GT vs Tesla

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Would you agree it's hard to beat an EV for regular around town driving? They do pretty much everything well if you can charge at home.

My only complaint about EV's as a whole is the clinical feel, the lack of sound, and the lack of interaction. One pedal driving is nice and all, but you feel so much more like a passenger. A rowdy stick shift car is a great way to spice up the daily commute....

Of course having 1000HP on tap probably has plenty of spice in itself when you want it, lol.
EVs might be better if you have a home charger. There are tons of people out there living in condos, apartments, or just cannot afford to spend 1000-1500 bucks in install/equipment on top of spending extra for a EV.

In terms of lack of emotion. I really hope companies like Porsche, BMW, and even Ford can make electric cars with emotion. Make the electric motor naturally louder with piping that goes into the cabin and outside not speakers. Electric motors can be pretty loud, just listen to Formula E or a RC car :). Then add a transmission and vibrations from the motor in a 2 door sports car design. Only thing that will suck is that all electric cars will sound the same.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
BEV's are the CFL's of cars. They won't work for the masses.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
I have my plaid set to charge at my house from 11pm-6am, only costs 6 cents a kilowatt between those hours. Believe its around 100 kilowatt battery. Range is 350 miles or so, which isn't accurate with how I drive it. Also, come winter, I'm guessing range will be cut way down with cold weather. Full charge will probably drop down to 2xx miles or so. Tesla does have their superchargers that charge incredibly quick but that comes with a cost of 60 cents or so per KW. So far I think the lowest I got it down to in a day is around 40% charge left. Plug it in when I park it at night and it's back to 90% by morning. Usually plug in 2-3 times a week depending how much I drive.

The car does have fell self driving capability which is decent but I usually get impatient with how safe/slow it drives so deactivate and drive myself. It is nice for the early morning rides to work though.

Any questions related to EV/Tesla, feel free to ask. I still love mustangs/muscle cars though. Hope to grab another come spring.
I live not far from you and would love to go for a ride :)

Fast is fast, perhaps accelerating with the windows open will help with the lack of exhaust/intake sound.

Sponsored

Phils15GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Would you agree it's hard to beat an EV for regular around town driving? They do pretty much everything well if you can charge at home.

My only complaint about EV's as a whole is the clinical feel, the lack of sound, and the lack of interaction. One pedal driving is nice and all, but you feel so much more like a passenger. A rowdy stick shift car is a great way to spice up the daily commute....

Of course having 1000HP on tap probably has plenty of spice in itself when you want it, lol.

Very easy to drive around town or even the freeway. Autopilot/FSD is convenient for the commute to and from work.

The one pedal driving is nice. It works most of the time but if you do a little hard accelerating, you will need to use the brakes. The mach e gt allowed one pedal driving to be deactivated but I do not believe the Tesla allows it. The plaid could have used better brakes from the factory with how fast it accelerates. I do believe Tesla offers a brake upgrade for a small fee of $20,000. Pass on that.

As far as charging, as long as you have a 30amp setup available, you can charge around 22 miles per hour which is perfect for overnight. Tesla supplied me with a mobil charger so no other charger purchase was necessary. When we had the house built, we had a 30amp setup installed in the garage as I planned on putting in a lift. You definitely don't want to rely on a regular outlet to charge as that will get you a hot 3mph charge rate.

It has some gimmicky things it can do but don't use too much. My daughter gets a kick out of the fart on demand feature and the light show. It has a summon feature that allows you to summon the car to you as long as you are within a certain distance. Odd to watch the car drive with no one in the car. I tried it the other night in a parking lot but it appeared to have a mind of its own by heading the opposite way as me. It eventually made it close enough to me but seemed a bit sketch.

Last edited:

JoeSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, Manual
Very easy to drive around town or even the freeway. Autopilot/FSD is convenient for the commute to and from work.

The one pedal driving is nice. It works most of the time but if you do a little hard accelerating, you will need to use the brakes. The mach e gt allowed one pedal driving to be deactivated but I do not believe the Tesla allows it. The plaid could have used better brakes from the factory with how fast it accelerates. I do believe Tesla offers a brake upgrade for a small fee of $20,000. Pass on that.

As far as charging, as long as you have a 30amp setup available, you can charge around 22 miles per hour which is perfect for overnight. Tesla supplied me with a mobil charger so no other charger purchase was necessary. When we had the house built, we had a 30amp setup installed in the garage as I planned on putting in a lift. You definitely don't want to rely on a regular outlet to charge as that will get you a hot 3mph charge rate.

It has some gimmicky things it can do but don't use too much. My daughter gets a kick out of the fart on demand feature and the light show. It has a summon feature that allows you to summon the car to you as long as you are within a certain distance. Odd to watch the car drive with no one in the car. I tried it the other night in a parking lot but it appeared to have a mind of its own by heading the opposite way as me. It eventually made it close enough to me but seemed a bit sketch.
You dont actually park it IN the garage do you??

https://fireisolator.com/the-danger-of-an-ev-car-fire-in-garages/

1665890064770.jpeg

nnnnnn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
I would agree with @Bikeman315 they can be both quick and fast but also agree with you that they won’t be fast over a longer distance. 1/4 mile, yeah they’ll be quick and fast and will spank a lot of ICE cars. Longer distances they’ll need the Energizer bunny cuz that battery will start draining in a hurry.
This makes sense. At the quarter mile, a plaid loses about 2 to 3% charge for every pass in the peak performance mode. I know this from watching this guy from the Tesla Plaid channel or whatever. So if the race is 1 mile long, he would lose a 10% battery charge lol. Definitely they have something to worry about.

Phils15GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
There were 1529.9 fires per 100k for gas vehicles and just 25.1 fires per 100k sales for electric vehicles.Oct 3, 2022
1665942758852.png

https://www.autoweek.com › news
How Much Should You Worry About EV Fires? - Autoweek

We established a global EV battery fire database to find out
Our research found there's a 0.0012% chance your passenger electric vehicle battery will catch fire, which is a much smaller risk than we expected to find.Apr 26, 2022
1665942787943.png

https://www.evfiresafe.com › post
How common are EV fires? - EV Fire Safe

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Our research found there's a 0.0012% chance your passenger electric vehicle battery will catch fire, which is a much smaller risk than we expected to find.Apr 26, 2022
I know 2 people who lost houses due to EV's going into BBQ mode. I know of 0 who lost a house to a ICE catching fire in a garage.

Sponsored

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
A lot of evs bought use are move in auctions with forklifts, damaging the undercarriage and causing those problems. I have a friend who owns a mechanic shop and 2 teslas. He says he will never buy an used ev.

JoeSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, Manual
There were 1529.9 fires per 100k for gas vehicles and just 25.1 fires per 100k sales for electric vehicles.Oct 3, 2022
1665942758852.png

https://www.autoweek.com › news
How Much Should You Worry About EV Fires? - Autoweek

We established a global EV battery fire database to find out
1665942787943.png

https://www.evfiresafe.com › post
How common are EV fires? - EV Fire Safe
ill take my chances with a gas engine instead of a Rolling Crematorium

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
How many of you worried over EV fires put Christmas trees in your homes?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
How many of you worried over EV fires put Christmas trees in your homes?
Do you still use actual candles on your tree? How about incandescent light bulbs?

Oh you use cool to the touch LED's.......

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Do you still use actual candles on your tree? How about incandescent light bulbs?

Oh you use cool to the touch LED's.......
No, and EV batteries don’t burn down homes on the daily…..
Sponsored