Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I get the same exact noise at times. Just like you at idle you can hear it very well. I took it to 2 dealers and they say its normal and blame it on the normal tick noise. Ford just doesnt want to take responsibility for anything. It's why I never got an extended warranty. You dont have to put it back to stock if it was dealer installed. Your dealer should treat your car no different as the warranty works the same. If they blame it on something to do with the FP parts then I dont know if FP would come into play there, but the noise we hear I doubt has anything to do with the calibration.
There's no tick. Just all this other racket. Dealer did not install my kit. I did a better job and I know it was done right. I don't trust them as far as I can throw them. That's why I'm hesitant to take it there. I shared this video with another forum member who says mine sounds worse than his did. He ended up getting his motor replaced.

I had the same noise and opted to go back to stock. A big waste of money.
After you returned to stock, the noises were gone?
Sponsored

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
There's no tick. Just all this other racket. Dealer did not install my kit. I did a better job and I know it was done right. I don't trust them as far as I can throw them. That's why I'm hesitant to take it there. I shared this video with another forum member who says mine sounds worse than his did. He ended up getting his motor replaced.
That guy got very lucky then. How much crap did he go through with the dealer before they replaced it? Even with no tick they'll blame it on it like both dealers did to me. Heck I had a misfire on cyld 3 spark plug once and one dealer litterly parked my car in back for 4 hours then told me my car was normal. I hate dealers with a passion. If you do take it and get anywhere let me know.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual

Finally21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 Race Red
Did the noise go away when you switched back? Did you run into any issues with the brake aspirator hose fitting back when going back to the stock box since it had to be cut for the FP?
The dealer did my install and removal so I can't speak to the brake aspirator. My car sounds as it did when I first took delivery, 2k tick and all.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I am leaning towards putting everything back to stock before taking it to the dealer. That way if they have to pull it apart, they will be dealing with stock parts and not screwing with my FP kit. What are my warranty implications? Do I have to go through FP or through Ford?
AFAIK, any dealer can tell if you flashed tunes on the computer so they'll know you've tuned it and then removed that tune.

Ford Performance warranty that comes with the kit only applies if you had a Ford tech or ASE certified person install. Since you didn't you won't have any warranty at all if the issue is caused by this kit. Your warranty implications are that you have none.

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
This video sounds totally normal, people have traced that "schnick" sound to most likely cam phasers from my understanding. Both my '19 and my '20 did it brand new and still does to this day on the '20.

It happens every time you gas/let off/gas/let off. Bad sounds are sounds that happen intermittently or under certain conditions. This noise that happens every time you perform the action is working as intended as far Ford and me are concerned.

You might not like that it's nosier than you want, but I would put $1000 on this sound being there the day this car was built. My advice is get a louder exhaust so you drown out the noise.

Random question but are you the original owner? Worrying about noises like these on a used car is a big reason I had to buy new. Buying new and hearing these noises, I never worried about them because the car has always functioned as promised.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
This video sounds totally normal, people have traced that "schnick" sound to most likely cam phasers from my understanding. Both my '19 and my '20 did it brand new and still does to this day on the '20.

It happens every time you gas/let off/gas/let off. Bad sounds are sounds that happen intermittently or under certain conditions. This noise that happens every time you perform the action is working as intended as far Ford and me are concerned.

You might not like that it's nosier than you want, but I would put $1000 on this sound being there the day this car was built. My advice is get a louder exhaust so you drown out the noise.

Random question but are you the original owner? Worrying about noises like these on a used car is a big reason I had to buy new. Buying new and hearing these noises, I never worried about them because the car has always functioned as promised.
Well that's a little reassuring. I bought the car brand new. I just don't recall ever hearing it make THAT much noise.
"My advice is get a louder exhaust so you drown out the noise". I was thinking an H pipe would be nice! Headers too, but the FP tune would need to be adjusted for them. So no headers.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Mine makes the same level of noise as day 1. When I first got it, I was surprised by some of the noises too. But since it did it new, still does it, and never stopped doing it, makes me not worry. It's a noisy engine with a lot more parts than engines in the same ballpark like the LS. If it runs right and pulls hard seems like we just need to embrace the noises.

I also used to get thrown at first by the clunks and bangs the MT-82 makes but now I like them, let's me know it's working right.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Mine sounds basically the exact same, and has since before the install. My money is on those sounds always being there. I had my engine replaced and THAT sounded bad. One problem with taking people's word on a "sound" is that, to be blunt, many have zero mechanical experience. There was just a thread where someone claimed his engine was replaced for bad rod bearings, with the 2k rattle, and said we all have bad bearings. That gave me a laugh. I don't doubt their engine was replaced, but the tick sound had nothing to do with it. See my point?

Also, something of note. I've noticed that my engine gets noisier towards the end of my OCI, >5000 miles (probably due to fuel dilution), and quiets down some when the fresh oil sets in.

Last edited:

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Mine sounds basically the exact same, and has since before the install. My money is on those sounds always being there. I had my engine replaced and THAT sounded bad. One problem with taking people's word on a "sound" is that, to be blunt, many have zero mechanical experience. There was just a thread where someone claimed his engine was replaced for bad rod bearings, with the 2k rattle, and said we all have bad bearings. That gave me a laugh. I don't doubt their engine was replaced, but the tick sound had nothing to do with it. See my point?

Also, something of note. I've noticed that my engine gets noisier towards the end of my OCI, >5000 miles (probably due to fuel dilution), and quiets down some when the fresh oil sets in.
You make some very valid points. I get in my head and think that's not how it "should" sound. But that is how "they" do sound.

Are you using synthetic? I am at the end of my OCI too. Unfortunately my OCD never ends. :crazy:

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
You make some very valid points. I get in my head and think that's not how it "should" sound. But that is how "they" do sound.

Are you using synthetic? I am at the end of my OCI too. Unfortunately my OCD never ends. :crazy:
Since day one. Pennzoil platinum 5w30 for most, valvoline advanced 5w30 for the last one. Currently using High Performance Lubricants premium PCMO 5w30. Nothing is immune to fuel dilution.

EDIT: And ya, we all do that. I have periods of time where I accept it and then think something is new, but realize I went down the same rabbit hole a year ago and it's all the same.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
My 2019 PP2 ticked intermittently and stopped with a change to 5W-30 Mobil 1.

This 2021 ticked all the damn time when I got it at 9400 miles.Changed to Mobil 5w-30 and haven't heard since. All the FP tune did was give me more juice.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

IMO, it's too easy to go down the rabbit hole with these gen 3 motors. This much complexity means lots of potential for parts to interact in certain ways and create strange noises. Just how it goes. I got all paranoid for a little bit once I started noticing stuff, but the engine always sings properly once you wind it out and makes great power. If that weren't the case, there would be more cause for alarm. After all, mechanical issues will typically present themselves very quickly under heavy loads.

Ultimately there's nothing you can do anyway, other than hoping the dealer approves the warranty parts cannon and unloads it for you. But even then, there's no guarantee the noise will be gone, or you won't get it back 2 years from now, or get a different one in return. Plus, that's all the hassle of having your car gone for weeks, and now bolts and clips have been messed with.

Until it forces you to pay attention, like excessive metallic rattling on cold start (there's a TSB for that because usually there's a phaser or chain problem, ecoboost 3.5 is notorious for it), or if it windows the block, I would just try to free your mind of this.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
IMO, it's too easy to go down the rabbit hole with these gen 3 motors. This much complexity means lots of potential for parts to interact in certain ways and create strange noises. Just how it goes. I got all paranoid for a little bit once I started noticing stuff, but the engine always sings properly once you wind it out and makes great power. If that weren't the case, there would be more cause for alarm. After all, mechanical issues will typically present themselves very quickly under heavy loads.

Ultimately there's nothing you can do anyway, other than hoping the dealer approves the warranty parts cannon and unloads it for you. But even then, there's no guarantee the noise will be gone, or you won't get it back 2 years from now, or get a different one in return. Plus, that's all the hassle of having your car gone for weeks, and now bolts and clips have been messed with.

Until it forces you to pay attention, like excessive metallic rattling on cold start (there's a TSB for that because usually there's a phaser or chain problem, ecoboost 3.5 is notorious for it), or if it windows the block, I would just try to free your mind of this.
I'm grabbing my shovel to fill that damn rabbit hole and stay away from the "My engine makes a noise, is it normal?" threads.

Engine oil is going to be changed this weekend and I'll send a sample off to Blackstone. Also going to cut open the oil filter, and inspect and check spark plug gaps. If anything looks bad, the car will go to the dealer for further diagnosis. If everything comes back positive, I'm not going to think about this anymore.
Thanks!

illanxr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Illan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP 1 Magneride
Mine also sounds like that since day 1, although it has increased in intensity (especially the crank when you release throttle). It’s not at the dealer and they’re saying it’s the VTC tensioner. I’m not super worried, since it’s covered under warranty. Will report back once they fix it to see if the noise is still there
Sponsored