bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I went out for a test drive this morning. WOT, shifting as fast as I could, but couldn't repro the issues. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have this installed. I'm running the performance tune. If I recall correctly, there is another member here who's got the same setup and if I remember correctly, he mentioned that after installing the kit the shift from 1 to 2 felt easier/smoother.
I’m sure the lockouts start happening when trans is hot. We were on a 4th of july drag a few years ago with other american cars only a few MT82 cars we were doing pulls first 1-2 pulls everything was fine for everyone then 3rd or so pull all MT82’s started locking us out of 3rd. Here in Europe we learn how to drive on a manual car so all of us have an Idea how to drive and on unprepared surface all of us were doing low 13’s high 12’s. And this was happening on both stock engine cars as well as heavy tuned ones. So it’s I guess a characteristic of the MT82 when hot or when chassis is flexing.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I’ve hot lapped mine on several occasions and have not had one lock-out in the 5 1/2 years I’ve owned it. I shift at 7K and think I shift pretty quickly. But, I’ve always owned at least one manual transmission car now for over 40 years. Maybe we should let Grumpy give it a try. 😉

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe we should let Grumpy give it a try.
The mile long throw on that thing!! People don't understand when you have long travel or slip, the amount of abuse or rushing is considerable compared to right tolerance and short working throws.

The 2-3 lockout I strongly suspect has to do with malfunction in the clutch and absolutely nothing to do with the trans. It doesn't matter how good your trans is if the shafts are under load. It simply won't move.

JFBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I’m sure the lockouts start happening when trans is hot. We were on a 4th of july drag a few years ago with other american cars only a few MT82 cars we were doing pulls first 1-2 pulls everything was fine for everyone then 3rd or so pull all MT82’s started locking us out of 3rd. Here in Europe we learn how to drive on a manual car so all of us have an Idea how to drive and on unprepared surface all of us were doing low 13’s high 12’s. And this was happening on both stock engine cars as well as heavy tuned ones. So it’s I guess a characteristic of the MT82 when hot or when chassis is flexing.
Don’t see how being in Europe makes any difference.

Regardless, it should be noted that your car isn’t running the later D4 version like many in this are.

Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
i guess its disclaimer time: i take my time when i shift so you guys out here 2f2f shifting all the time are different lol

Sponsored

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
I had a GT500 with a Tremec TR6060. I HATED it. I had many issues with 1-2 lockout. My MT82 D4 is much better. Silky smooth. Like daSnake said, we will see how it likes 800+whp and 650ish torque here in the near future. I have a Steeda Tri-ax and Vengeance stage 2 clutch getting ready to go on as well.
The lockout issues in the S197 GT500 TR6060 was largely #1 the OEM clutch and #2 the OEM shifter.

The same goes for the MT82 when it first came out in 2011 for the Mustang - the clutch and the shifter.

The OEM Ford clutches lacked clutch reserve and were susceptible to high-RPM, fast-acceleration forces ending up not fully disengaging the clutch.

Specifically to the MT82, the problem with that transmission, from Day 1, is that it was never originally designed for a sports car application, it was cost-cut from its original quality of manufacturing level and was never designed for the type of use US drivers utilize their transmissions. It was a German-designed transmission, for European trucks and European operators; the case was design for high-efficiency in minimizing splash lube and oil capacity (re: parasitic losses), supporting slow-shifting at low-RPMs and gradual shock loads. It was adopted and modified for the Mustang and cost-cut for mass-production in China. This is the uphill battle Ford created for themselves adopting this unit...

In the S197 days, Ford improved the transmission, between 2011 and 2013, in changing to a fluid more friendly to the synchro design they chose, a minor update to some of the synchros, a slightly better gear coating/coating process and tightening the quality in production.

Going to the S550.1, Ford significantly improved all the synchros, completely revised the shifter system, made some clutch improvements and further tightened the quality control.

For the S550.2, the transmission underwent a significant update in that the gearset design was completely changed, the synchros were improved, the entire internal shifting mechanisms were changed and there were minor changes to the shifter and clutch.

It's not a bad transmission. It has it's place. It has always been a smooth-shifting, fun transmission to play with but it has never been a robust transmission. It can't be as it is limited by the original design of it; it's limited by the case design and layout of the gearset in that case design. It can be used in racing scenarios, but it is not a wise choice without; requiring fairly significant investment to keep it alive relatively short term in that setting (i.e. back in Boss 302S/R development, it was attempted but the effort was ditched in the rational sense of durability for race cars).

Last edited:

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got a quick slightly off topic question.

Since the easiest comparison here is MT82 versus TR-3160 does the Mach1 & Dark Horse use the same clutch as a GT or the GT350?
This is actually an interesting question. The GT350 has a different clutch than the GT. The GT, Bullitt and Mach 1 seem to have the same clutch. Would be nice to have a confirmation on what the Bullitt, Mach 1 and GT have from the factory.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The lockout issues in the S197 GT500 TR6060 was largely #1 the OEM clutch and #2 the OEM shifter.
I had 1st a Barton shifter then I went to an MGW shifter and with both I had a twin disc McLeod RXT, and it still would lockout a bunch, even after I got a Blowfish transmission brace.
I don't doubt that the TR6060 is much more stout than the MT82, but the MT82d4 is a far better transmission to shift than the TR6060. If I had not totaled that car, it would have gotten a T56 Magnum as an upgrade.

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
Owned a D4 in a 480hp '19, loaded 'Litt (which I blew up 1 eng in, under warranty).

It's Not our 1st, or 2nd choice, in a trans. We moved on to a DCT equipped Shelby. That said, It will -however- go in gear w/o lockout while being driven hard.

Drive it enuff miles & ya learn that its really about how you drive it. The D4 will do the wrk in its own way, which may not be our own way, for many of us.

Now, w/all that drivel said ^^^^^

If your a non HP Mach 1 owner, here is an example of what your car can do, as a badged up& sticked up Bullitt. Your Tremec & 'supposedly improved magride', is not likely that outstanding 🤔 as constantly argued on this forum.

What we have below;
M2 Competition Bmw (20%+ higher MSRP) vs the Ford S550 Bullitt Mustang w/D4.

Both driven w/spirit, head to head. Even if you don't use translation, or speak French... You can visually tell (w/o question) that McQueen himself, would approve of his 50th yr anniversary namesake.
(posted this vid once before awhile bk, but the s550 driving portion is worth the watch)

So, can MT82D4 'get it done' under duress??
You all decide for yourselves.

Regardless of your own personal beliefs, the driving skills below do communicate the Bullitt's, "American ways", w/o translation.

He's to chickenchit (politically correct) to pick the winner overall, (prolly bimmer) but the Ole Yankee Muscle did prevailed on the 🕑. This track test probably breaks the 💔's of turbo 6cyl German car fans out there, I suspect.

The 'Litts transmission thou, is Gestapo engineering at its heart, if thats any conciliation??

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had 1st a Barton shifter then I went to an MGW shifter and with both I had a twin disc McLeod RXT, and it still would lockout a bunch, even after I got a Blowfish transmission brace.
I don't doubt that the TR6060 is much more stout than the MT82, but the MT82d4 is a far better transmission to shift than the TR6060. If I had not totaled that car, it would have gotten a T56 Magnum as an upgrade.
Keep in mind I am not trying to indicate your particular transmission didn't have an issue. I quoted it as a relevant segment into my points.

The TR6060 is the OEM version of the T56 Magnum. They are very similar. The difference is the TR6060 has, mixed into it, various minor OEM tweaks for their criteria. The TR6060 came out to replace the T56 (the original transmission created under Borg Warner for the Viper), if I am not mistake, in debut with the 2007 GT500 in fact... One of the most significant changes between the T56 and TR6060 is a revision of the synchros and gears to facilitate more friendly (smoother) shifting in daily driving.

Simply taking a look back at the part number changes and TSBs/ISMs for the GT500 clutch and shifter, 2007-2014, it is pretty clear to see what I am mentioning. Even the [good] tech articles on the 2013-14 GT500 mention these topics.
Sponsored