Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Driving a VW Golf is boring.

No matter what you do with it, whether it's an R or an R that's been completely modified, it remains a bourgeois compact car.
The R model only exists so that dad gets moist eyes when he orders his Golf station wagon for the family.

If you dream of an allotment with pottery dwarf figures, you have sweaty hands on Sundays when you can't mow the lawn, and your life is otherwise rather linear, go for it!

Otherwise, stick with what you have, or look for something else as irrational as the Mustang, but just don't make the mistake of becoming a Golf driver.

Life is really too short for boring cars, the Golf is the most boring of all cars (probably more so over here than in the US).

šŸ˜œ

PS:
Watch that video.
Yes, it's fast, yes, it's racy, but it's still a bourgeois box.
If you don't think every second that you can do much more with a Mustang and the same effort in modding, then maybe the Golf R is for you.

PPS:
The worst part is that they are only making a 5-door now, the 3-door was at least a micron irrational.
To each their own but I like the car for the reasons you don't.
I like that it looks mature and sensible but you can still drive it like a dumbass.

Boring cars can still be driven in a fun way. My commuter right now is a 2001 Toyota Avalon.....there is absolutely nothing about that car that is fun or fast or sexy but I do genuinely enjoy driving the piss out of it. I'm hitting the bump stops in that car daily.
Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Dollar for Dollar, go with an RS3, not the Golf

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I saw a MK8 Golf R earlier this week and was underwhelmed. I know they arenā€™t flashy, but it just looked too much like a regular GTI and I have a keen eye. The tires looked skinny from behind and it had more ground clearance than I remembered Golf R having. At least previous gen Rs looked a little different from the GTI.

They are quick 0-60, and practical. I wouldnā€™t fault someone for buying one, but I donā€™t think I could trade a Mach 1 for a Golf R if it was me.

OP
OP
superspartan

superspartan

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hidevolution.com
First Name
Spartan
Vehicle(s)
2023 Nissan Z
I saw a MK8 Golf R earlier this week and was underwhelmed. I know they arenā€™t flashy, but it just looked too much like a regular GTI and I have a keen eye. The tires looked skinny from behind and it had more ground clearance than I remembered Golf R having. At least previous gen Rs looked a little different from the GTI.

They are quick 0-60, and practical. I wouldnā€™t fault someone for buying one, but I donā€™t think I could trade a Mach 1 for a Golf R if it was me.
thanks all for the replies. After reading your replies, and after the dealer who had a used 2023 Golf R driven 3000 miles told me that I need to pay 10K on top of trading my 2021 Mach 1 which has 10000 miles, I'm like no thanks! I was only considering it if it was a head to head swap without paying anything and still had doubts about my decision.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
NICE!! Glad you didn't go for the Box on wheels without the V8 glories sound LOL

Sponsored

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Huge Golf R fan here. They are amazing daily drivers and respond great to modifications. They can really surprise you.

However, they are not really comparable to a Mach 1 in most areas. Both are wonderful cars but aim for different targets.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
thanks all for the replies. After reading your replies, and after the dealer who had a used 2023 Golf R driven 3000 miles told me that I need to pay 10K on top of trading my 2021 Mach 1 which has 10000 miles, I'm like no thanks! I was only considering it if it was a head to head swap without paying anything and still had doubts about my decision.
Wise decision. Now put a supercharger on it, and annihilate every VW on the road.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
It's really too bad that there's no wagon version of the Golf R....

ClayDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LB 2018 GT350
FWIW. I've been a Mustang, Golf, Gti guy for over 20 years. I've had both and at the same time, past R versions of the Golf/Gti and non R versions. They are impressive hatchbacks in stock form, definitely with a tune etc etc etc. If I'm not in a Mustang, I'll be in a DUB. The current MK8 Golf R seems to be very impressive out of the box, have not driven one though, heard the same about the non R as well. I personally don't worry about user, infotainment issues with any platform. You will adapt to using it at some point, and not think twice about it. I've considered, in the recent past, on getting in an MK8 R, but in my neck of the woods all the stealerships thinks it's cool to have an ADM attached, I'll never support that garbage on any vehicle, no matter how bad I want it. I think you'll be pleased either way you go, they are two totally different animals and the MK8 will more than likely be quicker of the line than the Stang. Good Luck!

Sponsored

DadzMach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
Driving a VW Golf is boring.

No matter what you do with it, whether it's an R or an R that's been completely modified, it remains a bourgeois compact car.
The R model only exists so that dad gets moist eyes when he orders his Golf station wagon for the family.

If you dream of an allotment with pottery dwarf figures, you have sweaty hands on Sundays when you can't mow the lawn, and your life is otherwise rather linear, go for it!

Otherwise, stick with what you have, or look for something else as irrational as the Mustang, but just don't make the mistake of becoming a Golf driver.

Life is really too short for boring cars, the Golf is the most boring of all cars (probably more so over here than in the US).

šŸ˜œ

PS:
Watch that video.
Yes, it's fast, yes, it's racy, but it's still a bourgeois box.
If you don't think every second that you can do much more with a Mustang and the same effort in modding, then maybe the Golf R is for you.

PPS:
The worst part is that they are only making a 5-door now, the 3-door was at least a micron irrational.
This^^^^. I had a Golf R, manual. First of all you are going to have a difficult time finding a Dealer willing to give you any kind of discount and probably have an ADM, unless you know someone. They are not super common and each Dealer gets a limited amount. I paid invoice for mine which was great but it still wasnā€™t worth it, imo. As someone else said above, anytime you move your hands near the radio or anything the car will pick it up and change functions/settings, itā€™s super irritating. You will also NEVER have as much fun with the VW compared to a Mach, you just canā€™t even compare them because they are such different cars meant for different things. Not to mention VWā€™s in general have electrical issues, warranty is voided if you look at it the wrong way and they just donā€™t look or feel ā€œspecialā€. I got so bored of driving mine, even after upgrading the turbo and making it faster. Lastly, the AWD is really for better handling/traction in the rain and dry. It doesnā€™t help in the snow unless you put snow tires on it, which you can do with the Mach and it will do okay.

DadzMach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
And it's really too bad that there's no shooting break version of the 6th gen Mustang... aside from artist illustrations.
IMG_1991.jpeg
I would drive that in a heartbeat! I had a CTS-V wagon with a 6 speed and that was a bad ass, fun to drive car.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I was a total VW nerd for many years, had a MKV R32 Golf and loved it. Mainly for the glorious VR6 engine sound. If I wanted both a practical but quick and fun daily driver, the Golf R would be my choice. But for pure balls out fun, Mach 1 all day long. My GT PP with 10R80 is hella fun, and a reasonably fun road trip car.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I always liked the VW brand. I just wish you could get more for your money. I feel like a compact four cylinder car with a turbo should be in the low 30s or high 20s, not mid 40s. I guess that's why I bought a Fiesta ST instead. I know it doesn't really compare to a Golf R, but for 1/3 of the price I don't think it has to.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Iā€™m sorry. To me, VW Golf=@hitbox. Doesnā€™t matter wtf they put on it or what it does. Fast or not, Itā€™s still a wiener mobile. All I can think of is the @sshats that drive those thingā€™s dangerously weaving in and out of traffic with their heads bobbing to and fro from the apparently brutal suspension. I donā€™t think itā€™s a good look but to each his own. :like:
Sponsored