Sponsored

Datalogging Pulls Where and How to Get Away With It?

101a

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost 101a
I have never had a car tuned. I was going over the Tune Plus procedure for my A10 https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1...tructions_-_Ecoboost_Mustang.pdf?v=1602770177

I have 255/40R19 tires, which should be 27” high
The 10R80 transmission’s 5th gear is 1.52 ratio
I have the 3.15 automatic differential

For the pull, I need to datalog going from 2500 RPM to 6500 RPM. Plugging all this into a calculator https://spicerparts.com/calculators/transmission-ratio-rpm-calculator, I will have to speed from 42 MPH to 110 MPH. Holy hell.

Where do people do this? Do I need to buy a radar detector before I buy a Cobb tuner and a tune? I live less than 30 minutes away from Tune Plus.
Sponsored

Mambruh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hey @101a, I just did my data log this morning and sent it to Lund, I live in Tucson and was able to find a long road in the southern part with no major traffic and no cops where it was quiet and it took me about 15 minutes for the whole thing. Best bet with no radar is to find a nice quiet area with no houses or businesses. Best of luck though with the process.

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
i would check with them to see if they want 4th instead for your tall diff ratio, too much load can be a bad thing.

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Good question! I've only ever data logged my Mustang Ecoboost on the quarter mile...
I haven't contacted a Pro Tuner yet and will be interested where he suggest!??

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
There is no need to do it in 5th. That's for dyno work. Just run it up the gears in 1st, 2nd, and perhaps 3rd and a tuner of any repute can see plenty. I use an up-hill on-ramp to I95 that has long sight lines and another that has REALLY long sight-lines but is otherwise flat and scout it first.

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Not condoning it, but when I got my GT tuned by AED I did a 5th gear to redline pull on the street. That was a 2012 with a 3.31 gears so like 150+

I waited till it was like 1 or 2am to do so it was dead but still. Scoped out the area before doing it, had no issue :)

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Find a good onramp and scout the next off ramp where police are likely to hang out. No police, then you have more than enough time to do several pulls getting on the highway, then circling back around to go again if needed. I got tagged getting on the highway a couple years ago and the cop followed me for a good 5 miles before splitting off. I think he realized I was just having a bit of fun getting on because I slowed down to the speed limit before he even caught up to me. Normally they nail the left lane hogs or lane weavers doing 120+ sustained while eating a big mac and putting on makeup.
Edit: I forget the midwest can have funky speed limits. It's 75mph everywhere out here so you have to really be haulin' the mail to get pulled over here. If it's like 55 or 65 max where you live, I could see being way more cautious.

MattSin97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I'm just going to go to a speed shop. 125 bucks for 4 Dyno pulls.

Sponsored

GuardEcoBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 16 Ecoboost
If you live less than 30 mins, see if you can get a dyno tune.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
If you live less than 30 mins, see if you can get a dyno tune.
Was just about to say this.
Also, isn't Adam's shop in Texas? You can't find a secluded road anywhere in that desert to do a few pulls!? That seems crazy.

Last edited:

GuardEcoBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 16 Ecoboost
Was just about to say this.
Also, isn't Adam's shop in Texas? You can't find a secluded road anywhere in that desert to do a few pulls!? That seems crazy.
No, he moved back to Minnesota or wherever up north

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Pay for some Dyno pulls. You can usually get three pulls for $85-$100. That way you don’t have to risk high speeds on the highway. I did mine in 3rd gear on the highway when no traffic was around. I also asked if I could make the pulls in 2nd gear at slower speeds and was told that I could, provided the car can hook.
Sponsored