Floating at High Speeds

Skinsssss550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dyllan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
So I have a 2015 GT Premum. Just had the new dampening kit from eibach (shocks and struts) put on to go with the eibach sportline lowering springs. But a few weeks back after getting some tire work done I had the car re-aligned due to a very small and barely noticeable floating feeling and thought it was due to alignment. Went to Ford and they “aligned” the car and it drove worse than before. But in addition to the shocks, struts, and springs I have ford performance half shafts and rfx10 rims and nitro tires (rear: rim size 20x11 +48; tire: 305/30) (front: rim size 20x10.5 +38 tire: 285/30). So upon road check the car drives solid until the highway and then feels like it’s floating at high speeds. When doing the alignment they used the ford performance track pack specs to align the car and did not touch the camber or caster.
I feel if I can just find a better alignment shop to do the job right it would fix the issue, but was wondering if anyone has some input.

02E3D56C-83E5-48EB-9654-B9412FD62B2B.jpeg
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Do you have the "after" alignment sheet specs they normally give to the customer? If you do maybe you can post it up so others can see/offer better advice.

It seems the alignment results could be the issue.

Did the car feel better before the alignment?

What brand tires?

OP
OP

Skinsssss550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dyllan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
The car looks great though. Just kepp it under the speed limit and save yourself grief and fines LOL.

All geometry that Ford spent $millions in design and testing was discarded when you dropped it.

I have seen so many lowered cars behaving badly.

Try and find a performance alignment & suspension shop to take a look.
I had no issue when it was just the lowering springs. At the time my OEM shocks and struts were fine so didn’t replace them.

OP
OP

Skinsssss550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dyllan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Do you have the "after" alignment sheet specs they normally give to the customer? If you do maybe you can post it up so others can see/offer better advice.

It seems the alignment results could be the issue.

Did the car feel better before the alignment?

What brand tires?
I’m getting another guy to take a look this morning but everything was set to track pack 2015 gt and he mentioned the front camber and caster are both off (red) because he did not mess with it.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Most shops do not know how to properly align a car. I went to Hunter alignment school when I first started working on cars for a living. I cringe everytime I see a supposed alignment.

Find a pro, an alignment specialty shop.

I guarantee the alignment you get at a dealer or a tire shop will not repeat after taking the car off the rack then putting it back on.
IE will not match the print out they just handed you.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Skinsssss550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dyllan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Most shops do not know how to properly align a car. I went to Hunter alignment school when I first started working on cars for a living. I cringe everytime I see a supposed alignment.

Find a pro, an alignment specialty shop.

I guarantee the alignment you get at a dealer or a tire shop will not repeat after taking the car off the rack then putting it back on.
IE will not match the print out they just handed you.
He said he didn’t touch the front camber or caster. Would this be leading to a floating/disconnected feeling?

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I often daydream about making various mods to my car, i.e., wheels/tires, suspension, tunes, FI, etc.
Then I see various threads looking for advice with fairly perplexing problems and it can’t help but strike me that in virtually every case the car has been modded in some way. You almost never read about these things happening to a car left the way Ford designed and built it.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
If it started when you got new tires, its probably the tires. Ive had some tires feel very floaty at high speeds. What type of tires are on the car?

Mike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
What exactly do you mean by “high speeds?”

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
So I have a 2015 GT Premum. Just had the new dampening kit from eibach (shocks and struts) put on to go with the eibach sportline lowering springs. But a few weeks back after getting some tire work done I had the car re-aligned due to a very small and barely noticeable floating feeling and thought it was due to alignment. Went to Ford and they “aligned” the car and it drove worse than before. But in addition to the shocks, struts, and springs I have ford performance half shafts and rfx10 rims and nitro tires (rear: rim size 20x11 +48; tire: 305/30) (front: rim size 20x10.5 +38 tire: 285/30). So upon road check the car drives solid until the highway and then feels like it’s floating at high speeds. When doing the alignment they used the ford performance track pack specs to align the car and did not touch the camber or caster.
I feel if I can just find a better alignment shop to do the job right it would fix the issue, but was wondering if anyone has some input.

02E3D56C-83E5-48EB-9654-B9412FD62B2B.jpeg
tuning your suspension is an art. often changing one thing exposes a weakness in another component. I always say, mod'ing a car is like opening pandora's box. from the information you provided i would say look at your front lower control arm & tension link. steeda makes a set specifically for fixing the geometry changes when lowering your ride. there is a difference between lateral and vertical deflection... you want to remove as much lateral deflection as you can, which is probably what you're feeling! I have spent the past 4 years making small changes (tuning) my suspension, which required changing a lot. BMR front and rear braces for the k-member, steeda lower control arm and tension link, BMR rear vertical link and upper control arm, IRS steeda subframe connectors, and bushing lockouts... all because I installed the ford performance track suspension for magneride. also check "all" your stock suspension bushing, it may be time to replace. I also have the driveshaft shop driveshaft and ford performance 1500 hp axles. finally, there are a few more things I intend to change, but that's for another post.

P.S. I always go with the stock alignment specs, unless I'm heading to the track!!

Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I thought there was no stock way of adjusting front caster or camber on these cars. You need to install a set of plates to accomplish any adjustment. I'd love the get some Vorshlag's, but can not justify the price on a DD.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I often daydream about making various mods to my car, i.e., wheels/tires, suspension, tunes, FI, etc.
Then I see various threads looking for advice with fairly perplexing problems and it can’t help but strike me that in virtually every case the car has been modded in some way. You almost never read about these things happening to a car left the way Ford designed and built it.
I agree with you completely. It's also why I'd be hard pressed to buy a modified vehicle, especially a performance one.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I'm need more clarification of what the OP means by "floating feeling".

Like....a concrete definition of what that means.

And also a link to the Eibach kit that was used. Might be an answer there too.

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Mine floated at high speed 100 mph and above until I lowered the front by 1/2 inch. The stock splitter causes lift unless you rake the car some.
Sponsored