Help on New Engine or Buyback!

CPlatthy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
We have the 2020 Orange GT350
Black Top and White Stripe Shelby.
We have had it roughly 50 days and broke it in slowly and have roughly 1200 miles on it.
It shut down completely and we had it towed. The dealership said it had a blown cylinder (their issue) and they would replace the engine.

Our dilemma. We kept everything (original factory wrapping - still on when we picked it up, sealed mats, original paperwork and dealership invoicing..)
The new engine will not be a matching numbers car to the original title and paperwork.
We have mixed opinions...some say Ford will have the letter we can provide that will show why they replaced the engine and it will be fine in the future if it’s ever sold.
Others say no everything will be listed in CarFax and some may not even look at it once they see that the engine was replaced assuming other parts of the car could also be damaged or just want a matching all original parts car.
There are no other orange, black top with the white stripe available.
We would need to look for something else.

Thoughts - replace the engine or go to Ford and fight for the Buyback??
Sponsored

Last edited:

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
We have had it roughly 50 days and broke it in slowly and have roughly 1200 miles on it.
It shut down completely and we had it towed. The dealership said it had a blown cylinder (their issue) and they would replace the engine.

Our dilemma. We kept everything (original factory wrapping - still on when we picked it up, sealed mats, original paperwork and dealership invoicing..)
The new engine will not be a matching numbers car to the original title and paperwork.
We have mixed opinions...some say Ford will have the letter we can provide that will show why they replaced the engine and it will be fine in the future if it’s ever sold.
Others say no everything will be listed in CarFax and some may not even look at it once they see that the engine was replaced assuming other parts of the car could also be damaged or just want a matching all original parts car.
There are no other orange, black top with the white stripe.

if you even remotely think you might sell it in the next couple years, you will get less out of it. A buyer will look at you funny as soon as you mention engine replacement...even if they are familiar with these cars and the tons of replacements. It is what it is.

But if you’re going to drive it, that may not end up mattering. If you truly just want to enjoy the car, and the dealer gives it back to you in working order, you’ll likely be good to go. And since you’re piling miles on, the numbers matching wont matter as much.

just my opinion, good luck on whatever you choose!

Buckwampum

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 (which replaces my 2011 GT500, which replaced my 2002 Z06)

*snip*

There are no other orange, black top with the white stripe.

Well there are at least two other cars like yours already out there, assuming your VIN is listed here (hat tip to corrieb's VIN tracker):
VINModelStatusColorStripe ColorBlk Roof
1FA6P8JZ5L5550308GT350DeliveredOrangeWhiteY
1FA6P8JZ6L5550639GT350DeliveredOrangeWhiteY
1FA6P8JZ3L5551358GT350DeliveredOrangeWhiteY

It's an unusual color selection, I'll give you that, but you already knew that. I guess it comes down to did you buy that color scheme because you like that color scheme or were you trying to create a unicorn car for some future collector?

If it's the former, then the car still has the same color scheme and the engine replacement shouldn't matter to you. Be glad it was under warranty when it popped. I lost the original engine in my '02 Z06 in 2005 and it had no impact on resale when I sold it in 2010.

If it's the latter, then that future collector may just really want the color scheme too and not care about the engine. Or they might.

So that's three outcomes, where two out of three outcomes are not affected by the engine swap.

The good news is that there are several orange cars w black roofs still in the pipeline. Most have black stripes. Just de-stripe the black, add the white stripes and drive on:

VINModelStatusColorStripe ColorBlk Roof
1FA6P8JZ8L5552229GT350In ProductionOrangeBlackY
1FA6P8JZXL5552233GT350In ProductionOrangeBlackY
1FA6P8JZ0L5552239GT350In ProductionOrange-Y
1FA6P8JZXL5552572GT350In Order ProcessingOrangeBlackY
1FA6P8JZXL5552698GT350In Order ProcessingOrangeBlackY

OP
OP

CPlatthy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
if you even remotely think you might sell it in the next couple years, you will get less out of it. A buyer will look at you funny as soon as you mention engine replacement...even if they are familiar with these cars and the tons of replacements. It is what it is.

But if you’re going to drive it, that may not end up mattering. If you truly just want to enjoy the car, and the dealer gives it back to you in working order, you’ll likely be good to go. And since you’re piling miles on, the numbers matching wont matter as much.

just my opinion, good luck on whatever you choose!
We won’t sell anytime soon. We will put miles on, but not a tremendous amount. We took it out for some rides to enjoy but were just about to put her away. We live in a temperamental state and won’t even bring her out 6 months of the year.

Last edited:

Buckwampum

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 (which replaces my 2011 GT500, which replaced my 2002 Z06)
I forgot to add that if you do want to swap out the car, there are probably several other orange cars w/wo the black roof and w/wo stripes. If you want help locating an orange car that can have the roof painted and or be striped to match what you have now, just sing out and we'll get you onto the VIN tracker thread, where someone can help you find an upcoming (already ordered) car. Time is short, as the order bank closed a few weeks back, so you're going to have to pick from whatever cars are already ordered for dealer stock and are now coming down the pipeline. Good luck with your decision!

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
The question is - will Ford buy it back at this point? Even if they do - the process will likely not happen overnight.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Keep it and drive it. it's like you got a license to drive it like a maniac now. Honestly they should offer you an extended warranty as well for peace of mind.

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
As others have answered before you should be able to get a very good extended warranty because of this.
I have restored original Shelby's and this idea that we are buying new Shelby's as an investment is a little silly. One of the best Shelby investment is a 65 (first year) R-Code race car. The other way to make crazy money with a Mustang is to sell one driven by Steve Mcqueen. So let's be honest, Ford has not created the race value with these new Shelby's and Steve's Mustang is in a very private collection.
If you bought your Shelby to enjoy make sure it's at a dealership with qualified mechanics and get Ford to give you a 100k mile warranty.
Still hard to read that guys are shocked that some of these super high performance cars have problems. Sorry you got one with problems.

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I'm just shocked to see so many issues with the 2020 models at low mileage.
"so many" is pretty hard to quantify at this time.

Sponsored

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
At least it seems like the prices have come down on engines (not that they are cheap yet!). I thought these were running $25k not too long ago? Maybe this isn't the correct part number for a long block (from Autonation White Bear Lake).

1603205394380.png

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Don't own a 350, so just my opinion.
Like it or not the 350's have a bad engine reputation. Every time I mention to someone I would like one their response... you know those engines blow up.

So my thinking is that anyone looking to buy a used 350 knows this. A replacement engine would not be unusual for this car, if they know anything about what they are buying they will understand.

From what I've picked up most engine failures are at idle or low speeds, not from being beat on.

To me a documented engine replacement isn't a big deal, may even be a plus.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Keep in mind they have bui;t
At least it seems like the prices have come down on engines (not that they are cheap yet!). I thought these were running $25k not too long ago? Maybe this isn't the correct part number for a long block (from Autonation White Bear Lake).

1603205394380.png
Well depending on who installs it and their rate the labor can really add up.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Don't own a 350, so just my opinion.
Like it or not the 350's have a bad engine reputation. Every time I mention to someone I would like one their response... you know those engines blow up.

So my thinking is that anyone looking to buy a used 350 knows this. A replacement engine would not be unusual for this car, if they know anything about what they are buying they will understand.

From what I've picked up most engine failures are at idle or low speeds, not from being beat on.

To me a documented engine replacement isn't a big deal, may even be a plus.
I agree there is a stigma. Unfortunately, that's social media for you these days. When the halo Mustang has some failures, it gets a lot of traction online from people complaining. A lot more people with issues complain than people with a good experience send praise..that goes for pretty much everything. There are many theories about both the reasons for any failures AND the actual number of failures so I won't rehash that here except to state that anyone that I've talked to that has asked me about them blowing up have almost zero car knowledge and they "heard" that they blow up. My first one (2016 R) was fine and the new owner is tracking it - up to 16k miles now. I just bought another one (20R), so obviously, you know how I feel about it.

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
"so many" is pretty hard to quantify at this time.
Seems like they addressed the oil consumption issue of the pre-2019 Voodoos to have a bad batch of valves choking 2019+ Voodoos.

No scientific evidence as there has been no formal tracking on this forum. From my observance on this forum it seems like Voodoos in latter 2019 builds (after May of 2019) into 2020 builds may be suspect to the failed valve issue? Perhaps we can compile some stats in a thread for build dates on failed valve Voodoos?
Sponsored