Sponsored

FL 2087 update (interesting information)

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
If it came down to it, I would as a last resort leave the old filter in there until the new ones
show up. To me , its a way better option than not changing at least the oil.
Sponsored

Jbraun2828

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350
I also ordered a filter and housing from tasca, we’ll see if it actually happens and I have my doubts. If I don’t get one in the next 2-3 weeks, I’m going to drain my oil along with the filter and put the old filter back in with fresh oil. For now, this is the best solution I can come up with.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Wonder why they wouldn't sale me one when I called yesterday. I did ask for FL-2087. I got one from Taska.
Its a KR3Z-6A832-A assembly that comes with the canister. If you tried to order a single FL-2087, they don't have them. They are probably sold out of the KR3Z-6A832-A by now anyway, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Funny, I just got done watching that video. I thought you did a good job but I would still be concerned to use an aftermarket filter when the manual says you cannot. Keep in mind that is a customer service person who at first had no idea what you were talking about. She seemed quite clueless about the whole thing. You on the other hand knew exactly what you were talking about.

Its a shame we don't have some kind of portal to get a determination from engineering at Ford. These filters can be found. I just bought one from Tasca parts recently.

I bought several that I passed along at my cost to other forum members and I may be getting some more and do the same thing.

Its good that you had customer service tell you it was OK to use aftermarket. I'm glad you got it all on tape and put it in a video. Since they inform you that the call may be recorded, that leaves you the right to record the call as well. My point being is that an official Ford representative stated that aftermarket is acceptable. I don't know if she was right or wrong or even qualified to make that declaration, but it gives people a leg to stand on if they have to resort to using aftermarket and god forbid something should go wrong.

Well done.
It's definitely a stronger position. But like we discussed before, it's better to not have a problem than it is to have a problem with a strong legal argument. Having said that, I ain't saying to do it, but if I was still under warranty, I'd keep a used FL2087 around. As long as you use the same oil it would be impossible for a tech to determine what filter was actually in the car at the time of mechanical issue. I know on the surface that seems shady, but given the position Ford has placed everyone, it's better to just eliminate the issue altogether than leave the door open. This is of course assuming the warranty claim wasn't undeniably caused by the spec of filter (like a collapsed filter). THAT would be completely unethical (and frankly it would be illegal and fraudulent). I'd just hate to put in a claim for something totally unrelated to the filter and have a dealer deny based on chincy read of the published documents. Even if you have a link to a Youtube recording of a Ford representative giving the okay.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It's definitely a stronger position. But like we discussed before, it's better to not have a problem than it is to have a problem with a strong legal argument. Having said that, I ain't saying to do it, but if I was still under warranty, I'd keep a used FL2087 around. As long as you use the same oil it would be impossible for a tech to determine what filter was actually in the car at the time of mechanical issue. I know on the surface that seems shady, but given the position Ford has placed everyone, it's better to just eliminate the issue altogether than leave the door open. This is of course assuming the warranty claim wasn't undeniably caused by the spec of filter (like a collapsed filter). THAT would be completely unethical (and frankly it would be illegal and fraudulent). I'd just hate to put in a claim for something totally unrelated to the filter and have a dealer deny based on chincy read of the published documents. Even if you have a link to a Youtube recording of a Ford representative giving the okay.
I completely agree. I have about 3 used FL2087s out in the garage if anyone needs one.

I may have more 2087s coming in. When I get them, I will do something similar as I did before. I recently did something that worked out. I sent a 2087 out to a senior member of this forum and wouldn't take his money. The only condition I put on it was that he aggressively search for a replacement and send it to me when he got it. Today I discovered that a filter is on its way back to me. I'm going to keep this going and repeat. I have offered it to a senior member who goes way above and beyond around here. If he declines, I will reassess and send out another offer, and repeat.

Again, I may have more coming that I will distribute at my cost.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Last edited:

Sletcher

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Vehicle(s)
20 GT350, 19 Expedition, 17 VW Alltrack
Wrong link
Ok Fred, I’ll bite; the link I posted was for part # KR3Z-6A832-A which is the filter housing and filter. I select the link and that part # comes up. Is the link broken for you?

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I've backed out of this thread because I know I'm the odd man out, if not almost completely alone on my opinion and personal risk tolerance; and I do respect your guys' personal choices on your chosen path...but you guys are getting completely nuts on this. You guys have officially lost it.

You guys get hung up on the wording in the owners manual...show me where it remotely gives you the option to not change the filter? "Change your engine oil and filter according to the appropriate schedule listed."

That word "and" has a legal definition like any other word, and I can tell you this sentence holds more weight that the sentence that scares everyone away from an aftermarket filter. Sure, don't get me wrong, I get it...pick your battles...totally get it.

And where did you get your filter from? Lethal? LMR? Tomster? (bro...just picking on ya to make a point, LOL ;-) IDK man, I don't think that's gonna hold up in court when you need a new engine. "The use of any oil filter other than the dealer supplied oil filter may cause engine damage."

Sorry guys couldn't resist...my post truly is all in good fun.

Sponsored

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
My girl works in the parts department for a commercial Ford truck dealer.
She was able to get one for me but it wasn't easy.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I've backed out of this thread because I know I'm the odd man out, if not almost completely alone on my opinion and personal risk tolerance; and I do respect your guys' personal choices on your chosen path...but you guys are getting completely nuts on this. You guys have officially lost it.

You guys get hung up on the wording in the owners manual...show me where it remotely gives you the option to not change the filter? "Change your engine oil and filter according to the appropriate schedule listed."

That word "and" has a legal definition like any other word, and I can tell you this sentence holds more weight that the sentence that scares everyone away from an aftermarket filter. Sure, don't get me wrong, I get it...pick your battles...totally get it.

And where did you get your filter from? Lethal? LMR? Tomster? (bro...just picking on ya to make a point, LOL ;-) IDK man, I don't think that's gonna hold up in court when you need a new engine. "The use of any oil filter other than the dealer supplied oil filter may cause engine damage."

Sorry guys couldn't resist...my post truly is all in good fun.
I finally broke down and emailed a person who will have the definitive answer at Ford. He has already replied and is checking on it. I hope we can settle all of this once and for all so that everyone is dealing in fact, not opinion.

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
I finally broke down and emailed a person who will have the definitive answer at Ford. He has already replied and is checking on it. I hope we can settle all of this once and for all so that everyone is dealing in fact, not opinion.
I’m 99% sure that I can tell what the response will be, however it should be definitive. Good job Tom for finally being able to “stick a fork in it”, it’s done. Now if they would just start making oil filters for our cars…..

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I’m 99% sure that I can tell what the response will be, however it should be definitive. Good job Tom for finally being able to “stick a fork in it”, it’s done. Now if they would just start making oil filters for our cars…..
we dont have an answer yet, but this needs to be answered. It should be a crime to take advantage of people and sell oil filters on ebay for $300. This doesn't look good for Ford either way.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
(Un)fortunate or not, illegal or not, capitalism or not, whoever it is is a f$&@ing tool, and clearly not someone from our community. But, IMHO, whoever the f$&@tards are buying them bear half the blame. I’d beg the question who’s the bigger idiot? Unfortunate it may be, but as long as someone from the community is buying them, makes it hard to complain about it.
Sponsored