Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hidevolution.com
First Name
Spartan
Vehicle(s)
2023 Nissan Z
I have a Mustang Mach 1 and I love it. I was just wondering how is the new Golf R MK8 compared to it? Specifically, in terms of 0-60 MPH runs and handling? How about the interior?

Has anyone driven one? Thoughts? Am I crazy to think of swelling my Mach 1 and going for a Golf R?

Plus points I am seeing about the Golf R is obviously way better fuel economy and better interior quality. Also part of me thinks that it would be faster in the 0-60 run thanks to its AWD?
Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Ive driven the Golf R. It is faster (if you get the DSG transmission) 0-60 but beyond that, the MACH 1 will walk away from it. They are totally different cars but one thing I couldn't get over in the Golf is the stupid haptic touch functions for literally everything. Any sort of spirited driving and you are inadvertently pushing buttons on the steering wheel. All of the HVAC controls, drive modes, etc. are all burried in the infotainment. The cost of the Golf R is appealing, and the EA888 motor is very capable but to me there is nothing like the sound of the MACH1, the way it drives, and the way it looks. Rear drive and a manual transmission is the only way to go for me. The Golf certainly is more capable as an all around daily driver

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Ive driven the Golf R. It is faster (if you get the DSG transmission) 0-60 but beyond that, the MACH 1 will walk away from it. They are totally different cars but one thing I couldn't get over in the Golf is the stupid haptic touch functions for literally everything. Any sort of spirited driving and you are inadvertently pushing buttons on the steering wheel. All of the HVAC controls, drive modes, etc. are all burried in the infotainment. The cost of the Golf R is appealing, and the EA888 motor is very capable but to me there is nothing like the sound of the MACH1, the way it drives, and the way it looks. Rear drive and a manual transmission is the only way to go for me. The Golf certainly is more capable as an all around daily driver
Can a golf R really do 0-60 faster than 3.8?!

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Can a golf R really do 0-60 faster than 3.8?!
The thing is it can consistently do it, whereas the Mustang cannot. Actually achieving 3.8 in the Mustang on the street is not so easy. In the VW, Just mash the pedal and go. Throw a tune and intake/downpipe on it and it is quite impressive.

Sponsored

OP
OP
superspartan

superspartan

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hidevolution.com
First Name
Spartan
Vehicle(s)
2023 Nissan Z
right, I know people will attack me for saying this and I used to be one of them, but the fuel is killing me, literally any ride for me be it going to the mall, restaurant, cafe, means 40 USD of fuel for one 30-50 kms trip it's killing me and I also do care about the 0-60 acceleration. I know V8 sounds much better but I was hoping the Akrapovic Exhaust that comes with them is also good

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
The thing is it can consistently do it, whereas the Mustang cannot. Actually achieving 3.8 in the Mustang on the street is not so easy. In the VW, Just mash the pedal and go. Throw a tune and intake/downpipe on it and it is quite impressive.
I find it quite easy to repeat my 0-60 times. I average 3.9 but gotten to 3.8 several times. Even 3.7 downhill 🤫. I also think the mustang would still beat a golf R if you do the same mods to it. But the beauty of the Golf R is the fact it's nearly as quick as the mustang but can still go out and get 35 mpg on the highway.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
I find it quite easy to repeat my 0-60 times. I average 3.9 but gotten to 3.8 several times. Even 3.7 downhill 🤫. I also think the mustang would still beat a golf R if you do the same mods to it. But the beauty of the Golf R is the fact it's nearly as quick as the mustang but can still go out and get 35 mpg on the highway.
and costs 10-20k less depending on options

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
You're probably comparing it to a manual Mach1? C&D has the 10R80 Mach at 3.8 while the DSG Golf R at 3.9.
I was refering to the auto Mustang. I belive the manual is 4.1-4.2 ish. Maybe the Mustang with the Cup 2's on it can achieve 3.8. Isn't C&D testing on a closed track to get these numbers?

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
I was refering to the auto Mustang. I belive the manual is 4.1-4.2 ish. Maybe the Mustang with the Cup 2's on it can achieve 3.8. Isn't C&D testing on a closed track to get these numbers?
Motor trend has the manual at 4.4. I have the MPS4S on my 10 speed GT. I have no issues launching it hard on many different surface types. I believe most companies test on closed tracks for insurance purposes and being "legal" and all that.

Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Motor trend has the manual at 4.4. I have the MPS4S on my 10 speed GT. I have no issues launching it hard on many different surface types. I believe most companies test on closed tracks for insurance purposes and being "legal" and all that.
No wonder my car feels so slow. The only logical solution is a blower

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I think the Golf R would make for a better daily driver than any Mustang. Smaller, better mpg, more utility; can't go wrong. I for one, definitely would not blame you for switching.

I'd get one myself but the wife says we need a truck and no way I could swing a Golf, a truck, and the Mustang

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
No wonder my car feels so slow. The only logical solution is a blower
Also I see your based in Colorado! Beautiful state, I plan on living there at some point in my life.

Being that your quite literally a mile higher in elevation than I am, this is more than likely the cause for it being difficult for you to repeat the 0-60 times! Cheers!

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Driving a VW Golf is boring.

No matter what you do with it, whether it's an R or an R that's been completely modified, it remains a bourgeois compact car.
The R model only exists so that dad gets moist eyes when he orders his Golf station wagon for the family.

If you dream of an allotment with pottery dwarf figures, you have sweaty hands on Sundays when you can't mow the lawn, and your life is otherwise rather linear, go for it!

Otherwise, stick with what you have, or look for something else as irrational as the Mustang, but just don't make the mistake of becoming a Golf driver.

Life is really too short for boring cars, the Golf is the most boring of all cars (probably more so over here than in the US).

😜

PS:
Watch that video.
Yes, it's fast, yes, it's racy, but it's still a bourgeois box.
If you don't think every second that you can do much more with a Mustang and the same effort in modding, then maybe the Golf R is for you.

PPS:
The worst part is that they are only making a 5-door now, the 3-door was at least a micron irrational.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Also I see your based in Colorado! Beautiful state, I plan on living there at some point in my life.

Being that your quite literally a mile higher in elevation than I am, this is more than likely the cause for it being difficult for you to repeat the 0-60 times! Cheers!
For sure that. Everything is slow up here, except Tesla's
Sponsored