Sponsored

Golf R vs EB Mustang

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
If the Golf R comes in at around 35k, does that make anyone's decision on an Ecoboost harder?

I know the hatchback body style is not everyone's cup of tea, but 290hp, AWD, tunable, hatchback versatility, and decent gas mileage. Pretty compelling. And it should be a bit quicker, especially with the DSG.
Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
It's gotten nothing but rave reviews. Apparently it's way more adjustable and less pushy in corners than the outgoing R. The interior in the MkVII lineup is killer, too. The for and finish in the vanilla Golf I sat in was amazing for its price.

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
yea this is the struggle i am fighting.

am looking to just have one car in the garage to do what the two cars i have do now..

i think both the eb and the r will fit the bill. waiting to drive, and see how the aftermarket plays out.

funny that the cars are so different, yet the same..

have gotten used to the hatchback, would be hard to give up. but love rwd on the track, would be hard to give up.

beers

stilesg57

Threads
Reaction score
Eh, a little. I'm getting a little too old/professional for hatchbacks frankly, even really, really nice ones. If you're knocking on the door of 35+years old, sport coupes, sport sedans, and flat-out sports cars just fit better than tweaked hatches.

The EB Mustang just looks better, even if they perform a tad worse (although it will also be a tad cheaper -- the Golf R is not gonna come in around $31k which is about how my choice-spec'd EB would cost).

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
funny,

as a 54 year old i have to disagree, but dont have wife or kids. funny the R getting here late is giving me the time to watch all the new eb2.3 stuff unfold.

i think the R without roof and nav will come in at ~ 34k. but when it is going to get here is the big ? now..

beers

Sponsored

Shark77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MS3
I've been contemplating the GT, S3, and new R.

I owned a 2004 R32 bought it used with 7000 miles and sold it a 2 years later with more than 30,000 on the clock. Funny thing is that I made $3500 on it. Not that I would expect that again, but I do think the S3 and R will hold their value quite a bit better than the Mustang.

I'm leaning toward the S3 and buying a used 2015 Mustang in a few years. My reasoning is that S3 is a bit more practical and I expect to be able to get a better deal on a used 2015 Mustang in the future than a S3 or R.

tribaltek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 STi
If you're knocking on the door of 35+years old, sport coupes, sport sedans, and flat-out sports cars just fit better than tweaked hatches.
I'm 36 and have no age-related concerns driving my STi hatchback. :shrug:

zen25

Threads
Reaction score
Golf R is not in the same category as EB, it is above that. Golf R competes with S3, Focus RS and WRX STI. Stock GT should beat all the above around the track or drag, although AWD with lighter weight will keep it close.

EB might be compared with GTI and WRX.
WRX has bit faster time on stock than EB on a drag, again due to AWD. But MT has a GTI as faster around.

I like hatchbacks. They look cool and practical especially in urban areas and bigger cities.

OP
OP
Wildcat

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
Golf R is not in the same category as EB, it is above that. Golf R competes with S3, Focus RS and WRX STI. Stock GT should beat all the above around the track or drag, although AWD with lighter weight will keep it close.

EB might be compared with GTI and WRX.
WRX has bit faster time on stock than EB on a drag, again due to AWD. But MT has a GTI as faster around.

I like hatchbacks. They look cool and practical especially in urban areas and bigger cities.
It may be above it in performance, but a well equipped Ecoboost Premium can be anywhere between 32-37K depending on options, so in terms of price it's right there, hence my comparison. And an STI is 34-38K.

So if you're looking for a fast, sporty four cylinder turbo car and don't want the mileage penalty of a V8, you have two cars right there that are right in the same price range with comparable options and have superior performance.

stilesg57

Threads
Reaction score
I'm 36 and have no age-related concerns driving my STi hatchback. :shrug:

You don't, and I personally don't either. But we're car people, not "normal" people. And hatchbacks don't carry the same cachet and air of maturity that sports sedans, sports coupes, and sports cars do amongst "normal" people. If you work/hang with a crowd that feels otherwise, consider yourself lucky. In that respect, I'm not; no matter how much I'd rather have an STi (a bugeye Rex was my first ever new car, and overall still the best I've ever owned), when I run my boss out to a bar or between offices or back from the airport, he'd look down on a Suby hatchback compared to a BMW sedan. Kinda sucks, in a First World Problems sorta way, but that's just the way it is.

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
You don't, and I personally don't either. But we're car people, not "normal" people. And hatchbacks don't carry the same cachet and air of maturity that sports sedans, sports coupes, and sports cars do amongst "normal" people. If you work/hang with a crowd that feels otherwise, consider yourself lucky. In that respect, I'm not; no matter how much I'd rather have an STi (a bugeye Rex was my first ever new car, and overall still the best I've ever owned), when I run my boss out to a bar or between offices or back from the airport, he'd look down on a Suby hatchback compared to a BMW sedan. Kinda sucks, in a First World Problems sorta way, but that's just the way it is.
Why do you care? i work in a super corporate environment and had a fully built and mental 2011 STI. Big wing and all. Not a single fuk was given.

I'm 32 btw.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
You have a great opportunity here. Get the Suby, then when your boss looks down on you, you can explain how a raise would allow you to afford something more befitting your position!

It's a win/win!

-T

OP
OP
Wildcat

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus

What if you decided to buy a fuel efficient midsized sedan to save on gas? Would your boss look down on that too? Your boss sounds like he's a shallow individual, no offense.

I used to live in Chicago and saw plenty of people of all ages and plenty of professional types driving GTIs, Golfs, Minis, etc. It's a nice car if you live in a city.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
You are seriously not going to get the car you want because you are worried what your boss might think as you are taxiing him him around? Wow.

petraman

Now with more MPGs!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf
You are seriously not going to get the car you want because you are worried what your boss might think as you are taxiing him him around? Wow.
This forum is the first exposure I've had to car guys who buy cars not based on how they drive, but based on how they make them look, how they sound and their car's legacy. It's strange to me, and it's something I doubt I'll ever understand.
Sponsored