Sponsored

GT vs Tesla

Phils15GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
As a result of these incidents, the United States Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) conducted a study in 2017 to establish whether lithium-ion batteries in plug-electric vehicles pose an exceptional fire hazard. The research looked at whether the high-voltage batteries can cause fires when they are being charged, and when the vehicles are involved in an accident.[1]

220px-Volvo_C30_Electric_WAS_2011_852.jpg

Frontal crash test of a Volvo C30 Drive Electric to assess the safety of the battery pack
Regarding the risk of electrochemical failure, [this] report concludes that the propensity and severity of fires and explosions from the accidental ignition of flammable electrolytic solvents used in Li-ion battery systems are anticipated to be somewhat comparable to or perhaps slightly less than those for gasoline or diesel vehicular fuels. The overall consequences for Li-ion batteries are expected to be less because of the much smaller amounts of flammable solvent released and burning in a catastrophic failure situation.[1]
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Tell that to the Fire dept that is trying to put out the fire.

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
Try racing a Tesla Plaid. The thing is a monster .

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Try racing a Tesla Plaid. The thing is a monster .
No soul though. Quiet as a church mouse and it isn't a marvel of engineering like an ICE with a thousand moving parts all working together to produce power and acceleration. It's just a fast RC car you can sit in.

Phils15GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Doesn't make the car not enjoyable/fun. A 40 hit in a plaid takes your breath away - very violent. I mean, literally, its like a punch in your chest. Similar feel as the instant tq/power of twin screw car but multiply that by a lot. And marvel of engineering... isn't that exactly what an EV is?

Not saying it's better than all ICE vehicles but it sure is a performer. I was in denial of EVs for years, and most of them are still meh, but once driving and owning a plaid, it has changed the way I view them. Not trying to sell anyone on getting one, just saying it's not a disappointer.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
No soul though. Quiet as a church mouse and it isn't a marvel of engineering like an ICE with a thousand moving parts all working together to produce power and acceleration. It's just a fast RC car you can sit in.
Have you driven one? If you haven't then your comment has no merit. I have driven a Performance and been driven in a Plaid. Other than the relative silence it is a hoot in either seat. Soul is more than just the device suppling power to the wheels.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you driven one? If you haven't then your comment has no merit. I have driven a Performance and been driven in a Plaid. Other than the relative silence it is a hoot in either seat. Soul is more than just the device suppling power to the wheels.
Yes I have driven a few actually. :giggle: Does it shock you that a person could drive an EV and not enjoy it? 🤔 That's amazing.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Yes I have driven a few actually. :giggle: Does it shock you that a person could drive an EV and not enjoy it? 🤔 That's amazing.
No I totally get it. You are entitled to your opinion and it certainly does has merit. I think we both know that the majority of those who denigrate EV's on here have never stepped foot in one. I was just checking. :like: :fistbump:

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No I totally get it. You are entitled to your opinion and it certainly does has merit. I think we both know that the majority of those who denigrate EV's on here have never stepped foot in one. I was just checking. :like: :fistbump:
EVs are definitely a polarizing subject that incenses people.

FKE SNK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, 93 Cobra clone
Doesn't make the car not enjoyable/fun. A 40 hit in a plaid takes your breath away - very violent. I mean, literally, its like a punch in your chest. Similar feel as the instant tq/power of twin screw car but multiply that by a lot. And marvel of engineering... isn't that exactly what an EV is?

Not saying it's better than all ICE vehicles but it sure is a performer. I was in denial of EVs for years, and most of them are still meh, but once driving and owning a plaid, it has changed the way I view them. Not trying to sell anyone on getting one, just saying it's not a disappointer.
Finally someone who gets it. The acceleration IS violent. I find it to be a little uncomfortable on internal organs after a few consistent rips.

Oddly enough the power has been pulled back 0-30 IMO relative to the older Luda cars. Where the plaids shine is top end power. They dont accelerate on the highway, they teleport

Theres a ton of EV vs gas debate - I've owned both and I think they both have their place. However a base Model S now goes 400+ miles and traps mid 130s. It will also spin the front tires from a 60 roll. How can you not get behind that?

Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Driven a performance model 3 and been in a plaid also. Actually on the same day lol.

For me the problem comes when every car on the market is electric. When every performance electric car makes no sound, has the same instant power, same 0-60 numbers, same 1/4 mile times etc.. There is actually a limit how fast a car can accelerate on the streets with street tires. We have already reached that with 0-60 times.

That`s when you simply just pick the one you think looks better because they are all stupid fast.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
How many of you worried over EV fires put Christmas trees in your homes?
I'm not worried about EV fires. I don't own an EV.

And my Christmas tree is fireproof.

For $129,000 starting price it should do a lot more than just have quick acceleration. It's not enough pleasure for that kind of cash.

EVs are definitely a polarizing subject that incenses people.
I don't think it's the EVs that upset people. They are just a type of car that isn't quite as good as ICE cars yet (and may never be if the market doesn't get to work).

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
I think the crux of this banter is that people don’t like silent EVs gapping their ICE rides. Simple as that. So they point to “it can’t turn”, “it can’t go WOT for miles”, “it will explode and kill your family”, “it doesn’t have a soul”, all while they never track their cars, never do races that are actually a mile, and drive an ICE vehicle that is likely to have killed more people due to manufacturing issues than EVs.

Phils15GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm not worried about EV fires. I don't own an EV.

And my Christmas tree is fireproof.

For $129,000 starting price it should do a lot more than just have quick acceleration. It's not enough pleasure for that kind of cash.

I don't think it's the EVs that upset people. They are just a type of car that isn't quite as good as ICE cars yet (and may never be if the market doesn't get to work).

The only thing it can't do is make noise. It can do anything and everything. Having the ability to drive me from pont A to point B with a click of a button is kind of neat. Full charge for 6 bucks, low 9s @ 150+, every creature comfort, adjustable suspension on the fly, kid watching movies on a screen in the back, handles decent, looks pretty good with the wider fenders, 350+ miles on full charge, can adjust the power the car has (3 settings), drag/launch mode and then you have all the gimmicky stuff. Car can drive to you when not in it, within certain distance, light show kind of cool, sentry mode, camp mode, dog mode. Goes on and on. Just missing sound.AWD.

Not for everyone...
Sponsored