hot enough before putting your foot into it is usually more of an issue than it getting too hot. Transmission and diff if you're driving hard or tracking, though with a 2017+ there shouldn't be an issue there either. Won't pick the 2015-2016 scab, doesn't apply in this case anyway.

Complaints came from MY2015-2018. MY2019+ do not have the spring that the 15-18s had. Different set up & more linear feel.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Congratulations!!! Pictures please.
The heat is real for sure. Like the gentleman from Tucson, I live in a desert climate as well.
When I took the car to a friend to adjust the hood/fender gap, I could hardly hold the hood to prop up the hood rod.
Never thought about the aluminum hood as a reason for the felt heat.
Where are you guys seeing the coolant temp? ;-)
I presently reside between Phoenix and Tucson and will be moving my two cars to the Coachella Valley real soon therefore will not get any heat relief in the summer but will be outstanding during the rest of the year.:clap:

I'm am a little surprised that some of you would question the high level of heat on a high strung, high revving, and 12.0 to 1 compression exotic engine especially when driving one of these bad boys during the summer months as that is just part of what we should always expect.

With respect to a different clutch spring feel there is no question that my 2018 R clutch spring feel is much different than my 2020 R but see absolutely no reason to change either of these clutch springs as they both feel great to me and only different.

Of course when it comes to the difference in feel with respect to the chassis/suspension and steering I find a noticeable improvement on my 2020 R compared to my 2018 R and cudo's to all of the engineers at Ford for these improvements along with the tramlining being pretty much eliminated.

Outstanding job Ford Motor Company for the final year of production for these outstanding 2020 GT350 and R's!!!

:clap::clap:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
v8 big engine, big engine get hot. Is ok. Lol. I mean in reality power output and efficiency has more to do with it, but I don't think I've seen a v8 yet that doesn't radiate like a mofo. Especially aluminum engines.

Sponsored

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
One thing no one has suggested about the excessive heat you are experiencing is the fact that you have a new engine that is breaking itself in and responding to the additional friction of all those close tolerance, new metal parts. Once your engine has a thousand mile or so on the clock it will generate less heat as the internal parts are smoothing out and creating less friction/heat.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
One thing no one has suggested about the excessive heat you are experiencing is the fact that you have a new engine that is breaking itself in and responding to the additional friction of all those close tolerance, new metal parts. Once your engine has a thousand mile or so on the clock it will generate less heat as the internal parts are smoothing out and creating less friction/heat.

I presently reside between Phoenix and Tucson and will be moving my two cars to the Coachella Valley real soon therefore will not get any heat relief in the summer but will be outstanding during the rest of the year.:clap:

I'm am a little surprised that some of you would question the high level of heat on a high strung, high revving, and 12.0 to 1 compression exotic engine especially when driving one of these bad boys during the summer months as that is just part of what we should always expect.

With respect to a different clutch spring feel there is no question that my 2018 R clutch spring feel is much different than my 2020 R but see absolutely no reason to change either of these clutch springs as they both feel great to me and only different.

Of course when it comes to the difference in feel with respect to the chassis/suspension and steering I find a noticeable improvement on my 2020 R compared to my 2018 R and cudo's to all of the engineers at Ford for these improvements along with the tramlining being pretty much eliminated.

Outstanding job Ford Motor Company for the final year of production for these outstanding 2020 GT350 and R's!!!

:clap::clap:
Maybe weā€™re just stating the obvious about the heat.
Reminds me of the conversations on motorcycle forms pertaining to high horsepower 1000CC+ motors putting out a ton of heat....Very noticeable about 95F we said. My thighs are roasting in stop and go traffic we said. I felt like I was going to spontaneously combust we said. Of course those that live in climates that never see 90+ just canā€™t understand the problem, they said.
High HP, high compression combustion engines putting out heat? Hudda thunk it?
This is why I donā€™t ride much past 11am in the summer months.

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
Embrace the heat.

e50dc10dab53a128f4b0b0a7140a0c71.jpg

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Yes, as some have stated, it's a large thermal mass compared to a small 4 cyl engine and there's most surface area to radiate heat. Additionally, the car is producing more power which creates more heat (maybe more of an issue under more deliberate throttle use).

So it will not only be hotter when you turn the car off, it will also stay hotter under the engine bay for a longer period due to more thermal mass compared to a physically smaller engine. I often open the hood and put a large industrial fan on it when it is warm/hot out, to get the heat out of the engine bay and thus the garage more quickly. I typically do this when I know I'll be working in the garage later, or working out in the garage the next morning.

Here's the fan I use: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-Pro-20-in-3-Speed-Outdoor-Air-Mover-Fan/1000377607

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't feel any different than any other car when it's 100 degrees out. As long as your gauges show it's OK, it's OK.
Sponsored