Sponsored

Hood Struts

ER95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys, hope ya’ll are enjoying the holidays and all is well.

I’ve been kicking around the idea of installing hood struts. Have read lots of reviews and seems most people like it but I’ve seen some issues with kinked washer lines or hood misalignment, etc. Noticed also that some modification to the plastic battery cover needs to be done.

I’m leaning towards the Ford Performance set on American Muscle.

If you have a set of any brand or the Ford Performance set, please chime in your experience.

Thanks
Sponsored

jimbabwe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP Convertible
I have the MMD Hood Struts, and like them. They aren't as expensive/fancy as the Redline or Ford Performance, but they get the job done, especially since I open the hood between autocross runs. The one plus is that you don't have to modify the battery cover, unlike most other kits. My hood edges do stick up slightly from the front fenders, but you don't notice it unless you're searching for it

Last edited:

Oryx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Not sure of the differences between the brands, but I do wish the FP ones had just a little more power... They do the job, but I can see over time the potential for being borderline strong enough to hold up. So far no real complaints however. the modification of the battery cover is pretty easy and if done carefully won't look out of place. However, if you need to completely remove the battery cover you will likely need to slot the cover to remove without unbolting the hood strut.

Definitely prefer the struts one the rod, but either get the job done

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase

Velocity 5.0L

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue 2019 Mustang GT
I have the Ford Performance hood strut kit for my mustang from CJ pony parts (price matched between them and AM). I think it is great and have not had any issues thus far with it. You pop the hood, release the hood latch, lift the hood about a foot and a half/two feet and the struts do the rest for you.

Installation was very easy, you do however have to put a small slice and a hole in the battery cover, but you don't even notice it (depending on if you do it cleanly and take your time).

Side note, I did like the Ford Performance logo on the side of them as well, just thought it added a cool touch to it, but that is subjective to everyone obviously.

Good luck on your hood strut adventure! :like:

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Hey guys, hope ya’ll are enjoying the holidays and all is well.

I’ve been kicking around the idea of installing hood struts. Have read lots of reviews and seems most people like it but I’ve seen some issues with kinked washer lines or hood misalignment, etc. Noticed also that some modification to the plastic battery cover needs to be done.

I’m leaning towards the Ford Performance set on American Muscle.

If you have a set of any brand or the Ford Performance set, please chime in your experience.

Thanks
You can search for multiple threads on this topic, but to keep it simple.....

Redline
Steeda
Roush
Ford Performance

You will find a lot of dislike for the MMD struts as a number of members have had issues with them

You spent $30-40K on your car. A $20 bill isn’t going to make a difference.

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
I've put several of these on regular S550 Mustangs, and the Ford Performance ones were a great Mod for my GT350.

I slightly change the Battery Cover procedure to this:
Battery Cover Mod.jpg

Oryx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I've put several of these on regular S550 Mustangs, and the Ford Performance ones were a great Mod for my GT350.

I slightly change the Battery Cover procedure to this:
Battery Cover Mod.jpg
Exactly.

nms_1122

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicole
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K1166
I've put the Ford Performance struts on both of my Mustangs and they've worked great. The washer line runs right adjacent to them and there's never been a problem. You do have to modify the battery cover, but with patience and a step bit it isn't even noticeable. I agree with the other posters that you'll also want to cut a slit to be able to remove the battery cover without removing the strut.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I wanted the FP ones because, well, Ford. Unfortunately I read a lot of bad reviews about them so I bought the Redline ones instead. Modifying the cover is easy and done like suggested above looks factory and no one will know unless you tell them. Unless they have struts too...

Sponsored

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Mine are the Steeda variation. They work as desired/required. WRT the necessary hole for one end of one strut, I did that and the slit/split to allow battery cover removal. I'll point out that someone pointed out (after I split the damn' thing) you can just pivot the battery cover around the strut mount to accomplish almost any necessary battery-area work. I also added "Steeda" stickers to the prop bodies. Cute.

GrayCarUnderhood cr0p IMG_0077.jpg

OP
OP
ER95

ER95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone for your input. I went ahead and ordered the Redline kit, will post pics when installed.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks everyone for your input. I went ahead and ordered the Redline kit, will post pics when installed.
congrats.... enjoy them!!!

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Has anyone ever had the aluminum hood kink because of the struts?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Has anyone wrapped the prop rod to keep it from getting nuclear hot instead of going to struts?
Sponsored