Sponsored

dealer says engine hot message is due to transmission being hot

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Well I knew for many months that when I went to the track with my technology package car I would probably get the transmission hot and the car would limit power or RPM to protect the transmission. I had a nice cool day with a start in the 50s and a high of 80 degrees, but the car hit limp mode during all of my track sessions despite the relatively cool temperatures. I did enjoy the car anyway.

However, I wasn't expecting to get a message saying that my engine was hot and power was limited due to that. Now the dealer tells me there's no problem codes related to the engine. They say the error message stating my engine got hot must have actually been from the transmission being hot.

I'm pretty upset about it and trying to cool off. This can't be right, can it?
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Either transmission or engine oil got very hot.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
What did your oil temp gauge read?

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
i can confirm when i hit limp, the message was for the engine.
and the engine temp is no where near the danger zone, only 220-230F.

btw i waited a full 3 hours before changing my tranny oil, the tranny case is still kinda hot. honestly to this day i couldn't believe Ford didn't at least include the cooler as an option, like what you do expect, only 2.4qt and 8300rpm rev plus a high NVH motor, you know the thing is gonna overheat just a matter of time.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
At the time the engine oil temperature gage reading was somewhere midway between 200 and 250. I looked and didn't find a coolant temperature reading. Cylinder head temp was somewhere on the order of 212 or 214 max. None of the gage readings seemed excessive.

Sponsored

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
here is my personal experience, listen up guys. When I went to Track Attack I took few notes on their track pack cars' temp readings at the end of the day:

Track pack
Engine oil temp: 212F
Trans oil temp: 101F

My tech pack
Engine oil temp 185F
No trans oil temp showing

so thats why its important to have track pack equipment on the track, and as for the error, I think ford knows about it but the car is meant to go into recovery mode to cool down the parts

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
here is my personal experience, listen up guys. When I went to Track Attack I took few notes on their track pack cars' temp readings at the end of the day:

Track pack

My tech pack
Engine oil temp 185F

so thats why its important to have track pack equipment on the track, and as for the error, I think ford knows about it but the car is meant to go into recovery mode to cool down the parts
I find it hard to believe the transmission temperature was about 100 degrees while doing heavy track duty. My transmission easily hits 180 just driving down the highway with normal driving at 70 MPH. Are you sure that wasn't 101 C ??

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone

Track pack

My tech pack
Engine oil temp 185F

How hot was the ambient temp? I just got back from my Track Attack and it was about 85F outside. Engine Oil Temps went all the way to 270F at the hottest. Dropped down to about 230 after my cooldown lap. Trans Oil was about 130-150F I don't remember exactly. But it definitely wasn't as low as yours. My temps get to that range putt putting around town in 80F weather.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
How hot was the ambient temp? I just got back from my Track Attack and it was about 85F outside. Engine Oil Temps went all the way to 270F at the hottest. Dropped down to about 230 after my cooldown lap. Trans Oil was about 130-150F I don't remember exactly. But it definitely wasn't as low as yours. My temps get to that range putt putting around town in 80F weather.
+1. Exactly.

geb78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
I've seen my trans temp in my R hit 183 driving on the street. I should've paid more attention when I was on the track...next time.

Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Trans temp on the track doing fast laps in my Track pack car have gone up to 210. Oil temps up to 268. Hot & humid FL 90+ weather. Not worried as the coolers do a great job...

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
Well I knew for many months that when I went to the track with my technology package car I would probably get the transmission hot and the car would limit power or RPM to protect the transmission. I had a nice cool day with a start in the 50s and a high of 80 degrees, but the car hit limp mode during all of my track sessions despite the relatively cool temperatures. I did enjoy the car anyway.

However, I wasn't expecting to get a message saying that my engine was hot and power was limited due to that. Now the dealer tells me there's no problem codes related to the engine. They say the error message stating my engine got hot must have actually been from the transmission being hot.

Fellas -

I've been working through this with Ford and what they are telling you is 100% correct. The error pops up, car goes into 'protection mode' and that is the end of that until it cools down.

*source* Me - now a veteran of overheating GT350s.

VNMOUS1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.vmpprformance.com
First Name
bj
Vehicle(s)
2007 GT500, 2017 EcoBoost Mustang, 2017 Focus RS

R's don't do this. Non-R's do.

We have seen the same problem here at Sebring with out non-R

bj

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
R's don't do this. Non-R's do.

We have seen the same problem here at Sebring with out non-R

bj
The R cooling system is exactly the same as the track pack. What is it you are trying to say about non-R cars?

VNMOUS1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.vmpprformance.com
First Name
bj
Vehicle(s)
2007 GT500, 2017 EcoBoost Mustang, 2017 Focus RS
The R cooling system is exactly the same as the track pack. What is it you are trying to say about non-R cars?
It's in the calibration on non-R cars. Don't know for sure if it's the same way on a non-R/Track Pack equipped car. Have seen it on a few non-R/non-TP cars.

bj
Sponsored