Getrag MT82

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Keep in mind I am not trying to indicate your particular transmission didn't have an issue. I quoted it as a relevant segment into my points.

The TR6060 is the OEM version of the T56 Magnum. They are very similar. The difference is the TR6060 has, mixed into it, various minor OEM tweaks for their criteria. The TR6060 came out to replace the T56 (the original transmission created under Borg Warner for the Viper), if I am not mistake, in debut with the 2007 GT500 in fact... One of the most significant changes between the T56 and TR6060 is a revision of the synchros and gears to facilitate more friendly (smoother) shifting in daily driving.

Simply taking a look back at the part number changes and TSBs/ISMs for the GT500 clutch and shifter, 2007-2014, it is pretty clear to see what I am mentioning. Even the [good] tech articles on the 2013-14 GT500 mention these topics.
The major difference in the T56 and the TR6060, above all else and the big reason for the problems in the 1-2 shift is the remote shifter location on the TR6060 vs the direct mounting in the T56. The huge amount of torque the engine puts out, places a bit of twisting on the engine which makes the remote shifter not inline with the gate on the transmission. It only takes a few degrees to create an issue.
Sponsored

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
The major difference in the T56 and the TR6060, above all else and the big reason for the problems in the 1-2 shift is the remote shifter location on the TR6060 vs the direct mounting in the T56. The huge amount of torque the engine puts out, places a bit of twisting on the engine which makes the remote shifter not inline with the gate on the transmission. It only takes a few degrees to create an issue.
Remote shifter is a major potential issue with manual applications of current - most get it wrong, few get it right. Seems most companies compensate towards NVH vs functionality. The good ones allow multi-axis movement.

Trap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302
I just sold my 2020 GT with PP1 and 6 speed manual and replaced it with a 2013 Boss 302.

I will say the shifting is notcher in the Boss, but it does seem to handle the shifts ok. The lower gearing in the Older MT is way nicer drive with . The Boss may have a little less power, but it feels every bit as quick, due to the tighter gearing.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The Boss is a very nice car. I saw this one which was heavily modified at my local drag strip. Very clean and subtle, but also very quick too.

IMG_5935.png

SHOdaddy68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium w/Recaro
I have 75k on my 2015 PP. I have an Excedy clutch with MGW shifter. Have had many an issue with the MT82 and had to have it re-built at an independent shop after multiple dealers told me there wasn't a problem. (broken parts and synchros)

After the re-build it was better but still really notchy when cold. I just learned to deal with it and moved on. That is until it became more and more difficult to start the car without almost putting the clutch pedal through the floorpan. That's when I found all the threads about cracking clutch pedal pivots. I looked at mine and it was really bad.

After correcting the cracked pedal pivot (PITA BTW) 95% of my trans issues were gone! It shifts smooth and is only slightly notchy when cold.

Was it the Clutch pedal pivot the whole time??

Sponsored

Doug V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
So I went out this morning in search of issues when shifting near redline from 1-2 and 2-3. I tried the experiment 6 times. 3 times in Sport+ mode and 3 times in Track mode. Didn't have any issues. No lockout from 2-3, no problem slamming into gear from 1-2. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...
Have you had problems with your transmission? If you don't, then you won't. It doesn't happen in all the transmissions, but it will always happen in the few who have problems. They have made several revisions to the transmission since the beginning. The problem is becoming less of an issue but is not entirely gone.

OP
OP

loucas-2021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP Grabber Yellow
Have you had problems with your transmission? If you don't, then you won't. It doesn't happen in all the transmissions, but it will always happen in the few who have problems. They have made several revisions to the transmission since the beginning. The problem is becoming less of an issue but is not entirely gone.
No problems, and I'm grateful for that, seeing as there are so many who are having issues or had issues and have fixed them. In fact, I haven't had any issues with the car. Period. Fingers crossed. But anyway, my original post was motivated by reading posts on this forum talking about how the MT-82 is such a POS. Not my experience. Moreover, if you follow the issues that people are having over in 7G, makes me think I got pretty lucky with my car. I hope it stays that way.

jmagnus87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Magnus
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Comp Orange '22 Chevy Silverado
thread-jacking here kinda, anyone experience being locked out of first or reverse, car on, car off, clutch in, clutch out, new clutch/pilot/fluid, couldn't get out of my garage without rolling forward in 3rd cuz 1st and 2nd were locked out too. maybe broken MT82? cars a 15
Sponsored