Sponsored

Good, cheap, user friendly, Track app

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
I'm finally getting around to installing a track app on my android smartphone so I can log some data, video, and lap times at HPDE events. Appreciate that I am "old school". For many years my data logging/video apparatus consisted of a VHS camera mounted to a harness bar. I tried searching these forums for track apps, but I got a ton of crap that wasn't related. If someone is aware of an existing thread that covers this, feel free to share. Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SVO MkII

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
SVO MkII

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly that
Thank you very much. I know this is probably rudimentary to most people, I just haven't given it any thought. Thanks.

Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
It is actually very precise within 2 tents from bigger system.
Also start to be familiar with racerender3. A free render software. There are many youtube video on it.

OP
OP
SVO MkII

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is actually very precise within 2 tents from bigger system.
Also start to be familiar with racerender3. A free render software. There are many youtube video on it.
As long as I have your attention, any suggestions on a good windshield mount for the phone, one that holds up to high G-forces?

OP
OP
SVO MkII

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, I downloaded Trackaddict, ordered my OBDII sender, and a new windshield mount. Hopefully I'll get some good video/data from Road America this weekend. Thanks for the help.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
My friends with Chevys just use the in-car app. I'm jelly. Some of the newer consumer electronics cameras have good telemetry overlays as well. GoPros are not the best choice any more it seems.

For mobile devices Track Addict is my current fav. Harry's Lap Timer is another, but I don't think its as friendly, esp for setup and getting things synced. I'm getting to know Solo Storm (which is $$$), but its been a rocky start w/ that one for me so far.

Race Render is a great PC app to get to know as well.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Everything I’ve tried to do with external GPS and OBDII has been problematic, time consuming, and unreliable... maybe that’s just me.

Mount up a GoPro Hero5 and click record. You can get lap times by writing down time stamps if you want.

the GoPro quick app makes it easy to trim out individual laps if you want with speed, gos path, and accel.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Everything I’ve tried to do with external GPS and OBDII has been problematic, time consuming, and unreliable... maybe that’s just me.

Mount up a GoPro Hero5 and click record. You can get lap times by writing down time stamps if you want.

the GoPro quick app makes it easy to trim out individual laps if you want with speed, gos path, and accel.
This is probably the easiest 'good' approach. You can get a GoPro Hero8 from Costco for <$300. They're ability to smooth vibration and focus out the windshield is pretty impressive.

A 'better' answer is AimSports SmartyCam which has an OBDII interface and GPS, but that's ~$1k, which is more than most would like to spend.

Last edited:

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
to capture video/audio, i use a gopro hero 6 black @ 1080p/60fps w/ external mic mounted on the rear bumper. for data, i use a solo 2 dl connected to the obd-ii port, which captures a LOT (speed, rpm, throttle position, brake pressure, steering angle, IAT, CHT, oil temp, long/lat g, etc etc etc). i then sync them with racerender, using a template i setup over the span of a few hours. the trick is getting everything on the same tenth crossing the start/finish (or shifting to first in autox), but it gets easier the more you do it (takes me a few mins at most now from program open to rendering). pretty happy with how things turn out now:

and yes, the "easy button" is smartycam + solo 2 dl, which syncs and makes everything available in near-realtime but as mentioned, very costly - and it also has HORRIBLE video/audio relative to gopro (even one several generations removed such as mine), so only useful as instant feedback (or for those not wanting to manually sync) IMO.
Sponsored