Sponsored

Extended Stud Options?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I didn't/don't know what part to get exactly without buying too few or too many assemblies to ensure the wheels will switch over problem free. I've never swapped hubs on these cars and know there have been some minor changes over the GT350 run. I want to do it right, easily and efficiently the first time.

Is it all 4 hubs w studs alone that I need? Fronts and rears?
Yes, the hubs come with studs installed and they bolt onto the knuckles front and rear with four bolts each. The rears also have the half-shaft nut that should be replaced. Ford says "get new bolts too" but I've reused my originals every time I've swapped over from regular GT350 hubs to R hubs.

So, the shopping list is two front "R" hubs, two rear "R" hubs, two half-shaft nuts and optionally 16 mounting bolts and that's it.

There are a number of threads here and on TMO that show how to change front and rear hubs. It's a bit tedious, particularly the rears, but not that difficult.
Sponsored

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
Have you googled the hubs? They come as a kit for most cars.
I have. But I'm seeing that the studs alone can be replaced which, on its face, seemed like a much more appropriate path. I'm learning.

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 03 Cobra, 90 GT, 82 GT
Tony, you can replace the studs in the hubs, but you have to pull the hubs anyway. I started by popping one of the front studs loose. But, I couldn't wiggle it out. So, the hubs had to come off. With a press, the rest is pretty straight-forward.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
@TonyNJ The kits are super easy to install. The nice thing about them is that they don't require a press and pretty reasonable from a cost perspective.

Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 11.10.25 AM.png

Probably 30 minutes per hub. For example:

When the rear bearings go out I'll probably do the rear kit. Bearings on these cars need to be changed all the time and the FP kits are pretty convenient.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
@TonyNJ The kits are super easy to install. The nice thing about them is that they don't require a press and pretty reasonable from a cost perspective.

Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 11.10.25 AM.png

Probably 30 minutes per hub. For example:

When the rear bearings go out I'll probably do the rear kit. Bearings on these cars need to be changed all the time and the FP kits are pretty convenient.
So, @TonyNJ said he wanted to install GT350R CF rims on his 2020 GT350. None of the parts in your post are useful for doing that. At the rear, the FP listing for M-1104-B specifically says they won't work on a GT350R, and that's because the studs are too short. So, they're no help. At the front, the part M-1104-AB in the picture and in the video is for a GT with a stub axle. They won't install on a GT350 because Ford didn't use a stub axle on the GT350.

What problem does @TonyNJ have to solve to get his R rims installed? Well, the GT350R CF rims are very thick where they go on the hub. The fronts are 1-1/2" thicker than a regular aluminum rim, and the rears are about 3/4" thicker. The factory hubs, FR3Z-1109-A for the front and FR3Z-1104-E at the rear, have the right length studs to make the CF rims work perfectly with factory lug nuts. There are aftermarket studs that are long enough - OP Mustang offers a selection and they come loose or installed.

Last edited:

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
So, @TonyNJ said he wanted to install GT350R CF rims on his 2020 GT350. None of the parts in your post are useful for doing that. At the rear, the FP listing for M-1104-B specifically says they won't work on a GT350R, and that's because the studs are too short. So, they're no help. At the front, the part M-1104-AB in the picture and in the video is for a GT with a stub axle. They won't install on a GT350 because Ford didn't use a stub axle on the GT350.

What problem does @TonyNJ have to solve to get his R rims installed? Well, the GT350R CF rims are very thick where they go on the hub. The fronts are 1-1/2" thicker than a regular aluminum rim, and the rears are about 3/4" thicker. The factory hubs, FR3Z-1109-A for the front and FR3Z-1104-E at the rear, have the right length studs to make the CF rims work perfectly with factory lug nuts. There are aftermarket studs that are long enough - OP Mustang offers a selection and they come loose or installed.
Thank you for the part #s. That helps a lot.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
I ordered gt350r hubs with the longer studs and received them yesterday.
Part # Fr3z-1109-a, if anyone wants to go that route. They are not cheap.
J, who did you order your hubs from? A Ford dealership? I'm trying to find a set but sold out.

Jbraun2828

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350
J, who did you order your hubs from? A Ford dealership? I'm trying to find a set but sold out.
Yes I got them through my local dealership. I got lucky at the time because they have been scarce for a while

Sponsored

crazymayhem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB
Have a slow leak in a rear tire which cant be patched. I can either buy two new rear tires now, or go ahead with my square apex 20" upgrade. Ive already got a set of VS-5RS in 11*20 52mm all around. Ive got 25mm spacers for upfront, just need new hubs. OP Mustang does have much, and seems to only have the fronts right now. What are my options right now? would the GT350R hubs work?

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
The only difference between the 350R hubs and the 350 hubs are the studs. Buy studs from Apex, FP, or OP if they have any, and just swap them into your existing hubs. Unless I'm missing something in regards to your particular set up.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Have a slow leak in a rear tire which cant be patched. I can either buy two new rear tires now, or go ahead with my square apex 20" upgrade. Ive already got a set of VS-5RS in 11*20 52mm all around. Ive got 25mm spacers for upfront, just need new hubs. OP Mustang does have much, and seems to only have the fronts right now. What are my options right now? would the GT350R hubs work?
I wouldnt think you’d need to upgrade the rear hubs at all, an 11”ET52 is a normal rear fit. Just slap on the wheels and go. You dont even need new lug nuts.

If you had a 12” VS5RS then we’d have to talk about fit.

crazymayhem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB
The only difference between the 350R hubs and the 350 hubs are the studs. Buy studs from Apex, FP, or OP if they have any, and just swap them into your existing hubs. Unless I'm missing something in regards to your particular set up.
Thanks. Id have to get the tools to do the studs and find the time. On the other hand ive already asked around at shops here - none of them will press studs into hubs. They'll put in new hubs with extended studs, but wont put studs in existing hubs. Mine have 50k on em now. Thats why I was looking into hubs.

I wouldnt think you’d need to upgrade the rear hubs at all, an 11”ET52 is a normal rear fit. Just slap on the wheels and go. You dont even need new lug nuts.

If you had a 12” VS5RS then we’d have to talk about fit.
You raise an interesting point there! I may have to reevaluate that and might not have to do anything on the back...?

That said, maybe just the front R hubs, or the FP with extended studs for the front.... ?

Thanks!

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Thanks. Id have to get the tools to do the studs and find the time. On the other hand ive already asked around at shops here - none of them will press studs into hubs. They'll put in new hubs with extended studs, but wont put studs in existing hubs. Mine have 50k on em now. Thats why I was looking into hubs.

You raise an interesting point there! I may have to reevaluate that and might not have to do anything on the back...?

That said, maybe just the front R hubs, or the FP with extended studs for the front.... ?

Thanks!
As @NightmareMoon said, the rims you have should bolt straight onto the rear factory GT350 hubs with the factory lug nuts.

At the front, there's a bit of confusion: FP doesn't make an extended stud front hub kit for the GT350. The one in the catalog is for Mustang GT's, and it won't fit the GT350 or the R. Also, the GT350R front hubs (that I use on my GT350) have studs that are about 0.4" longer than you need with a 25mm spacer. Factory lug nuts will bottom out before they tighten with a 25mm spacer. You can run open-ended lug nuts if you don't mind the appearance.

I run a 35mm spacer and the factory lug nuts work perfectly, but I run OEM GT350 rear 19x11 ET62 rims on the front of my GT350. While it's possible that, with a 35mm spacer, your 20x11 ET52 front rims will sit too far out and rub the fender, they'd only be 7mm (a hair over 1/4") further out than the GT350R factory front wheel. It'll probably work, but it's worth checking.
Sponsored

Last edited: