Sponsored

It is better to be in Normal or Sport mode for the suspension, in cold weather? (or does it even matter?)

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I have seen and heard from people that the Cup 2 tires don't get a lot of grip in the cold, and was wondering whether driving in normal or sport mode would help increase grip with it being cold outside
Sponsored

OP
OP
RPDBlueMoon

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
What temps you talking? Anything under 40 you need to swap the cups for something else.
Im talking like 40-50, and Im just talking about just going for a normal drive, driving the car like a normal car lol, not doing anything crazy like highway pulls or pushing to redline.

Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 (SOLD) 11 5.0 TRACK 17 Explorer 16 Fusion
Vehicle Showcase
Im talking like 40-50, and Im just talking about just going for a normal drive, driving the car like a normal car lol, not doing anything crazy like highway pulls or pushing to redline.
The cups can crack in cold weather. I would recommend moving to a super sport or maybe the supercar goodyears.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I have seen and heard from people that the Cup 2 tires don't get a lot of grip in the cold, and was wondering whether driving in normal or sport mode would help increase grip with it being cold outside
The softer the suspension, the more mechanical grip you'll have. That said, using a soft setting to improve summer tire grip in winter is like putting lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig. As @Vettel-ish said, the best answer is to go with tires that are made for the cold.

Sponsored

ShatterPoints

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The softer the suspension, the more mechanical grip you'll have. That said, using a soft setting to improve summer tire grip in winter is like putting lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig. As @Vettel-ish said, the best answer is to go with tires that are made for the cold.
This- Although the softer damping is for the fact that we have little to no aero. You want more mechanical grip AND you can allow the chassis to move around a bit more (since you are not controlling pitch for aero balance). I wouldn't exactly say its lipstick on a pig, just one way to setup the car given the grip limitations.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
The car has a weather setting for a reason. It puts the dampers in a softer setting than the standard "Normal" suspension options and softens the throttle input at initial tip-in to reduce potential for wheelspin.

Honestly I don't even drive the car in Sport mode anymore. Not a fan of the artificial throttle input and much prefer Normal with the sport shock settings and exhaust open or Track with the Normal steering setting for more aggressive driving as they both share a linear throttle map.

Byronj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2013 Boss 302
HAHA, get winter tires and use the driver modes. Im sure your car has an owners manual with the recommendations in it. I know mine came with one
Sponsored