How does your GT run on regular gas?

Joedag1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have been running my 2019 GT on Shell Nitro 93 since I got it. I’m asking people who use regular gas how your car runs on it. With the price of gas l’m thinking of switching. Gas prices are getting out of hand.
Sponsored

BlueJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
I have been running my 2019 GT on Shell Nitro 93 since I got it. I’m asking people who use regular gas how your car runs on it. With the price of gas l’m thinking of switching. Gas prices are getting out of hand.
Honestly I wanan try it one day and see, but for rn I’m running 93. But I’m sure there won’t be a massive hp downgrade if it’s a n/a car Ik boosted application make a huge difference in octane ratings. Some car def can’t run 87 and require 91+ regardless.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
With the price of gas l’m thinking of switching
My car when I bought it brand new had 1/2 tank worth of 87 (from the factory). Ran fine. 2 miles to the gas station, filled it with 94, never seen a drop of 87 again. I'll continue with that tradition.

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I've always used the best gas/highest octane I can find. I feel its a step towards goodness. My truck deserves it. My future Mach 1 even more so.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
My truck deserves it.
Not to start a whole octane debate but if your truck doesn't call for premium you are getting exactly zero benefit other than a lighter wallet.

Sponsored

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I’ve ran mine for the past five years on 87 for usually 9 months of the year and usually 93 during the hot summer months. The only difference I’ve felt is it seemed to run a little smoother during those hot 100 degree days on 93 vs 87. In the cooler nine months it’s ran perfectly on 87. This year it won’t see 93.

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
No 93 in my town so it eats 91 only. I know a few guys that not only run the lowest octane local, but also go to the discount gas stations for it. They seem to be ok with it. But they are also the kind that have no idea what knock sensors are & run Bama tunes & wonder why my stock 5.0 walks theirs.

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Ran my old 2017 GT on 87 for the first 1,200 miles, then switched to 91 for about 500 miles to make sure the 87 was out of the system to install the Ford Performance power pack 2. Noticed absolutely no difference in how the car ran until I installed the power pack.

Traded in the 2017 on a 2020 GT and drove it for about 2,000 miles on 87, then about 700 miles on 91 to Make sure the 87 was out of the system to get ready for a Ford Performance calibration kit. Again, no difference in how the car ran until I installed the kit.

You will be fine on 87 for a daily driver, manual even states 87 is fine. Now, if you were going to head to a track and beat on the car, I would probably fill the tank with 91.

Doug

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Not to start a whole octane debate but if your truck doesn't call for premium you are getting exactly zero benefit other than a lighter wallet.
To be fair, the Mustang doesn't call for premium either...yet it gains *some* benefit from 93 vs 91.

Most medium-high powered engines will gain some benefit from going up a few octane degrees as the ECUs are smart enough to add in timing if no knock is detected. On an econobox probably not, but a LT or Coyote or EB or Hemi truck engine will most certainly gain something from premium. Whether that's noticeable or worth it, that's another story.

Sponsored

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
I ran 87 in mine a couple times, probably not a good comparison since it was a tank here or there. But I didn’t notice a bit of difference. I do worry a bit if I am somehow hurting the engine by running it, its irrational but I still think it. But even with gas prices as they are I look at it as a $6-$8 a tank difference, I can save that easily by not buying two beers at the tap house.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
I run regular all the time in my Bullitt. No issues, no pinging, just less power. I only put high quality fuel in, never from no name bargain places.

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
I ran 87 in mine a couple times, probably not a good comparison since it was a tank here or there. But I didn’t notice a bit of difference. I do worry a bit if I am somehow hurting the engine by running it, its irrational but I still think it. But even with gas prices as they are I look at it as a $6-$8 a tank difference, I can save that easily by not buying two beers at the tap house.
Locally they have about $1/g extra tax on 93 that makes it way more expensive than most places. In the grand scheme of things, it’s just a little offensive paying that extra tax.