Sponsored

Mustang Mach 1 vs Golf R MK8?

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I always liked the VW brand. I just wish you could get more for your money. I feel like a compact four cylinder car with a turbo should be in the low 30s or high 20s, not mid 40s. I guess that's why I bought a Fiesta ST instead. I know it doesn't really compare to a Golf R, but for 1/3 of the price I don't think it has to.
Welcome to the 90s Mr Banks!
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I feel like a compact four cylinder car with a turbo should be in the low 30s or high 20s, not mid 40s
My 2019 Rabbit edition S (had the 'R's brakes, wheel size and most importantly the Diff) was 33K MSRP, got it for just under 30+TTL. They are a hoot and a holler to drive, wringing it's little neck. The price of the 'R' is totally not defensible. Yeah so it was assembled in Germany - big woop. The Mexican version is damn good and a Stage 1 tune (not even a downpipe) equalizes the situation.

I could throw all manner of boxes, tires, 3 more people in the car without batting an eye. can't do any of that with a Mustang unless you ferry about 12yr olds or amputees and your boxes are 1.5ft^3, not 3 and 4 cube.

VW should bring back the R32 engine (shallow angle, almost inline 6)
The GTI is a total sleeper vs teh Mustang that just shouts look at me, I"m fast. I owned the GT, Eco and GTI all at the same time. The funnest by far was the GTI on regular streets and legal-speed driving. Yeah the GT has more oomph, but you get all of 3 seconds and it's over. Pointless.

I will buy a GTI again and fairly soon, I have 2 sets of wider wheels and rubber on the shelf. But I won't be buying a Gen8 till they repent of their haptic bull-spit. Knobs and switches people!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My 2019 Rabbit edition S (had the 'R's brakes, wheel size and most importantly the Diff) was 33K MSRP, got it for just under 30+TTL. They are a hoot and a holler to drive, wringing it's little neck. The price of the 'R' is totally not defensible. Yeah so it was assembled in Germany - big woop. The Mexican version is damn good and a Stage 1 tune (not even a downpipe) equalizes the situation.
In 2019 the base Mustang GT MSRP was $35k. I can tell we have very different priorities, because a car with a V8 for $35K makes sense to me, but a 4 cylinder front wheel drive car doesn't.

Now, I did pay about $31k for a 4 cylinder car, but it's RWD and 2800 lbs. Not 3,400 lbs like the porky Golf R. I agree with you that the Rabbit is a better choice based on what you are saying. I personally have never driven one due to their cost I knew I wouldn't buy so I never wanted to waste the sales person's time. So not what I would pick, but better than the Golf R.

I could throw all manner of boxes, tires, 3 more people in the car without batting an eye. can't do any of that with a Mustang unless you ferry about 12yr olds or amputees and your boxes are 1.5ft^3, not 3 and 4 cube.
I use my pickup when I need to move larger stuff like 8 foot sheets of plywood. It's not a consideration for me with a car. But I could see it's possible to have things that won't fit in a Mustang but do in a larger hatchback vehicle like the Golf. My FiST was tiny and very little fit in it, but that was fine with me.

VW should bring back the R32 engine (shallow angle, almost inline 6)
The GTI is a total sleeper vs teh Mustang that just shouts look at me, I"m fast. I owned the GT, Eco and GTI all at the same time. The funnest by far was the GTI on regular streets and legal-speed driving. Yeah the GT has more oomph, but you get all of 3 seconds and it's over. Pointless.
Yes the GTI is a sleeper. And it runs out of oomph very fast on track. I agree you won't get everything the Mustang is capable of on the street. For the same money.

I will buy a GTI again and fairly soon, I have 2 sets of wider wheels and rubber on the shelf. But I won't be buying a Gen8 till they repent of their haptic bull-spit. Knobs and switches people!
I agree and it's part of why the latest Mustang interests me less.

CBETPTA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Had a 2016 GTI with DSG for a daily driver and now a ‘21 6 speed GTfor a weekend ride. Both were/are lots of fun. Tough call between the two, but each serve(d) their purpose favorably
Sponsored