Sponsored

Dealer motor tear down for BBQ tick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Bought my 2018 Mustang GT early November and drove it off the lot with less than 100 miles ticking. Unfortunately I did not do any research until after I purchased the car. I assumed it was an exhaust leak and thought "well heck, that's a simple fix. I'll just bring it back later".

Fast forward 8 weeks and the car has now been to 2 different dealers. The 1st dealer didn't do squat and after fighting with them for a week I couldn't get anywhere so I took it to the dealer that I bought the car from (further away). They have been very helpful and honest so far. After 3 weeks there, I received word that they are proceeding with tearing into the motor to further diagnose it. I've already started a case and escalated it for a buy-back. After seeing how prevalent this engine tick is i'm done with the Gen 3 coyote until Ford finds a root cause and fix for it.

Reason for me starting this thread is simply to hopefully help others through the same experience and educate others with what my dealer finds.
Sponsored

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
That is a sad situation. If nothing else it makes me rather nervous as I approach time for the first oil change.

What is more disturbing to me is Ford doesn't seem to have a "fix". There solution has been to toss new motors in them and hope for the best.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm in the same boat. I just did a few things to subdue the noise for now. Hopefully when Ford actually figures out how to "fix" it, then I'll do my best to just keep it running as best I can.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I'm in the same boat. I just did a few things to subdue the noise for now. Hopefully when Ford actually figures out how to "fix" it, then I'll do my best to just keep it running as best I can.
Which should hardly be the kind of mentality one has for a "new" car.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Which should hardly be the kind of mentality one has for a "new" car.
The problem is, I love the car and want to keep it. Right now, replaced engines are doing the same thing. So, why would I ask them replace it, knowing the replacement block will most likely do the same thing? Since I haven't found any metal in the oil yet, the noise is just that...noise. It's either just keep driving it for now, trade it in for something else, or do a buy back. So, since I love the car, I'll just keep driving it for now.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
The problem is, I love the car and want to keep it. Right now, replaced engines are doing the same thing. So, why would I ask them replace it, knowing the replacement block will most likely do the same thing? Since I haven't found any metal in the oil yet, the noise is just that...noise. It's either just keep driving it for now, trade it in for something else, or do a buy back. So, since I love the car, I'll just keep driving it for now.
I loved my car too, but I really can not justify making monthly payments on something that has abnormal engine characteristics (at least until Ford proves otherwise). In my view, this engine's fate is premature failure - the ticking metal-on-metal contact noise has got to be a problem whether it is short term or long term. What if the motor goes out after the 5 year power-train warranty because of this issue? Not worth the risk in my opinion. I'm having Ford buy my car back and drive something else while Ford figures out the issue and has a counter measure. Maybe in a year or two I will come back and buy another Mustang with this problem resolved.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Update: Today is the 30 day mark for lemon law in my state that my car has been out of service.

Last Friday 12/7 I finally got a hold of the service case manager after 5 days of phone tag. That's probably the worse part of this process - trying to communicate with them on their time. I work 8 to 5 EST, which conveniently is the same time they work.

She said she would be in contact with the dealership to see how long it would be to get parts and have my car back in working order. I then proceeded by telling her that I am not confident that Ford has a fix for this engine issue and I don't want this car back or another car, I want a buy-back. She said o.k., and would check in to my states lemon law requirements and follow up with my this Friday 12/14. I may try pushing to expedite the process tomorrow since I have my eyes set on a different vehicle.

Spoke to the dealer service manager this evening. He said a ford engineer came on-site last Friday to investigate the car. They ended up narrowing down the problem to cylinder #3 with piston slap. That's all I could get out of him. He told me that they would be most likely sending this engine back to Ford for further testing and diagnosis while they put in a new engine. The dealer has been very helpful and accommodating, it's a shame Ford has this engine issue.

Here is a video I took of my car making the noise at cold start up. When fully warmed up the sound disappears.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I also had issus with cylinder nr 3

My new motor (crate) has the typewriter tick...

Update: Today is the 30 day mark for lemon law in my state that my car has been out of service.

Last Friday 12/7 I finally got a hold of the service case manager after 5 days of phone tag. That's probably the worse part of this process - trying to communicate with them on their time. I work 8 to 5 EST, which conveniently is the same time they work.

She said she would be in contact with the dealership to see how long it would be to get parts and have my car back in working order. I then proceeded by telling her that I am not confident that Ford has a fix for this engine issue and I don't want this car back or another car, I want a buy-back. She said o.k., and would check in to my states lemon law requirements and follow up with my this Friday 12/14. I may try pushing to expedite the process tomorrow since I have my eyes set on a different vehicle.

Spoke to the dealer service manager this evening. He said a ford engineer came on-site last Friday to investigate the car. They ended up narrowing down the problem to cylinder #3 with piston slap. That's all I could get out of him. He told me that they would be most likely sending this engine back to Ford for further testing and diagnosis while they put in a new engine. The dealer has been very helpful and accommodating, it's a shame Ford has this engine issue.

Here is a video I took of my car making the noise at cold start up. When fully warmed up the sound disappears.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I also had issus with cylinder nr 3

My new motor (crate) has the typewriter tick...
How did you get crate engine? Did you pay for it or was it covered by ford?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
How did you get crate engine? Did you pay for it or was it covered by ford?
If you ask me, whenever you have scored cylinders, they should automatically get a full long block. The reason why, is because when the rings start shaving metal off the side of the cylinder wall, some of those particles get sucked into the vacuum line into the intake. Thus, the whole upper gets coated with fine particles of metal. Proof of this, is the number of guys who have found a lot of particles in their catch cans.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I thought crate was more expensive than stock. Did you pay the difference, or, they covered it all?
Sorry if I was missleading crate engine in this case = a new "OEM" engine only thing not replaced was the manifold.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Update: Talked to the service manager this morning. Dealership is pushing to get out of the buy back and go for a replacement vehicle (of course.. dealership doesn't want a buy-back on their hands). Told him absolutely not until Ford tells me the issue and has a solution, along with build dates/lots affected and 100% prove the replacement vehicle would have a fix. With no answer to that, I'm still going the buy-back route. There's been a delay in the buy-back approval from the Ford customer case manager, I think because of the service manager input. Was also told that I might be subject to having to pay out of pocket for a loaner/rental vehicle. I said i'll need to speak to my lawyer.

Going to go over the service manager and speak to the dealership owner. Seems that the case is at a stall.. i'm about out of patience.

Also- I asked what did Ford find as for a root cause for my engine ticking. They ended up finding metal shavings in the oil pan. Claimed that it was because of bad machining on the block. That's all I could get out of him. I'll try to pry more details out of him later..
Sponsored