Getrag MT82

loucas-2021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP Grabber Yellow
I've read a lot of negative comments regarding the MT82 and was wondering was sort of issues people are running into with these, since I have a 2021 GT fitted with this transmission and I haven't found anything wrong with it. I've driven a lot of different cars, including Corvettes, Porsches and BMWs, all with manual transmissions and honestly I would rate my MT82 as being on par with some of these. I haven't driven the Tremec, so maybe it's way better. I don't know.
Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I've read a lot of negative comments regarding the MT82 and was wondering was sort of issues people are running into with these, since I have a 2021 GT fitted with this transmission and I haven't found anything wrong with it. I've driven a lot of different cars, including Corvettes, Porsches and BMWs, all with manual transmissions and honestly I would rate my MT82 as being on par with some of these. I haven't driven the Tremec, so maybe it's way better. I don't know.
The MT-82 has been updated over the years resulting in a good transmission.
The real problem IMO is the body mounted shifter. Installing a trans mounted shifter or a Full Tilt Boogie OEM shifter mount and magically the shifting gates improve dramatically. Add a fluid change to Motul Multi-DCTF and youā€™ll forget about all the Internet MT-82 complaints.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
the D4 seems to have ironed out all the issues, though it has long gears.

I really like mine, as far as stock transmissions go I think the shift feel is nearly perfect. Iā€™m not in any rush to upgrade it. If it breaks Iā€™ll just fix it, same as any other car.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The 2015-2017 MT82 is pretty good, IMO. The recent MT82 is geared for fuel economy or track use rather than fun street driving, so I have avoided them. I owned a GT350 with similar gearing in the Tremec, and while I liked the car, I think it could have been a lot more fun on the street with a different transmission gear set. Much as I like going to the track, it's a small percentage of my cars' usage. I also don't track my car to win prizes, but rather just for the fun of it. So, to me, street fun is a higher priority over having gearing that minimizes shifting on a roadcourse.

Edit: as far as being functional I think the MT82 post 2015 is pretty good. I didn't think the Tremec in my GT350 was better as far as shift quality and daily use goes. To me the two were similar in street use. The Tremec is better for high RPM shifts and functions great when it's hot on track, though.

Last edited:
OP
OP

loucas-2021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
Glad to hear that there are other folks here who find the MT82 to be a good transmission. I've seen so many complaints about it that I had to ask.:thumbsup:

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
My 2020 MT-82 D4 is absolutely fanbleedingtastic. It's the best manual gearbox I've ever seen (and I've seen quite a few). Smooth as silk in any gear, at any rpm, at any temperature. I love it to bits, especially after having mated it with Steeda's short-throw shifter.
But apparently it wasn't always like this. It took many revisions over many years to get there. Most of the negative comments are from people who owned its earlier incarnations. A bad reputation is easy to acquire and incredibly hard to shake off.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I've had no problems with mine, but occasional 2->3 lockouts that resolved with: MGW shifter, Motul DCTF, and McLeod RST Clutch. These upgrades really improve the driving experience.

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
ZERO. i love it. people can complain about the gearing but it does everything i ask, feels nice, and i do not baby my car at all. 7300miles.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I like mine, better than all my past GTs/Cobras. I did a trans mount swap and short throw shifter and havenā€™t had any issues so far. See how long it lasts at around 800whp though. šŸ™‚

OP
OP

loucas-2021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
I like mine, better than all my past GTs/Cobras. I did a trans mount swap and short throw shifter and havenā€™t had any issues so far. See how long it lasts at around 800whp though. šŸ™‚
That's one thing I been wondering about is that if I were to put the M-6066-M8 kit would the transmission hold up??

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
That's one thing I been wondering about is that if I were to put the M-6066-M8 kit would the transmission hold up??
Getrag rates their transmission by GVWR. The MT-82 is used in many fleet type vehicles, trucks buses you name it. If memory serves me correctly I believe the MT-82 is rated at 750 foot pounds @ 8000 GVWR. I havenā€™t taken the time to figure out the conversion to a 3,700 GVWR Mustang.
The transmission isnā€™t as much of a concern if shifted properly vs. the OEM GT 5.0 clutch assembly holding the added power.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I really enjoy mine. The long gearing is the only real negative, but even that isn't entirely negative because it means you can rip up to highway speeds in 2nd hearing the engine's full song.

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
Mine has been great. In January its a little notchy first thing in the morning, but after five minutes it is all warmed up and perfect.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I had a GT500 with a Tremec TR6060. I HATED it. I had many issues with 1-2 lockout. My MT82 D4 is much better. Silky smooth. Like daSnake said, we will see how it likes 800+whp and 650ish torque here in the near future. I have a Steeda Tri-ax and Vengeance stage 2 clutch getting ready to go on as well.

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT
What the hell is going on with these comments?

The MT-82 in the mustang is definitely better today than in 2012. But it isn't a "great" or even "good" transmission the last few years.

Ford cheaped out in this regard. The MT-82 is usable but that's about the best I can say about it. People that claim otherwise haven't really had much experience outside of the S550 is all I can say.

Have to add that the transmission isn't geared long either. It is a very short ratio trans. Yeah, it's longer in 18+ than prevous but it's still short. Lol.

Good grief. Where the heck do these people get their Info. Lol
Sponsored