PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
I have a 2018 GT and I am planning on getting long tube headers soon. I have been researching ceramic coatings and have come down to either Cermakrome which is a polished chrome look or Turbo x which comes in either black or blue. Turbo x seems to have the edge in reducing under hood temperatures but I like the visual of the chrome Cermkrome. My decision might end up being based on whether the headers are visible in the engine bay(I don't use an engine cover). Can anyone who has done the chrome headers let me know.
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t help you on your specific question, but my exhaust is done in Tech Line CermaKrome :

1704443215212.jpeg

1704443349493.jpeg

Although more expensive, I think if I was you and I was looking at manifolds, I would consider :

https://zircotec.com/products/coatings/thermohold/performance-white/

I have seen the white done on turbo exhaust manifolds and in reality, it has a slightly creamy coloured look to it i.e. it might go with your accent colours quite well ... :sunglasses:

WD :like:

OP
OP
PKs

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Geeze, now you have really opened a can worms. Yes my ivory accent colour is very welcome and I will indeed look into zircotec further tomorrow. With a quick search it seems that they have an office in Adelaide, South Australia (same place that my chosen Pacemaker extractors come from) but they don't have the physical coating facilities to apply the product. It is the start of the weekend here now so I will give them a call on Monday. I still wonder if nicely coated headers can be seen on our cars without lying on your back underneath a jacked up car.

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I have a set of LTH headers on mine and they have a "Titan™ finish for added durability". They turned a nice bronze almost after a little driving. I like how they look. I absolutely hate chrome anything so this was exactly what i was looking for.

Reactions: PKs

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
@PKs
First thing to ask are you going with 304 SS or 409 SS headers ?
304 SS doesn’t need any thermal protective coatings.
409 SS with its higher iron will iron oxidize and will have a heat loss close to mild steel exhaust components.

The Titan coating mentioned isn’t an actual coating it’s cut wire blasted 304 Stainless Steel.
Keep in mind once the headers are coated the ability to repair any cracked welds becomes nearly impossible and 304 SS headers will develop cracks at some point.
The Cut Wire Blasted finish is by far the best option vs raw mill finish for 304 SS exhaust components, 409 SS is a whole different story.

Post #11 sums it all up
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/exhaust-flex-joints.186389/

Last edited:

Sponsored

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I had my Kooks stuff ceramic coated by a local shop that uses Cerakote. There were a few colors to choose from.

1704461879479.jpeg

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good old jethot, very noticeable in under hood temperatures and floorboard temps!

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Good old jethot, very noticeable in under hood temperatures and floorboard temps!
Back in the Good Ol Days of mild steel headers.
Does anyone even make non 304 S550 headers except Doug Throley’s Tri-Y 409 SS coated headers ?

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back in the Good Ol Days of mild steel headers.
Does anyone even make non 304 S550 headers except Doug Throley’s Tri-Y 409 SS coated headers ?
Would be interested in what a metallurgist could find looking at chinese 304 headers vs the big names ones

That said you can still coat them to keep the temps down

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Would be interested in what a metallurgist could find looking at chinese 304 headers vs the big names ones

That said you can still coat them to keep the temps down
A lot of tubing being used is imported from China’s “Polaris Tube” is a big supplier, Thailand and Korea another. Surprisingly Thailand is making very high quality tubing product.

The coating will not lower the temps when applied to 304/321 series stainless steel as it does with mild steel.
The ceramic coating ruins the ability to properly weld repair the header, this aspect is over looked by most.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hostil

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I can’t help you on your specific question, but my exhaust is done in Tech Line CermaKrome :

1704443215212.jpeg

1704443349493.jpeg

Although more expensive, I think if I was you and I was looking at manifolds, I would consider :

https://zircotec.com/products/coatings/thermohold/performance-white/

I have seen the white done on turbo exhaust manifolds and in reality, it has a slightly creamy coloured look to it i.e. it might go with your accent colours quite well ... :sunglasses:

I LIKE, REAL PURDY!!!!!

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I LIKE, REAL PURDY!!!!!
I only did it because A) the exhaust was off, B) the euro underseal makes them look like crap, C) the euro underseal is a bitch to clean off (so I was looking at paying for a blasting service), D) the cost of quality heat proof paint and E) the time / labour involved in options C & D when offsetting that to getting them professionally done.

For reference, the euro underseal ...

1704466241561.jpeg

1704466259806.jpeg

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I only did it because A) the exhaust was off, B) the euro underseal makes them look like crap, C) the euro underseal is a bitch to clean off (so I was looking at paying for a blasting service), D) the cost of quality heat proof paint and E) the time / labour involved in options C & D when offsetting that to getting them professionally done.

For reference, the euro underseal ...

1704466241561.jpeg

1704466259806.jpeg

Looks nice plus the OEM exhaust is 400 series stainless so the coating will work as designed. Oh and no more nasty looking 409 surface iron oxidation.

Last edited:

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
For me. I got LTH long tube headers and wanted to reduce the under hood heat as well created by the headers. I looked into the Ceramic coating company's (They are not all created equal to say the least) but realized in my days of racing, Wrapping reduced the heat from the headers substantially more than a ceramic coating. But it does look cool.
** I wrapped my LTH with DEI Titanium wrap (which was a Bitxxh to do) and steel banded for security. After the wrap was broke in (will be smoky for a bit) I can touch my LTH with the engine running and not get burnt. Even though I didn't have to high temp spray paint the titanium wrap, I did anyway silver. Good Luck

1704472431397.png

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
I have a 2018 GT and I am planning on getting long tube headers soon. I have been researching ceramic coatings and have come down to either Cermakrome which is a polished chrome look or Turbo x which comes in either black or blue. Turbo x seems to have the edge in reducing under hood temperatures but I like the visual of the chrome Cermkrome. My decision might end up being based on whether the headers are visible in the engine bay(I don't use an engine cover). Can anyone who has done the chrome headers let me know.
I have now done this on two cars, each time with Cerakote Glacier coating. The attached image is their Titanium color. It makes a DRAMATIC difference in underhood temps. Within a couple minutes of shutting the engine off, you can touch the headers with your bare hands.

https://www.cerakote.com/shop/cerakote-coating/C-7900/cerakote-glacier-titanium

IMG_6718.jpg

IMG_6719.jpg
Sponsored