Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Also running up to an E30 is actually pretty safe as well. I limit mine to E25 to get me to a 93-94 octane as I run a couple of gallons of VP100 Unleaded per tank as well.
How much does that run you? I can't seem to find any unleaded 100+ octane for anything less than $65, for a mere 5 galons.

On a semi related note, it's funny how different gas stations give different results. I have a shell and mobil near me. The mobil 93 is definitely 10% E and is roughly 40 cents cheaper than shell, but the car acts weird on it. Now if I feel like taking a 20 minute trip to a different shell station that has the same price of the mobil, I feel like I hit a jackpot. I noticed this over a year back but the car just feels so much better on whatever magic juice that comes out of those pumps.
Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
How much does that run you? I can't seem to find any unleaded 100+ octane for anything less than $65, for a mere 5 galons.

On a semi related note, it's funny how different gas stations give different results. I have a shell and mobil near me. The mobil 93 is definitely 10% E and is roughly 40 cents cheaper than shell, but the car acts weird on it. Now if I feel like taking a 20 minute trip to a different shell station that has the same price of the mobil, I feel like I hit a jackpot. I noticed this over a year back but the car just feels so much better on whatever magic juice that comes out of those pumps.

If you are going to buy pales of the stuff I would go with the MS109 at 105 octane. Yes the 5 gallon pale is $7 more than the 100 octane but you will have to blend less. I am lucky there is a pump near by that sells VP100 Cali legal 100 octane unleaded for $9.99 per gallon. I blend 2 gallons of racing unleaded and 2 gallons of E85. In Cali we are lucky as the E85 is a true E85 at 105 octane.

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So what about the wording on the gas pumps? When I finally started looking at the type/content of gas to do an E85 mix, I noticed one place, where I always fill with 93 , says "contains up to 10% ethonal". But the other store with the e85 available shows 93 as it "MAY contain up to 10% ethonal" Lol. WTF. I guess the only way to find out is to test the gas, correct?

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
So what about the wording on the gas pumps? When I finally started looking at the type/content of gas to do an E85 mix, I noticed one place, where I always fill with 93 , says "contains up to 10% ethonal". But the other store with the e85 available shows 93 as it "MAY contain up to 10% ethonal" Lol. WTF. I guess the only way to find out is to test the gas, correct?
Price can also be an indicator. Pure gas will cost more than e10. I have two shell stations by me. One charges 3.50 a gallon and the other is 3.10. I haven't tested but I'd wager the 3.10 is usually e10.

Pure gas is treated like a rarity now, it seems. Gas companies are charging a premium for it because the average person will see it as outright better.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
So most of us have used octane booster with mmt. Why does Ford say not to use it when the can says 02, cat safe?

Couldn't the company be sued for liability or false advertisement if that was not true?
My last company invented mmt. There has been an ongoing battle between OEMs and the manufacturer over whether mmt clogs catalysts. I believe it was GM that ran a test and saw discoloration in the cat due to mmt. They claimed it would buildup over time and eventually clog it. My company ran many tests vehicles for thousands of miles and never saw a single clogged cat. So the manufacturer claims it is safe based on their test data, while the OEMs are overly cautious and don't want people running it. I have used a super concentrated version I made while working there in our BMW, and it has never had any issues.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My last company invented mmt. There has been an ongoing battle between OEMs and the manufacturer over whether mmt clogs catalysts. I believe it was GM that ran a test and saw discoloration in the cat due to mmt. They claimed it would buildup over time and eventually clog it. My company ran many tests vehicles for thousands of miles and never saw a single clogged cat. So the manufacturer claims it is safe based on their test data, while the OEMs are overly cautious and don't want people running it. I have used a super concentrated version I made while working there in our BMW, and it has never had any issues.

I think it all depends. As far as BMW is concerned the S65 engine in the E92 M3 used its spark plugs as knock sensors. The MMT would coat the plugs with a nice orange hue and did effect the plugs ability to operate as knock sensors.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, I do believe in the future we are going to see E15 fuel as the norm.

SDAMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Just curious, Now that some time has passed for some of you with this tune / pack, do you feel any differently about it as the fuel trims/ecu got used to everything? Like if you you were initially disappointed, has that changed?

Did anyone else run it at the track yet?

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I think it all depends. As far as BMW is concerned the S65 engine in the E92 M3 used its spark plugs as knock sensors. The MMT would coat the plugs with a nice orange hue and did effect the plugs ability to operate as knock sensors.
Sounds like another German design flaw. ;)

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like another German design flaw. ;)
To be honest the S65 was a NA wetdream. Individual throttle bodies for each cylinder, a throttle response that literally was telepathic. Car pulled all the way to redline at 8400rpm, and the gearing was pretty much perfectly matched to the car. I have had my 2020 Mustang GT now for 2 mos. and I miss the roar of the intake howl. I am hoping this FRPP kit will give me some of that as of the somewhat opened design of the CAI.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
To be honest the S65 was a NA wetdream. Individual throttle bodies for each cylinder, a throttle response that literally was telepathic. Car pulled all the way to redline at 8400rpm, and the gearing was pretty much perfectly matched to the car. I have had my 2020 Mustang GT now for 2 mos. and I miss the roar of the intake howl. I am hoping this FRPP kit will give me some of that as of the somewhat opened design of the CAI.
Eh, I can't hear my intake over the sound of my exhaust. Going E85 pretty much made the car a different animal. Traction is really the only problem now.

I just like to make fun of German cars, as I work for a German auto company and have a lot of experience fixing poor design issues. :)

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Eh, I can't hear my intake over the sound of my exhaust. Going E85 pretty much made the car a different animal. Traction is really the only problem now.

I just like to make fun of German cars, as I work for a German auto company and have a lot of experience fixing poor design issues. :)
Suspension and tire makes the traction alot more controllable and the power much more usable. Agreed e completely transforms this platform.

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
Im really curious to find out how this package perform against a lund ots 93 octane tune.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Im really curious to find out how this package perform against a lund ots 93 octane tune.
93 to 93 < 20whp so comparable power. But the shifts on the Lund would be more aggressive. Either would be especially advantageous to cars not equipped with drive modes.

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
Mine has the drive mode its a pp1 with 3.55. But the a10 shift the 6-7 earlier than 7500 rpm its a shame that its tune that way from factory. and no launch control while gm has it on the camaro and zl1 :(
Sponsored