Sponsored

2015 Golf GTI vs. 2015 Mustang V6/EB

dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Conv V6 4.0; 2016 BMW 340i
I test drove a regular Golf and a Golf GTI today both in manual and I was impressed with this gen Golfs. I like the styling, and the interiors were really nice. Low end torque in the GTI was nice. Mustang and GTI are at similar price points with cloth seating. I don't need to talk too much about the mustang here, we all know how it drives. (also fun!)

What do y'all think? Anyone drive the new GTI more extensively with anything to add here? Some specs I brought together to compare:

Golf GTI 2.0T 2-Door:
- lighter
- economical, hatchback
- 210 hp @ 4500 rpm
- 258 lb/ft @ 1500 rpm
- 25 city / 34 hwy

Mustang V6/EB:
- sexier
- heavier
- V6: 300 hp @ 6500 rpm
- V6: 280 lb.-ft. @ 4000 rpm
- V6: 17 city / 28 hwy
- EB: 310 hp @ 5500 rpm
- EB: 320 lb.-ft. @ 3000 rpm
- EB: 22 city / 31 hwy
Sponsored

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
I am leaning toward the EB but either the GTI or Golf TDI are on my short list. The MKV TDI was honestly a blast to drive. Not fast but enough torque to be impressive for what it is.

dtraill27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ecoboost Premium
I had a 2010 GTI for a year before I traded it on the WRX. Was a really nice interior just found it boring to drive

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP
The GTI is in a class below the Mustang. Its like grade one and two. Everyone knows grade two is higher and better than one. Obvious the Mustang is a step above the GTI. But ultimately the decision is yours.

OP
OP
dude

dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Conv V6 4.0; 2016 BMW 340i
The GTI is in a class below the Mustang. Its like grade one and two. Everyone knows grade two is higher and better than one. Obvious the Mustang is a step above the GTI. But ultimately the decision is yours.
I'd still get the Mustang over the GTI... This is just a mind exercise. The Golf seems good to buy and drive it for a long time as a DD. Perfect for that.

Sponsored

Shawnski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whatever I need
An EB PP is impressive, and a lot of car the money. I just ordered one and IMO is the best value of the '15 Mustang line. Just as fun as a daily driver vs. the 5.0 GT but you can't beat it's stye and function for $28k.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I had a 2010 GTI for a year before I traded it on the WRX. Was a really nice interior just found it boring to drive
In addition to my 350Z I have a 2010 GTI as a DD. I agree about the boring part.

It is a great car overall, but there is almost no passion to it. It is a bit tossable, but understeers at the limit. The engine is very peppy but has quite a bit of lag and falls off at the top end. It makes great low end torque when pulling up a hill, but when going off-throttle to on-throttle the lag is very noticeable.

Overall, it is an excellent DD, but just does not make me feel passionate about the car.

I plan to get a GT350 to replace my Z and keep the GTI, but between the GTI and the EB Mustang, I'd go for the Mustang.

I know the new GTI is even better than the 2010 (which was always a comparison winner in its time, so it was very highly regarded), but I question the level of passion involved in the drive.

I've learned that I am almost totally emotional in my car purchases, and when I buy the "logical" choice, I am never quite as happy. That was the case with the GTI.

-T

Cj4428

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1 Recaros Magnetic, Ford PP3,Corsa catback
Test drove 2015 GTI with dual clutch auto,was impressed with performance,fit and finish of car ,but not really sold on hatchback looks. Gas mileage a plus.
Wife has 2013 Passat with V6 and DSG auto,blast to drive.Wish Ford could make a reliable
Dual clutch auto,would be awesome in a GT. But I'm still leaning towards a GT/PP

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
Well V6 is the only NA engine of your group there, so it's the only one making power above 5.5k rpm. Golf GTI's are notorious for reliability issues, so I wouldn't keep one for too long. But really isn't the point of getting a hatch the boot? That's a car you can get groceries and smile while doing it.

loonysup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium ingot silver w/ saddle leather
I was literally down to the wire deciding between the Ecoboost Mustang and a 6speed GTI Autobahn. I test drove the GTI 3 times - two DSG and one manual. Fun car and tight as hell. In the end it came down to looks more than anything. Park the GTI in the supermarket parking lot and it blends right.

The only other big plus on the GTI was the utility of 4 doors and a usable back seat, but my nine year old will squeeze himself in the back seat for a chance to ride in the "cool" car.

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I traded a 13 Focus ST for the EB Mustang. The Focus is faster and handles better than the GTI. The EB is faster than my ST when it was stock and with the Performance Package it handles as well.

I really liked the ST but I am happier driving the Mustang.

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
Well V6 is the only NA engine of your group there, so it's the only one making power above 5.5k rpm. Golf GTI's are notorious for reliability issues, so I wouldn't keep one for too long. But really isn't the point of getting a hatch the boot? That's a car you can get groceries and smile while doing it.
funny,

i have a 12 gti with the dsg.. 30k miles, 3 oil changes 1 bulb replacement..

also have a rx8 that i use as a track car. it has all the handling of the mustang maybe more, but is 400 lbs lighter, but also down about 100 ft lbs of tq..

i have been wanting to just have one car.. well i thought it was down to the new gti pp, or the ecoboost pp.

now i am thinking golf R or gt350..

all ways i win, even if i stay were i am.. the gti is a great car, if you think it is boring you have not driven it hard enough.. btw, stability control can now be defeated..

love the room of the inside of the gti, and the usability of the hatch.. have not driven a mustang and just stuck my head in one. seemed like the inside is really small for such a large car..

it is going to be a hard choice for me.. the idea of using anything other than rwd for track use weirds me out..

i really think it comes down to passion vs needs. no way to lose..

beers

Davisflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mini Cooper S JCW
Recently test drove 2015 GTI's with manual and DSG. Nice cars, but a bit boring to drive (at least compared to my 06 Mini Cooper S JCW), felt very sterile. Test drove 2015 Mustangs, each variety with each transmission. Personally felt that even base V6 was more fun to drive than GTI and similarly priced. I guess for me it would come down to what's more important, a usable back seat and mpg or fun to drive and better looks.....

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
My wife drives a '11 Tiguan 4-Motion (GTI on stilts), and the comments on reliability, or lack thereof, do not apply. Just under 50K on it, and nothing but oil changes and a set of tires. And still as rock solid and rattle free as the day we bought it. Damn fun to drive in its own right, I can only imagine what the GTI PP is like.

I am hoping my new GT has anywhere near the build quality of that VW.....
Sponsored