Sponsored

Golf R vs EB Mustang

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
This forum is the first exposure I've had to car guys who buy cars not based on how they drive, but based on how they make them look, how they sound and their car's legacy. It's strange to me, and it's something I doubt I'll ever understand.
I personally think the wrx/sti is too boy racer looking and that is enough to turn me off getting one. But I would never not buy a vehicle because of what someone else might think/say.
Sponsored

tribaltek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 STi
hatchbacks don't carry the same cachet and air of maturity that sports sedans, sports coupes, and sports cars do amongst "normal" people. If you work/hang with a crowd that feels otherwise, consider yourself lucky.
I guess I could care less what anyone else thinks about what I drive :shrug:

AMAlexLazarus

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.americanmuscle.com
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
'14 F150 EcoBoost/'08 Bullitt
If the Golf R comes in at around 35k, does that make anyone's decision on an Ecoboost harder?

I know the hatchback body style is not everyone's cup of tea, but 290hp, AWD, tunable, hatchback versatility, and decent gas mileage. Pretty compelling. And it should be a bit quicker, especially with the DSG.
Hey,

I'm going to play devils advocate here because I daily drive a Golf R, relax! There's an '08 Bullitt in the stable and I'm highly considering the EcoBoost.

I think the EcoBoost is going to be a lot more car than the Mkvii R that's on the horizon. I just saw one in person over the weekend and the interior quality really left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Having sat in the 2015 I think it's going to be a better buy. I'm confident that the EB's performance and handling is going to be on par if not better despite what I've been reading about the MKVII. Just my .02 here but I'm giving it to the Mustang hands down!

Alex

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hey,

I'm going to play devils advocate here because I daily drive a Golf R, relax! There's an '08 Bullitt in the stable and I'm highly considering the EcoBoost.

I think the EcoBoost is going to be a lot more car than the Mkvii R that's on the horizon. I just saw one in person over the weekend and the interior quality really left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Having sat in the 2015 I think it's going to be a better buy. I'm confident that the EB's performance and handling is going to be on par if not better despite what I've been reading about the MKVII. Just my .02 here but I'm giving it to the Mustang hands down!

Alex
The one thing I can't get over with the Mk7 GTI/R's interior is that huge swathe of shiny plastic that makes up 50% of the IP. It just feels cheaper compared to the Mk6. Everything else is amazing for the price, though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wildcat

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
Hey,

Alex

Hmm, that is interesting. And I appreciate the perspective from someone who's sat in both cars, which I haven't done. I did sit in a GTI at the Chicago auto show and was fairly impressed. Guess I will have to sit in a Mustang pretty soon.

AMAlexLazarus

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.americanmuscle.com
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
'14 F150 EcoBoost/'08 Bullitt
The one thing I can't get over with the Mk7 GTI/R's interior is that huge swathe of shiny plastic that makes up 50% of the IP. It just feels cheaper compared to the Mk6. Everything else is amazing for the price, though.
Agree! It just needs a better interior or something to make it that much different than the GTI. I think it's a really great package but I'd love to drive them both back to back. Something's telling me that the Mustang is going to be a little more entertaining on the back roads coupled with a few minor bolt-on's. I know we definitely have a few tricks up our sleeves and our Eco-Boost is going to be a monster. The price on the Mk7 is going to be :eyebulge:and I would highly anticipate 37+...That's an EB with a large Turbo and a slew of after market parts. I need to get my hands on one first!

Hmm, that is interesting. And I appreciate the perspective from someone who's sat in both cars, which I haven't done. I did sit in a GTI at the Chicago auto show and was fairly impressed. Guess I will have to sit in a Mustang pretty soon.
Coming from someone that owns one definitely get in the Mustang, I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised!

Alex

stilesg57

Threads
Reaction score
What if you decided to buy a fuel efficient midsized sedan to save on gas? Would your boss look down on that too? Your boss sounds like he's a shallow individual, no offense.
None taken -- he is ;) Most rich people are, frankly. But even usually non-shallow people who aren't car-people will totally give you the "huh?" :crazy: look if you tell them about how you can't wait to get rid of your BMW for a Ford. I experience that all the time just talking to random people in my life about how excited I am for the new Mustang :)

This forum is the first exposure I've had to car guys who buy cars not based on how they drive, but based on how they make them look, how they sound and their car's legacy. It's strange to me, and it's something I doubt I'll ever understand.
You haven't spent ANY time on forums for German makes or exotics, have you? :D

I personally think the wrx/sti is too boy racer looking and that is enough to turn me off getting one. But I would never not buy a vehicle because of what someone else might think/say.
But if you had multiple options that really traded very little performance between them because we're totally living in a golden age of cars right now, why wouldn't you pick something with more gravitas? You don't have to give up any performance -- driving or even utility, really -- by not picking a hot hatch these days (aren't we all on a 6g Mustang forum after all?), so even if it's a small factor, why go hatch?

I guess I could care less what anyone else thinks about what I drive :shrug:
Cool. That's not a a bad position to be in man. I care a little bit because I kinda have to, so when splitting hairs between lots of awesome performance cars out there to own, it's a small factor I weigh in. And it weighs against hatches. That's all. It's not like I let other people go to the lot with me and pick what I'll be making payments on though ;)

jlmoya88

Fucking A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Gray Premium Ecoboost
Im asking the same question. I currently have a 2012 Gti stage 2. Very fun car as well as practical but very excited about the new R especially if we get it with DSG transmission on the other hand the EB will have a lot of aftermarket potential. No doubt the better car imo will be the R but pretty set on the new stang.

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
Im asking the same question. I currently have a 2012 Gti stage 2. Very fun car as well as practical but very excited about the new R especially if we get it with DSG transmission on the other hand the EB will have a lot of aftermarket potential. No doubt the better car imo will be the R but pretty set on the new stang.
the nice thing is that by the time the R gets here most of the EB questions will be answered..

i think the big questin is if a downpipe and exhaust opens up the top end on the motor.. and tunes will be pretty plentiful.

beers

Sponsored

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
If i was going between the Golf R and Ecoboost, I would have chosen the Golf R. Honestly the car is fast 5.2s 0-60 with a manual and 4.9s with a DSG, AWD weather proof, usable back seat and cargo capacity, good gas milage, german premium interior though i like the mustangs interior better. Also you can go Stage 1 and 2 with no problem and get 300+ WHP from that little beasty. It weights only 3300lb, but mustang looks more sporty and has that feeling that it means business. Golf is Golf with an R haha.

Mike A.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
I'm currently driving a 2010 MKVI GTI, sold my 2011 5.0 and will be ordering a 2015 5.0 soon. Even though my comparison isn't exactly what you are talking about it's pretty close. The GTI is a blast to drive, especially around town where the speeds are lower. I have APR's "Stage 1" software and intake which puts the power at ~270HP/295TQ. These cars respond very well to tuning but can get pretty pricey past the basic intake/exhaust/tune.

The usability of the 4dr hatch is awesome, if my choice was between at Golf R and EB that would be an easy choice....Golf R. Generally there aren't many awesome deals on new Golf R's. Wait a bit and you can easily get a great deal on a 5.0. I'm guessing based on past experience that a Golf R can be had for about the same price as a GT Premium (400A) w/ PP. The sticker on my 2011 was 36.6k and I paid $31k.

The Golf R is also only AWD when it needs it, driving on a nice windy back road above 40mph you are probably 100% fwd. But the Golf R is a lot more fun at lower speeds, pulling hard out of corners where the FWD GTI spins.

The Golf R is probably going to hold a lot more of its value in 4-6yrs compared to an EB Mustang too.

When it's all said and done you should buy a 5.0.... :)

robb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I just got out of a 2009 GTI and was considering the Golf R. It's hard to beat the Golf R because it does everything well. Seating room, performance, fuel economy, cargo space because of the hatch, interior quality, solid feel, all wheel drive, and the list goes on. I chose the Mustang GT because I wanted back into an American Muscle car with 435hp, rear wheel drive, lower repair costs (not that the VW is that bad), and the Mustang just looks damn sexy! I will miss the gas mileage of my GTI though. Hard decision.....it was for me.

JoeC1982

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ATS 2.0T
I'm surprised others are cross shopping these also. I was planning on getting a 2 door GTI with Performance Pack for the nice differential they have.

I would like to get a Golf R but i really want the 2 door body and the plaid seats, its a tough choice between the GTI for $28k and the base EB Mustang PP with Recaro's for about 30k. I have driven the GTI a couple times and really like it, i need to go check out a Mustang soon.
Sponsored